Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 826607 times)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #1725 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »
Aren't the digital gun type in the ears the new high tech way to take the temperature?  How good are those?

They are not quite as accurate, but they are a lot faster.

Offline Hotmail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:47 pm »
Sorry to barge in on your journal again, just wondered about something relating to iodine, though its not ideal, I have always used iodised sal with no problems.  When I use kelp+iodine tablets I get a swollen glands (think Saliva / its around my neck area I have difficulty in swallowing) and a bit of fever similar to flu symptoms, are those detox symptoms?   The elp tablets contains small doses of iodine like 1mg

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: October 16, 2012, 11:51:04 pm »
Aren't the digital gun type in the ears the new high tech way to take the temperature?  How good are those?

My experience with the infrared type of thermometer has not shown them to be all that accurate.  I had a fever a year or so ago, and went to my medical provider's after hours clinic.  I had my trusty digital thermometer with me that showed 102.24 F (39.02 C).  The nurse stuck one of the infrared thermometers in my ear and came up with a reading of 100.7 F (38.16 C).  I asked the nurse to retake my temp with their oral digital thermometer and it read 102.21 F (39.00 C). 

Needless to say, I was less than impressed with the infrared thermometer.  It was much faster than the oral thermometers, but what good is a reading taken at lightening speed that is incorrect.  Maybe they have a Finnegan's Fudge Factor that they are supposed to add to the reading so that temperature from the ear coninsides with the oral thermometers, but the nurse didn't mention it.  In fact, she seemed surprised that my temp was so much higher than her new high tech device indicated.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
Well, no problems with the iodine experiment.  None of the predicted detox reactions with the exception of the one blister on my finger and I have no way to know if that was caused by the iodine protocol I'm following or something else.

There does seem to be a small increase in urine output which is encouraging, especially since it's so early in the game.  Nothing dramatic, only about an ounce (30ml), but it is something and hope springs eternal.

Basal temp is the same 97.0 plus or minus 0.5 deg F depending on room temp and how well I'm covered.

Still getting up 3 times/night and occasionally a 4th time.  Once in the last 5 days I only got up twice.

I'm encouraged enough with the lack of detox symptoms to move to 100mg of iodine per day.  I'm very busy tomorrow so I'll start the new higer dose on Saturday.

Lex   

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: October 22, 2012, 10:29:04 pm »
Well, no problems with the iodine experiment.  None of the predicted detox reactions with the exception of the one blister on my finger and I have no way to know if that was caused by the iodine protocol I'm following or something else.

There does seem to be a small increase in urine output which is encouraging, especially since it's so early in the game.  Nothing dramatic, only about an ounce (30ml), but it is something and hope springs eternal.

Basal temp is the same 97.0 plus or minus 0.5 deg F depending on room temp and how well I'm covered.

Still getting up 3 times/night and occasionally a 4th time.  Once in the last 5 days I only got up twice.

I'm encouraged enough with the lack of detox symptoms to move to 100mg of iodine per day.  I'm very busy tomorrow so I'll start the new higer dose on Saturday.

Lex   

I'm fascinated.  I have a friend who used to purposely overdose on his homemade iodine tincture.  He ended up in the hospital with a very slight case of goiter, but he got all sorts of interesting health improvements along the way.  Everyone's body's different.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: October 23, 2012, 09:57:42 am »
On Saturday I upped the dose to 100mg of iodine per day by adding 6 drops of 5% Lugol's solution to 16oz (500ml) of water 3 times per day - upon arising in the morning, with my daily afternoon meal, and a couple of hours before bedtime.  Accourding to Crow's, 1 drop of their 5% Lugol's contains 6.25mg iodine.  6 drops is 37.5mg taken 3 times per day is 112.5mg/day. 

I also take the recommended supplements.  As suggested by those who supposedly know, I take 1000mg Vit C in the morning, then 1000mg Vit C again with my afternoon meal.  The other supplements (400mg Magnesium, 200mg Selenium, Vit B2, Vit B3) are also taken with my single daily meal.  The only supplement that gets divided is the Vit C.

I've been so focused on the metabolic (body temp), and prostate issues that I failed to notice changes in my skin.  I've had flaky patches of skin and brown age spots on my hands, face and thighs have proliferated as I've gotten older, especially in the past 15 years or so.

The flaky patches have smoothed out and/or become much smaller to the point where they are almost gone.  They were easily felt on my forehead but now my forehead is noticeably smoother with almost no flaky areas.

The brown spots are still there but they have gotten lighter in color.  Where they were a dark brownish color, they are now several shades lighter and more of a medium tan.  I had two dark spots develop on my thighs - one on my outer left thigh and one on my inner right thigh over the past 8 years or so.  They are about 1/4"  (0.75cm) in diameter.  They started out as normal brown age spots, but over time the one on the outer left thigh changed character and became very rough and started to itch.  I had it removed about 3 years ago and lab tests on it came back as noncancerous. 

The remaining large brown spot on my inner right thigh started to go through the same change a few months ago.  It got somewhat darker in color and the texture changed so that it was easily felt by running a finger over it.  My doctor took a look at it at this year's physical and we decided to leave it alone for the time begin but figured it would probably need to be removed about the time I have my annual physical next year.

Well, noticed today that the texture has changed back to normal skin and I can no longer feel it with my fingers.  The color has also noticeably lightened back to what it was a couple of years ago.  This improvement has happened very quickly just over the last 4 weeks or so since I've been on the iodine protocol.

Generally, my skin feels much smoother and more supple.  Don't get me wrong, my skin is still that of someone that is 60 years old, with lines and wrinkles, it just feels smoother to the touch and the age spots are noticeably lighter in color.

Lex
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:19:56 am by lex_rooker »

Offline Bio-shell Avatar

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »
Not sure how accurate any of this thinking is.  I've been monitoring my BG for the last couple of days and it has risen an average of about 10 points throughout the day.  Just had my labs completed before starting this iodine adventure and my fasting glucose was in the low 80s.  This year's labs were taken just before eating my daily meal which is why it was 10-15 points lower than other labs.  Normal morning fasting BG is usually right around 99-100, and BG stays around 100 most of the day except right before my daily meal at which point it drops 10 points or so, and then rises above 100 for a few hours directly after eating before dropping back to around 100 in the evening and stays there until the cycle starts over again.

Since PhilB suggested that I check BG a couple of days ago, with the expectation that it would probably drop a little, every time I've checked it over the last 2 days it has been 10 points or so higher than my previous normal. 

Evening of 10/9  - 113 mg/dl
Morning of 10/10 - 110 mg/dl
Evening of 10/10 -  111 mg/dl
Morning of 10/11 - 113/mg/dl

Can't say this is good or bad, only that this is what I'm measuring.

Lex

that's strange, i'd have expected it to do decrease. then again, the body knows best so perhaps more glucose is kept in the blood because the cells have become more receptive to it. that would certainly be a good thing. almost everyone notices increased energy after a few days of iodine supplementation, and that energy has to come from somewhere (increased metabolism > increased bg is my guess).

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »
Well this is fascinating, Lex.  I appreciate you being such a careful experimenter and documenter.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: October 28, 2012, 07:39:27 am »
That's good news, Lex, and pretty suggestive that it's helping. I'm looking forward to my own Lugol's experiment.

I recommend photographing the spots if you can, if any are still significant. I experienced the same thing with some spots and "moles" I had, including some that were rough and larger and darker and have smoothed, shrunk and lightened over time, with some disappearing. Just telling people about this doesn't seem to impress them, but if I had photographed them while they were still fairly prominent, it might have been more impactful. The odd thing is, some people write it off as a normal aspect of aging. I'd never heard of spots/lesions disappearing due to aging until I reported it after changing my diet and I had never before experienced a single spot improving at all until I changed my diet. It seems too much to be coincidence, but it seemed like some people wanted to find any excuse to write it off.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:46:00 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: October 28, 2012, 04:48:16 pm »
I've had flaky patches of skin and brown age spots on my hands, face and thighs have proliferated as I've gotten older, especially in the past 15 years or so.

I always get brown age spots quickly, especially on my face and arms, when I eat cooked fats or rancid raw fats like olive oil...
Unfortunately even raw frozen animal fats seem to be bad in this regard, but not as bad as cooked fats. Raw and fresh is always the best choice.

I guess that long-term cooked paleo dieter get much more age spots than long-term raw paleo dieter.

Löwenherz

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: October 29, 2012, 03:32:15 am »
I've been at the 100mg iodine per day level for several days and have had no noticiable effects from this change.

I'm still getting up 3-4 times per night.   

Basal temp might have climbed a fraction as it is now seems to be around 97.25 F plus or minus 0.5 degF.

BG is still running about 10 points higher.  This morning it was 109 mg/dl.

Lex

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:11 am »
Sleeping in a cold room is supposed to increase thyroid activity.  I have been working at this for months. It is slow for me. Sleeping outside you get a very cold night followed by much warmer ones. Body adjusts. I don't sleep well if I'm cold at all. I'm down to 2 light wool blankets and one heavy one but I have another heavy one in arms reach if the night is unusually cold and I have to work the next day. If I don't have to get up early and function, I tough it out but I'm toast the next day. Also, lack of quality sleep seems to make me much colder the following day.
    If you want to try sleeping "comfortably cool" you're morning basal may be screwed for weeks while you adjust but, for me it has been almost a year with slow improvements.  My dedication is also for a love of being outdoors in winter, without tons of clothing and sleeping gear.
   You may be more interested in clear and reproducible results. I suggest sticking to 1 method of taking temp. as long as you're not a mouth breather, oral should be fine. Make sure the battery is good on digital thermometer. You could get a 2nd of a similar type and check both to calibrate it.
    Have you considered painting lugol's on the skin around your prostate, then wearing dark underwear to bed, to keep sheets clean? Just wondering if it would have a more direct/ rapid effect on evening urination. You could also use a cheaper form of iodine for external application. Maybe a week's trial to see if there is a difference.
   I love your dedication to your experiments. Thanks for all your hard work in posting.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: October 30, 2012, 09:33:42 am »
Adora,
I actually like to sleep on the cool side.  Especially my feet.  I can't stand my feet to be too warm.  Most of the time I sleep with only a sheet and even then I keep my feet uncovered.  This has driven my wife nuts for over 35 years.  I have the window over my bed open during most of the year and only close it during late fall and winter when the night time temps drop below 50F.  If it gets down into the low 60's or 50's I'll add a blanket but I still keep my feet uncovered unless it gets really cold. 

I haven't had any problem waking up due to temp.  Most of my problem is having to get up to urinate several times during the night.  Since this wakes me up about 3 times during the night, I'll adjust my covers at that time.  My normal routine is to get about 3 hours sleep when I first go to bed.  After that I'm usually up every 2 hours until morning.

There is some discussion in other groups about directly applying Lugol's to the prostate through suppositories.  No real feedback yet on how well this works.  I'll be staying with my original protocol of taking the Lugol's orally for at least 6 months and maybe up to a full year.  If I keep changing protocols then it is difficult to determine what, if anything, is working.  It has taken 60 years for my prostate to get into its current condition.  It may take a good bit of time to see any measurable results from the simple protocol that I'm following just as it took about 2 years for my body to adapt to my ZC diet.

I found a couple of US chemical companies that have 500ml (about 16 oz) of 5% Lugol's for around $25.  Unfortunately they can't sell it to me without a copy of my business license (I don't have one because I'm not a business), as well as several forms that must be filled out, notification to the US Department of Justice, and then a 21 day wait.  Supposedly this is saving us from some sort of illegal drug manufacturing.  What illegal drug is made with Lugol's I have no idea. 

The J. Crow company where I get my current supply is forced to sell 5% Lugol's in 30ml bottles to meet US Department of Justice requirements.  They sell 30ml for the same $25.  What is silly is that I can order as many 30ml bottles as I want, I just have to enter each one as a separate order and pay $25 for each order.  Doing it this way makes 500ml cost over $400.

Another member on this forum pointed me to a Canadian Pharmacy that sells 500ml of 5% Lugol's for $50 which includes shipping.  They will ship to the US but won't guarantee delivery as it may be confiscated by customs.  I take the risk but I've ordered it anyway. If it is delivered then I have a year's supply for the cost of about 2 months of the J. Crow stuff.  I have my fingers crossed.

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: October 30, 2012, 09:43:57 am »
What illegal drug is made with Lugol's I have no idea.
Google to the rescue: methamphetamine. :)

Just received my Lugol's today.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: October 30, 2012, 10:44:41 pm »
Google to the rescue: methamphetamine. :)

Just received my Lugol's today.

Well, everything makes sense then. I'm sure that selling 5% Lugol's in 30ml bottles for $25 USD will completely stop all production of methamphetamine here in the US.  It must also be true that since they've made 5% Lugol's illegal here in the US then it will totally disappear from the black market and world markets as well.  Such laws have certainly worked well for the illegal drug market in general.  Since they've passed these laws and instituted the "war on drugs", illegal drug consumption has only increased about 30 fold here in the US.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: October 30, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »
I'm rather surprised that I've had no identifiable detox reactions (other than one small blister on my left index finger and there is no way of knowing if that was caused by the iodine) .  All the stern warnings and handwringing on the iodine forums would make one think that severe detox reactions are a foregone conclusion.  All the suggested protocols work up to 50mg/day over about a 6 month period.  I started with 50mg for the first month and have been on 100mg for about a week now and have had no problems at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: October 31, 2012, 04:01:32 am »
Interesting article Tyler.  It talked about micrograms and I'm taking milligrams, or 1,000 times more.  The author also came to the conclusion that they couldn't draw any conclusions.  Articles like this drive me nuts.  If they don't have anything to say then the least they can do is not say anything. 

Another thing that concerns me is that there is no mention of how long the studies ran.  It is quite possible that there is a short term reaction to high levels of iodine and that this resolves itself over time.  Remember that this is what happened with the low carb vs athletic performance studies.  When moving from a high carb diet to a low carb diet athletic performance dropped significantly for the first few weeks.  When this happened the researchers stopped the studies and declared that athletes needed a high carb diet for best performance.  Then along came Stephen Phinney who ran a longer term study and found that athletic performance returned over time as the body adapted to low carb intake. 

An example of this related to iodine is that in the initial stages of taking an iodine supplement, many people develop a rather nasty skin rash that can last for weeks.  In the past this has been diagnosed as an allergy to iodine, yet if iodine supplementation continues, over time the rash goes away and other health benefits start to appear - especially in women.  Things like fibroid cysts in the breasts and ovaries disappear.

You just can't take studies at face value.  You must evaluate them very carefully as the formal conclusions that are drawn may not be supported by the actual data in the study, or there may be significant flaws in the study's protocol, like a very short time frame.

Lex
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:26:58 am by lex_rooker »

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:54 am »
The stuff makes me crazy anxious. Normally I'm exceptionally calm. I tried 4 drops of my 2% lugols and struggled to sleep. Which is never a problem. I can use it topically and neither seaweed or fish does it. I'm cutting back on the chlorinated/fluoridated tap water. I drank the salt solution about 2am but it didn't help much.
    I've had the itchy skin too but, the anxiety is what I can stand so, I'm cutting it out again. I take insulin which has no galaxies that I know of but, is loaded with benzines. I think it may be related to my unpleasant detox. I'm glad you're not having any side effects but, not everybody gets off so easy.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: October 31, 2012, 06:36:02 am »
Since they've passed these laws and instituted the "war on drugs", illegal drug consumption has only increased about 30 fold here in the US.
Yeah, I wish they would end this idiotic war on drugs soon. I suspect that most of the politicians know it's stupid but feel they can't oppose it without being seen as "soft on crime."

Portugal decriminalized drugs with stunning success. Contrary to the critics' warnings, drug use and addiction went DOWN instead of up, in part because people were no longer afraid to seek treatment for addiction, and drug-related crime also dropped ("Portugal drug law show results ten years on, experts say," http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g9C6x99EnFVdFuXw_B8pvDRzLqcA). One of the greatest services that Gary Johnson and the Libertarian party provide is to point out the self destructive stupidity of the war on drugs, which we can ill afford with the federal govt's massive debt.

We've now had three presidents in a row who have either smoked dope or snorted coke or both. When they do it, it's "experimenting." When ordinary folk do it, it's a crime worthy of jailtime. It's well past time to end the nonsense.

What is silly is that I can order as many 30ml bottles as I want, I just have to enter each one as a separate order and pay $25 for each order.  Doing it this way makes 500ml cost over $400.
Beware, having in the past dealt with laws and practices that aim to prevent money-laundering, my guess is that American sellers are required to report to the authorities when someone purchases more iodine than avg, including in small, frequent purchases. The worst that can happen is you might be investigated and they would see that you're innocent, but it could be a hassle. I'm not sure what you could do to avoid such hassle.

Things like fibroid cysts in the breasts and ovaries disappear.
Do you know what the mechanism behind this is?

I've had the itchy skin too but, the anxiety is what I can stand so, I'm cutting it out again.
Probably wise. The anxiety might offset any benefit you might get. 

I've started Lugol's therapy myself and will report any positive or negative results, though I'm not going to do frequent detailed reports like Lex, who is commendably providing us with a valuable free resource by making such an effort. I'm hoping it might help with my last stubborn sizable sebaceous cyst that hasn't shrunk like the others, but instead continued to slowly grow. I'll be using it topically as well as orally, as suggested by some Lugol's proponents who claimed it helped with their cysts.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 31, 2012, 12:34:45 pm »
Do you know what the mechanism behind this is?

Not a clue.  The information that I have comes from the breast  cancer sites that William pointed me too.  I also had a confirmation from the nice lady in Canada that I ordered the 500ml of Lugol's from.  She said that if she takes Lugol's orally then she gets severe reactions in the form of rash and headaches.  However, she has put it on her stomach over the area of her ovaries and several cysts have disappeared.  The diagnosis of the cysts was from an ultrasound and after several months of topical applications of 5% Lugol's over the area they are no longer detectable with the ultrasound.  She's very happy and wished me well on my experiment.

Lex

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #1746 on: October 31, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »
Not a clue.  The information that I have comes from the breast  cancer sites that William pointed me too.  I also had a confirmation from the nice lady in Canada that I ordered the 500ml of Lugol's from.  She said that if she takes Lugol's orally then she gets severe reactions in the form of rash and headaches.  However, she has put it on her stomach over the area of her ovaries and several cysts have disappeared.  The diagnosis of the cysts was from an ultrasound and after several months of topical applications of 5% Lugol's over the area they are no longer detectable with the ultrasound.  She's very happy and wished me well on my experiment.

Lex

Nice.  Thanks for sharing that.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

William

« Reply #1747 on: October 31, 2012, 08:41:24 pm »
The stuff makes me crazy anxious.

You might be magnesium deficient, as Mg is supposed to make us calm.
As part of the protocol I take both the malate and the glycinate at least 400 mg/day. Seems to be working.
If you are not used to it, there can be a laxative effect.

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 31, 2012, 10:29:39 pm »
I think I am Mg deficient. I just started to supplement. I may increase it and try again with drops in a few weeks. Thanks William. I didn't have trouble at first, it took about a month to have side effects.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 31, 2012, 11:38:18 pm »
Do you eat dairy Adora?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk