Author Topic: Namaste!  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Iyogaprops

• Forager
    • View Profile
Namaste!
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I hope to find fellow yoga enthusiasts and engage in conversations with them. I love to know yoga tips and of course, I want to be of help to others as much as I can. :)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Namaste!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »
Welcome!

I am just now getting into restorative yoga, it has helped ease my spine/back pain wonderfully

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:05:52 pm »
Yoga can be great. Be careful you don't overdo specific postures, because you can permanently lengthen a ligament by too much stretching.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 03:56:18 pm »
Yoga can be great. Be careful you don't overdo specific postures, because you can permanently lengthen a ligament by too much stretching.
What harm does that exactly do? I'm just curious as I used to do yoga and plan to do so again, soon.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:19:18 pm »
Hi, my wife is into daily yoga exercises.  I love watching her moves.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:36:26 pm »
What harm does that exactly do? I'm just curious as I used to do yoga and plan to do so again, soon.

There's a structure in each set of asanas. A well-composed set will be balanced in terms of directions of bends and twists (front, back, side/side, twist right/twist left) and building intensity (from a warm-up to a grand finale). Problem is, when some people learn a few asanas and then practice without a balanced program, they often do a few "favorite" asanas, or skip the warm-up and go right to the extreme postures, they will get an unbalanced result.

Same thing happens when body builders work on their pecs, abs, and biceps because they can see those regions in the mirror. They never build their core, legs and backs.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TheButcher

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:03:40 pm »
Hi! I'm also new here. Have been doing yoga on and off for close to a decade! Love it. Trying to adopt a daily practice again:) It makes a world of difference.

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 11:20:47 pm »
Same thing happens when body builders work on their pecs, abs, and biceps because they can see those regions in the mirror. They never build their core, legs and backs.
Not just that but bodybuilders never incorporate exercises that use multiple muscles together. They isolate muscles. Our bodies are not built the way they train them, nor what they train them for. Our bodies are built to have muscles working together.
Our muscles/bodies should be trained the way they are built to work. Which means mobility, agility, strength, endurance, flexibility, plus whatever else - all of them, which also would mean having a very good physical appearance, something like an athletic body.

For the last week I've been writing down different exercises (including different variations of same exercises) that can be done in the gym, primarily with weights. Currently have about 700 exercises (about a hundred of those are for abs/core...). People in general maybe use only 50 of them (among which some few are very bad exercises that should never be done at all; and only about 5 for abs, I don't think they are even aware there's such a thing as "core", or just 1-2 exercises for core), and even those they mostly do wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk