Author Topic: cheap way to get venison  (Read 10234 times)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
cheap way to get venison
« on: October 08, 2010, 06:24:46 am »
hey guys, i've been getting some great wild deer meat lately. here's how i did it (note: this may only apply to people in the US, not sure how much craigslist is used in other countries, maybe there's an equivalent though).

go to your local craigslist page and post a wanted ad for 'last year's game meat'. in the ad, tell them that you would like to buy some good quality deer or hog meat that a hunter may need to liquidate before this year's hunt. i posted one such ad this year and have already got probably 30 pounds of really good deer backstrap and tenderloin along with 10 pounds of wild boar cutlets. i think i paid around 100 dollars total. works out to around $3.33 a pound. good deal for local wild meat. only draw back is it's been frozen for a little under a year (and i found bullet fragments in one backstrap, so be careful). also, a woman just emailed me today saying she had 100 pounds of deer meat that i could have for only $50! that's 50 cents a pound! im supposed to pick it up tomorrow. pretty excited.

i should mention though that it's illegal to sell game meat in most states (definitely in texas). not illegal to buy it though.most hunters aren't too worried about getting caught, but some are really paranoid and insist that they're giving it to you as a gift. for example, one lady 'sold' me a can of beans for $60 and gave me 25 lbs of venison as a 'gift', ha. but i've also gotten responses to my ad from vegans and authorities who tell me it's illegal to sell. which i already knew, but if someone is willing to sell it to you, then why not?

anyways, thought this might be helpful to someone on here. there are tons of hunters out there who have too much meat before hunting season starts. might as well help them make some space for new meat. also, if your friendly with them they might let you have some of this year's meat when they shoot it.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: cheap way to get venison
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:22 am »
nice, i might try that out

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:56 am »
very good information. last year winter, my sister gets a hunter for me from craigslist, who supposed to hunt the deer for me. i put the post on raw paleo forum by asking if i can give my toddler the venison. anyway, after i hear that it might be a risk, i decide to buy beef which is $20 per pound ( the cheap cut is $12 lb) from my amish farmer.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:12:57 am »
very good information. last year winter, my sister gets a hunter for me from craigslist, who supposed to hunt the deer for me. i put the post on raw paleo forum by asking if i can give my toddler the venison. anyway, after i hear that it might be a risk, i decide to buy beef which is $20 per pound ( the cheap cut is $12 lb) from my amish farmer.
12$ a pound?
grass fed bison meat chunks are 10$ a pound, ground 8$lb,

grass fed beef here is 5$lb ground, cheaper cuts 6.59lb

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »
well, i know i pay high price, but i don't have any choice. in NY  the regular beef cost $4.99 ld. where my farmer guarantees me no grains for those cows he sells to me. he usually sells organs $6.00 ld but liver is expansive.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:39:06 pm »
well, i know i pay high price, but i don't have any choice. in NY  the regular beef cost $4.99 ld. where my farmer guarantees me no grains for those cows he sells to me. he usually sells organs $6.00 ld but liver is expansive.
:o raw, you should order from someone else, liver is the cheapest here, 2 something a lb

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:49:39 pm »
:o raw, you should order from someone else, liver is the cheapest here, 2 something a lb
i'm tired of buying meat. 2 times a month  i get delivary those meat from the farm. so much works after that to put them into refrigerator in a proper containers...etc. usually i buy entire cow or veal.  i know i pay fortune, but i can't wait to raise animals for my own.
bugs or country chickens

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:22:32 pm »
Ah, I just love the RVAF diet community. It's so irreverent towards authority.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:35:49 pm »
It's so irreverent towards authority.
It's very true  ;D
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk