Author Topic: Does not eating enough fat= getting fat?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Does not eating enough fat= getting fat?
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:27:24 am »
So I've been kind of eating a mix of mostly ground beef, suet, back fat, and egg yolks for the past week and i've been getting fatter (less lean) than i've been. So I have been ZC more from coincidence than conscientiously. Is this a transitory period where ZCers usually gain fat/weight before becoming better fat adapted? I've also read that having a high fat to protein ratio plays a significant role in this.

FYI heres what I've been basically eating:

1.5 pound grassfed organic ground beef mixed with half a palm size (maybe smaller) or back fat and maybe about a half cup of suet everyday, and maybe 3-4 egg yolks now and again . The past three days I found the above to not be satiating enough so I also ate maybe up to an additional 2 tennis ball chunk size beefs.

Maybe I am not getting enough fat so I over ate the protein and the excess has turned to glucose and then fat?

Today I ate no egg yolks but I upped my fat that I mix in with my ground beef a lot more. I was eating it as I normally do but I found that I felt full pretty fast so I set the rest aside. I ate some more several hours later and I felt full fast again. Basically today I ate 1.3 pounds of total mixture and I'm feel full. Normally I would be wanting more meat/egg yolks and whatnot but I feel very full. And I also feel somewhat heavy. Is this because I'm getting the fat/protein ratio right?

Maybe the heaviness feeling is due to putting way more suet into my mixture than back fat? Maybe put in a larger ratio of back fat since that is supposedly easier for digestion and will thus get rid of the heavy feeling?

I would appreciate any anecdotes/advice/input from you guys.
Thanks  :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Does not eating enough fat= getting fat?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:44:54 am »
Just a vague caution, but I recall most RZCers focusing more on raw fats from raw meats/organs like raw suet or raw tongue. Raw eggs should never be used as a major staple on a rawpalaeodiet, omnivorous or zero-carb.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:38:11 pm »
Just a vague caution, but I recall most RZCers focusing more on raw fats from raw meats/organs like raw suet or raw tongue. Raw eggs should never be used as a major staple on a rawpalaeodiet, omnivorous or zero-carb.
While many of us do there are others here on the forum who do fine with a fair number of eggs each day. I wouldn't recommend dozens but 3-4 like he's eating should be ok. This volume is definitely not natural or sustainable in the wild but we live in a modern world which can provide this opportunity. The yolks are very assimilable which will help during the transition but I would personally begin cutting back after a couple months.

Gosu: You're definitely eating a lot of food each day. I know part of it is due to increased hunger in the transition period but it seems like a ton for your size (per your picture). As long as you're hungry for what you're eating and not forcing it I don't see an issue with it. You might just be gaining weight to a healthy bodyweight set-point.
There seems to be two changes that occur when people eat RPD. Many lose some weight (due to the fat ingested being underutilized until keto-adapted) until they stabilize at a healthy weight and seem to hover there without much effort or thought. Some others gain weight until they reach a weight and stabilize there as well. My guess is this is from a nutritionally starved body (even if the person felt good on a different diet) which quickly puts all the good food brought in to work rebuilding. You might just be putting on some healthy weight. Is it concentrated in one area or sort of evenly distributed out in the body?

Today I ate no egg yolks but I upped my fat that I mix in with my ground beef a lot more. I was eating it as I normally do but I found that I felt full pretty fast so I set the rest aside. I ate some more several hours later and I felt full fast again. Basically today I ate 1.3 pounds of total mixture and I'm feel full. Normally I would be wanting more meat/egg yolks and whatnot but I feel very full. And I also feel somewhat heavy. Is this because I'm getting the fat/protein ratio right?
That's roughly what I eat each day. I easily sustain my ~180lb frame on this. Granted, I am definitely adapted after ~16 months.

Maybe the heaviness feeling is due to putting way more suet into my mixture than back fat? Maybe put in a larger ratio of back fat since that is supposedly easier for digestion and will thus get rid of the heavy feeling?
That's definitely a possibility. Suet is incredibly saturated and as a result calorie dense. It does take a lot of bile to break down amounts like you're eating. I assume that your body is up for it though as you're not mentioning diarrhea.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »
Ok so nothing like bringing on the New Year waking up feeling like a you've been hit by a truck... -v

Starting two days ago I upped the fat ratio in my ground beef mix a LOT. I still had some back fat mixed in there as well two days ago. Then came yesterday when I ran out of back fat and so I still kept the high fat ratio... only it was all suet. Well my stomach was rumbling pretty good most of the day. I ate a pound of that mixture and in addition, I ate half a pound of lamb for the first time. The lamb was just from the local supermarket...

I had two bowel movements... not diarrhea however. Also since I was feeling very mentally apathetic and sluggish I had two brilliant ideas: drink down a small pinch of some sea salt dissolved in water and also take a magnesium supplement (magnesium oxide) since magnesium deficiency symptoms are muscle weakness and fatigue (which is what I was feeling). The salt was for the apathy since that is one of the symptoms for sodium deficiency.

I woke up this morning with a pretty big stomach ache. I dragged myself out of bed to drink some water and got a hot pack to place on my stomach and curled up in a fetal position for two hours. I feel slightly better but every joint in my body aches and I have a slight headache. No fever.

I'm thinking this whole experience was either due to the lots of suet/ beef mixture or the supermarket lamb.. What do you guys think?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk