Author Topic: Anyone have years worth of ZC carnivorous?  (Read 56449 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Anyone have years worth of ZC carnivorous?
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2010, 10:34:29 pm »
If I were you, I would follow my gut feeling.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:02 pm »
(just wanted to bump this to the 11th page so it would get more views)

Hey guys.

I just recieved my suet I ordered and you know when you eat a steak and the fat near the skin is always so sweet, buttery and melts in your mouth? Totally yummy! And then inside the steak there is sometimes this gritty, non tasty, non melting type of fat that to be honest feels kinda gross?

Anyway suet tastes and feels just like that. And to be honest it just feels kinda unnatural seeing as it doesn't melt in my mouth.

So I'm curious what are your oppionions on suet? Is it safe? Because it feels like this stuff would just clog up my arteries even if it's raw.

The reason why I'm a bit scared of it is because my heart has been feeling a bit off since I started being carnivorous. I don't get palputations but it just feels kinda "heavier" and like it's working a lot harder. To be honest it scares me a little bit.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

William

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:38 am »

The reason why I'm a bit scared of it is because my heart has been feeling a bit off since I started being carnivorous. I don't get palpitations but it just feels kinda "heavier" and like it's working a lot harder. To be honest it scares me a little bit.

It happens.
When I went strict raw zero carb/high fat I noticed a rapid heartbeat. Since my problem was/is heart disease this was not welcome, but as long as there are no palpitations/arrhythmias I lived with it.
It gradually goes back to normal; others have noticed the same thing.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2010, 12:25:33 am »
I'm rather wary of this quasi-WAPF notion of breastfeeding past the age of 2. I mean, technically, once babies have grown their teeth, they shouldn't really need to be breastfed any more, and it's just really weird to read about mothers breastfeeding their children till the age of 9 etc.. Granted, in earlier times, tribeswomen breastfed for 2 years, but that was more to do with the fact that breastfeeding has a contraceptive component.

Actually, some groups breastfed until much later...I'm thinking of some Native American tribes, in particular, around the Great Lakes, although there may have been others.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2010, 12:26:37 am »
...my heart has been feeling a bit off since I started being carnivorous. I don't get palputations but it just feels kinda "heavier" and like it's working a lot harder. To be honest it scares me a little bit.

I find that eating a lot of Omega-3s tends to control this.  They make the blood flow more easily.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2010, 12:34:47 am »
So I'm curious what are your oppionions on suet? Is it safe? Because it feels like this stuff would just clog up my arteries even if it's raw.

Fat does not dissolve in water and it does not dissolve in blood.  The fat you eat will never ever be in your blood.  That's the biggest misconception out there.  What is in your blood are lipo-proteins and triglycerides which are very different from the solid white animal fat.  Google fat digestion for more details.

Also, fat does not dissolve in saliva that's why it sticks and feels rubbery.  Heated fat on the other hand does feel more like butter.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2010, 07:03:46 am »
I'm rather wary of this quasi-WAPF notion of breastfeeding past the age of 2. I mean, technically, once babies have grown their teeth, they shouldn't really need to be breastfed any more, and it's just really weird to read about mothers breastfeeding their children till the age of 9 etc.. Granted, in earlier times, tribeswomen breastfed for 2 years, but that was more to do with the fact that breastfeeding has a contraceptive component.
I didn't get the notion from WAPF and didn't even know they advocated that. I got it from scientists' reports on HGs--I believe it was Cordain, Eaton, Lee, Leakey, etc. However, 3 years was just a guesstimate, as I'm not thoroughly convinced it's necessary to go much beyond 6 months if one weans the child to raw or near-raw meat/fat/organs. For example, Gray-Hawk Audette weaned at that age and turned out exceptionally well, according to Ray (though I know you don't buy his claims). Breastmilk does provide a useful alternate source of food to HGs when animal flesh is scarce in the wild and it is very healthy food for infants, but if it got to be a hassle and the baby seemed fine on raw meat and fat, then I would be fine with that too. The real problem comes in when people feed their infants formula, cow/soy milk, cereal, etc.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2010, 05:31:24 pm »
(just wanted to bump this to the 11th page so it would get more views)

Hey guys.

I just recieved my suet I ordered and you know when you eat a steak and the fat near the skin is always so sweet, buttery and melts in your mouth? Totally yummy! And then inside the steak there is sometimes this gritty, non tasty, non melting type of fat that to be honest feels kinda gross?

Anyway suet tastes and feels just like that. And to be honest it just feels kinda unnatural seeing as it doesn't melt in my mouth.

The reason why I'm a bit scared of it is because my heart has been feeling a bit off since I started being carnivorous. I don't get palputations but it just feels kinda "heavier" and like it's working a lot harder. To be honest it scares me a little bit.
  I don't like  beef suet most of the time. That is, I've gotten 1 or 2 sources which tasted OK, but most are so bland and tasteless that I nowadays only eat raw suet if other raw animal foods are not immediately available. I don't view it as a superior fat, quite the contrary. I far prefer raw marrow or raw tongue or raw fatty muscle-meat such as leg of mutton(all grassfed/organic, of course). If I could get hold of suet from wild animals, I might go for that but beef suet is an inferior food AFAIAC.

As for the heart-palpitations etc., everyone seems to go through severely increased stresses on the body  when undergoing raw ZC. Some people get through it, after enduring many months of these trials - others, such as myself, just get worse and worse and never recover, and have to give it up sooner or later or end up in the morgue.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2010, 09:15:17 pm »
Quote from: Tyler wrote:
it's just really weird to read about mothers breastfeeding their children till the age of 9 etc.. Granted, in earlier times, tribeswomen breastfed for 2 years, but that was more to do with the fact that breastfeeding has a contraceptive component.
BTW, 2 years is the shortest amount of time I've seen listed for HG groups. The average seems to be around 3-4 years and some go beyond that if they don't have another child in the meantime.

As for the "weirdness," that's a social factor. Breastfeeding beyond 1 or 2 years seems "weird" to many moderners (and in the recent past, many American doctors actually advised mothers to skip it altogether and use formulas instead) because it's generally no longer practiced in the modern world, except in rare cases, and we have an abundance of food that eliminates its survival value. To HGs, breastfeeding for 2, 3, 4 or more years seems perfectly natural because they seem to look at it as "It's good food, so why not use it?"

This subject was discussed before in this forum and I think someone claimed the numbers I gave for HGs were too low (I think I gave a range of 2-7 years) and said that 6 years was the minimum for HGs, with 9 years as the actual upper range. It's interesting that my figures have now been faulted as both too low and too high. I could see some HGs possibly going to 9 years, but 2 years is too low to be an avg--it's more the lower end of the range than an avg. I also question this idea of the chief reason for HG women breastfeeding for more than 6 months was as a contraceptive. What's your source on this?

In the last discussion someone suggested I inquire about it with my local La Leche League, which I did and I posted the response. I found it on my PC, so here it is again:

Hi Phil,

Thank you so much for contacting La Leche League of Burlington.  This is such a fascinating
question and really brings out the point that breastfeeding is not merely a biological function but
is strongly influenced by culture.  I think the reason you've found varying ranges is because the
ranges varied.  Katherine Dettwyler, of Texas A&M University, has studied and written on the
"natural" age of weaning.  Based on various biological factors and comparing humans to
primates, a "natural" age of weaning might be anywhere between 2 1/2 and 7 years of age.  Baby
teeth were once referred to as "milk" teeth; children begin to lose their first teeth between the
ages of 5 and 7. www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html  

The longer duration of breastfeeding helps the child spacing and increases the likelihood of that
child reaching adulthood.

According to Meredith Small, author of Our Babies, Ourselves, the !Kung San people of the
Kalahari Desert, Botswana, are "some of the last remaining hunters and gatherers on earth."  They
are a semi-nomadic people still living for the most part a traditional, for them, lifestyle.  The
children nurse for four years.   The Ache of Paraguay are a people who were traditionally hunter
gatherers in a forest habitat and have been living in reservations for the last 40 years.  Their
current lifestyle "combines settled horticulture with long treks into the forest.  These treks
basically present the same restrictions, opportunities and dangers that living in the forest
presented only a few years ago." The children here nurse for two years.  "Ache women have an
average of  eight live births, much more than the !Kung San people [or] other South American
Indian groups."

On the other hand, I recently read in The Spirit of the English Language by John Wulsin  that
Chaucer probably nursed until he was five.  Juliet, of Romeo and Juliet nursed until the age of
three.

I hope this answers your question.

warm regards,
Laura McCormick

In summary, breastmilk is a nutritious source of animal food that some cultures continue using up to the age of seven and maybe even beyond, but if you have plentiful raw meat and fat available it may not be necessary beyond the age of 6 months.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:12 pm »
The most common figure I heard about was 2 years. For one thing, child mortality is very high in HG societies, so spacing births at really long intervals from each other is not a good idea(breastfeeding has a strong contraceptive effect, so I reckon that that must be the primary reason for breastfeeding). What I meant was that, technically, on a  natural level, as soon as infants have their first teeth appear properly, then there is no biological requirement for breastfeeding any more as they can eat the various foods without issue(indeed wild animals commonly routinely  start with breastfeeding, then progress on to regurgitating food for the youngsters, and get them to eat prey  well before they stop being infants.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »
The most common figure I heard about was 2 years. For one thing, child mortality is very high in HG societies, so spacing births at really long intervals from each other is not a good idea

That is the opposite of what Laura McCormick wrote, so do you think that she was lying?

Please quote credible source(s) for your statement.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:46 am »
That is the opposite of what Laura McCormick wrote, so do you think that she was lying?
Given that she's part of an organisation that favours long-term breastfeeding far beyond the norm , I'd say it's extremely likely that she is likely to be prone to exaggeration, if not lying.

Please quote credible source(s) for your statement.
  Here's a source mentioning 2.9 years as being average age of weaning for hunter-gatherers:-

"1.   Hunter-gatherer children typically had a much longer age at weaning than what is considered normal in the western world. Studies of five hunter-gatherer societies (!Kung, Ache, Inuit, Australian Aborigines, and Hadza) reveal the average age of weaning to be 2.9 years (Eaton SB et al. Women's reproductive cancers in evolutionary context. Quart Rev Biol 1994;69:353-67.)"  taken from:-

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:16:47 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2010, 04:34:51 am »
What would your plan be for feeding your own kids?

Me? Breast milk for as long as feasible (preferably 3 years or more) try introducing ground raw meat and fat at 6 months or so, raw pemmican as road food. ...

I'm rather wary of this quasi-WAPF notion of breastfeeding past the age of 2. ...

I didn't get the notion from WAPF and didn't even know they advocated that. I got it from scientists' reports on HGs--I believe it was Cordain, Eaton, Lee, Leakey, etc. However, 3 years was just a guesstimate, as I'm not thoroughly convinced it's necessary to go much beyond 6 months if one weans the child to raw or near-raw meat/fat/organs.

The most common figure I heard about was 2 years. For one thing, child mortality is very high in HG societies, so spacing births at really long intervals from each other is not a good idea....

Here's a source mentioning 2.9 years as being average age of weaning for hunter-gatherers:-

"1.   Hunter-gatherer children typically had a much longer age at weaning than what is considered normal in the western world. Studies of five hunter-gatherer societies (!Kung, Ache, Inuit, Australian Aborigines, and Hadza) reveal the average age of weaning to be 2.9 years (Eaton SB et al. Women's reproductive cancers in evolutionary context. Quart Rev Biol 1994;69:353-67.)"  taken from:-

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/

Correct Tyler, that's one of MY sources (an article by Dr. Eaton et al from Dr. Cordain's website--both of whom I mentioned above) and is actually the specific reference I was thinking of when I mentioned the 3 years figure, and I think it was the first one I read years ago. I rounded the 2.9 to 3 years (2.9 is closer to 3 than 2). So are you acknowledging that 3 years is a more accurate HG avg than 2 and that it's a natural figure not just a weird quasi-WAPF notion? If you do acknowledge that the Eaton 2.9 year number is accurate, why did you originally say you're "wary of this quasi-WAPF notion of breastfeeding past the age of 2"? It's amazingly ironic that you criticized the notion as coming from WAPF, whereas I hadn't seen their discussion of it, and then you cite one of my sources where I DID get the notion from. Instead of "quasi-WAPF notion", I guess you could call it my "quasi-Eaton notion."

The Eaton 3 year figure is actually one of the more conservative estimates, with others going higher (such as those in the Laura McCormick letter I reposted--which I notice you didn't answer William's question on). Plus, I wrote of trying to introduce solid foods at 6 months, whereas Naomi Aldort, Ph.D. went much further than that right in this forum, saying that <<Many babies breast-feed exclusively are not interested in anything else for a couple of "YEARS" not months. That's best for them.>> (http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/omnivorous-raw-paleo/weaning/msg21441/#msg21441). And here's where I got taken to task for using the conservative 3 year figure, instead of 6 or more years: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/omnivorous-raw-paleo/weaning/msg21447/#msg21447
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:46:14 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
When I said 2 years, I meant around 2 years, not by their 2nd birthday. As for claims for higher ages, I was suggesting that hunter-gatherer tribes only breastfed for longer for unnatural reasons(ie to delay further pregnancies in the meantime due to the contraceptive nature of breastfeeding), not because it was best for the child. Not only do a baby's growing teeth cause problems re breastfeeding(as some mothers mention) but , as I pointed out re wildlife, weaning comes quite early in childhood among wild animals with cubs etc. quickly being fed on regurgitated food, being encouraged to eat prey caught by the mother etc.

Whatever the case, I really don't want a situation where it becomes forum policy to encourage breastfeeding up till the age of puberty or whatever age the extremists in LaLeche encourage(I've so far heard of the age of 9 being commonly mentioned). We have enough hasslefrom the general public over the raw-meat-issue, there's no need for us to just be anti-Establishment purely for its own sake, without reasonable cause.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:20:29 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »
Milk is for babies.. when you're 5+ you're not a baby anymore, shit, when you get teeth you're hardly a baby anymore.. I know they 'call' them milk teeth, but that doesnt mean you're supposed to drink milk as long as you have those teeth haha..

I imagine a reason they would have breastfeed longer is because its 'free food'. 
That's not paleo.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2010, 09:23:49 pm »
I love that word "weaning" and use it often when encouraging people to cut out all raw dairy from their diet. It's a timely reminder that they are now adults and that wild animals do not continue drinking raw milk past a certain point in their infancy.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2010, 05:25:32 am »
Hope you don't mind a lot of questions on this, Tyler, as it's a subject I don't know much about beyond the observational reports on HGs, like those of Eaton et al.

I only mentioned what I might theoretically do because I was asked. Like I said, the 3 year figure was just a guesstimate I threw out based on Eaton and other scientists and I only meant it as supplementary breastfeeding, not exclusive. I have no firm commitment to any period beyond 6 months. This appears to be a somewhat emotional subject, probably because it involves children. I got taken to task for not using a 6-9 years figure and now it looks like I took a bit of heat for stating a guesstimate of 3 or more years instead of 2 or 2.9 (and I was thinking I would play it by ear and maybe it would work out to around 3, maybe a little more up to 3.5 or 4 years and maybe less down to 6 months--as apparently with Gray-Hawk--all depending on how my theoretical infant actually responded and what the mother's needs were). It's all rather puzzling to me. Looks like I stepped into a minefield and it may be better to refuse to answer questions on the subject. ;)

When I said 2 years, I meant around 2 years, not by their 2nd birthday.
OK, and by 3 years I didn't mean that 2.9 years was way too low, so it sounds like we basically agree that 2.9 years is a reasonable figure for at least some HGs. Like I said, beyond 6 months I view it as probably a supplementary food rather than necessarily an exclusive one, so my view may not be nearly as different from yours as you thought.

I think the most important thing is what replaces the breastmilk. If it's the SAD, then up to 7 years of supplemental breastfeeding might be theoretically beneficial. If it's raw meat and fat, then I think the 6 month weaning of Gray-Hawk looks reasonable, but I don't have a firm opinion either way.

As for claims for higher ages, I was suggesting that hunter-gatherer tribes only breastfed for longer for unnatural reasons(ie to delay further pregnancies in the meantime due to the contraceptive nature of breastfeeding), not because it was best for the child.

Not only do a baby's growing teeth cause problems re breastfeeding(as some mothers mention) but , as I pointed out re wildlife, weaning comes quite early in childhood among wild animals with cubs etc. quickly being fed on regurgitated food, being encouraged to eat prey caught by the mother etc.
I thought the baby's teeth problem was described as mainly a problem of discomfort for the mothers, rather than harm to the children? Do you have any evidence directly supporting contraception as the primary reason for HG breastfeeding beyond a certain age and at what age does it kick in? I know there is evidence supporting the partial contraceptive ability of breastfeeding, but is there evidence supporting it as substantially more important than all other reasons; that is, showing HGs engaged in breastfeeding past one or two years with the primary aim of contraception, rather than as a secondary benefit? Are there no other benefits to be obtained by breastfeeding beyond 2 years than contraception (which may be of benefit even to moderners, BTW)? My memory's not clear on this, but I think 2 years is the minimum age for the child to be able to walk and keep up with a nomadic tribe, so a mother is free to have another child, right? Are you saying the primary reason after that is contraception?

I'm not aware of any reported harm to the child from breastmilk up to the age of 7 (the high range I've seen, though Rawzi mentioned 9 years as the high range for trad. Inuits), other than the potential for social stigma and maybe psychological maternal dependence (and I don't know when if ever these kick in for HG children whose mothers are eating healthy diets). Have you seen any reports on this?

Whatever the case, I really don't want a situation where it becomes forum policy ...
As for forum policy, you'd have to take that up with GS, as I don't control that. Maybe you mean you don't want to see advocacy of breastfeeding beyond 2.9 years become part of the norm here?

to encourage breastfeeding up till the age of puberty or whatever age the extremists in LaLeche encourage(I've so far heard of the age of 9 being commonly mentioned).

All the La Leche League sources I've seen (to which the paleodiet.com website and someone here directed me--so all my initial sources were Paleo-related) so far mentioned 2 to 7 years, which is also what the observational studies of HGs by scientists indicate. So far I've only seen RawZi mention 9 years, but maybe she got that from LLL? I don't know much about LLL and didn't know they were considered extremists by some, though the WAPF apparently disagrees with them.

We have enough hasslefrom the general public over the raw-meat-issue, there's no need for us to just be anti-Establishment purely for its own sake, without reasonable cause.
Do you view any recent posts in this forum as "anti-Establishment purely for its own sake," or is that just a fear you have that might theoretically develop? I certainly don't write or do anything just to be anti-establishment. I go wherever the facts lead me and I don't care if the facts are not popular with the establishment and I also don't care if they ARE popular with the establishment. I'm not going to lie just to please the "establishment" and I'm not going to ignore the facts if they do line up with what the establishment wants. If you have evidence, present it. Evidence is much more likely to persuade me than your opinions and fears.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2010, 05:30:58 am »
Milk is for babies.. when you're 5+ you're not a baby anymore, shit, when you get teeth you're hardly a baby anymore.. I know they 'call' them milk teeth, but that doesnt mean you're supposed to drink milk as long as you have those teeth haha..
You raise a good question. Why ARE they called milk teeth (ie, what is the origin and original meaning of the term, what inspired it)? It's a term I have only a vague recollection of hearing before I read mention of it in that email.

I imagine a reason they would have breastfeed longer is because its 'free food'.  
That was my guess as to the primary reason too (and healthy free food at that, with other reasons like contraception being secondary). It seems reasonable to me, but I'm a simple man, so maybe I'm missing something and I'm open to evidence pointing elsewhere.

Folks, I'm going where you send me on this. Someone told me to check with LLL, so I did. Now someone's suggesting their info is laughable...so present something else and I'll check it out. It's not complicated. Provide the evidence and I'll examine it. The fact that the LLL's sources tend to be scientific reports on HGs seems impressive, but they tend to be old sources that I can't access the original documents for. So if someone has the original documents the LLL cited or other scientific sources and could provide them or some context from them, that would be constructive. I remember coming across stuff on this about HGs in several anthropology articles and books, and my recollection is that 3-4 years were the most common weaning ages mentioned, and I believe the reason given for BF up to 2 or so years was so the child could keep up with the nomadic tribe, but I don't remember a reason for after that, and I unfortunately didn't save the references.

I'm open minded on this and many other subjects. As Socrates said, "All I know is that I know nothing (with certainty)." I ask questions, seek evidence, check it out, ask more questions, pose hypotheses, get feedback, etc. I don't hold to any dogma and have trouble comprehending the mindset of those who do. You'll impress me more with evidence and logic than insults, jokes, dogma, magic, Bible quotes, political agendas, etc. Everything beyond evidence and logical reasoning seems to be variations of hocus-pocus.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:52:33 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2010, 06:01:47 am »

... Do you have any evidence directly supporting contraception as the primary reason for HG breastfeeding beyond a certain age and at what age does it kick in? I know there is evidence supporting the partial contraceptive ability of breastfeeding, but is there evidence supporting it as substantially more important than all other reasons; that is, showing HGs engaged in breastfeeding past one or two years with the primary aim of contraception, rather than as a secondary benefit? Are there no other benefits to be obtained by breastfeeding beyond 2 years than contraception (which may be of benefit even to moderners, BTW)? My memory's not clear on this, but I think 2 years is the minimum age for the child to be able to walk and keep up with a nomadic tribe, so a mother is free to have another child, right? Are you saying the primary reason after that is contraception?

I'm not aware of any reported harm to the child from breastmilk up to the age of 7 (the high range I've seen, though Rawzi mentioned 9 years as the high range for trad. Inuits), other than the potential for social stigma and maybe psychological maternal dependence (and I don't know when if ever these kick in for HG children whose mothers are eating healthy diets). Have you seen any reports on this?

All the La Leche League sources I've seen (to which the paleodiet.com website and someone here directed me--so all my initial sources were Paleo-related) so far mentioned 2 to 7 years, which is also what the observational studies of HGs by scientists indicate. So far I've only seen RawZi mention 9 years, but maybe she got that from LLL? I don't know much about LLL and didn't know they were considered extremists by some, though the WAPF apparently disagrees with them.
Do you view any recent posts in this forum as "anti-Establishment purely for its own sake," or is that just a fear you have that might theoretically develop? I certainly don't write or do anything just to be anti-establishment. I go wherever the facts lead me and I don't care if the facts are not popular with the establishment and I also don't care if they ARE popular with the establishment. I'm not going to lie just to please the "establishment" and I'm not going to ignore the facts if they do line up with what the establishment wants. If you have evidence, present it. Evidence is much more likely to persuade me than your opinions and fears.

I didn't get that part from LLL.  A Rawist on another raw forum put up information like that, and I (back then a couple years ago) had then found confirmation on Google.  The woman who had posted back then nurse each of her kids about five years.  She has since taken up cooked grains to eat and share with her family.  She said several of the years she was nursing she ate mostly (raw) meat from reindeer and such and everything else what she called primal (berries I guess).  

As far as contraception, I'm sure it must work pretty well, but in the world these days I'm not going to suggest to depend on it.

I have attended LLL meetings and got assistance from them, but don't remember anyone nursing toddlers in front of me.  I was also involved in playgroups and other organizations where I have seen women nurse four year olds in front of me.  I thought it was strange, but if it works for them, so be it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:41 am »
   I didn't get that part from LLL.  A Rawist on another raw forum put up information like that, and I (back then a couple years ago) had then found confirmation on Google.  
The only source I could find mentioning 9 years was this one, and it is directly from the LLLI, so I doubt Tyler will take this seriously and I wish there was a better source myself:
"In ancient India, influenced by the belief that the longer a child nursed the longer he would live, mothers usually nursed their children as long as possible, often seven or even nine years sometimes. In Tsinghai, China, mothers observed in 1956 were still nursing for several years, five years not being unusual, or until another child was born. In Inner Mongolia in 1951, children nursed two or three years, nor was it rare that a six- or seven-year-old would want to nurse for a bit of reassurance." (Bumgarner, Norma Jane, Mothering Your Nursing Toddler. Schaumburg, Illinois, USA: LLLI, 1982; 67-68. http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/priscilla_colletto.html)

I have attended LLL meetings and got assistance from them, but don't remember anyone nursing toddlers in front of me.  I was also involved in playgroups and other organizations where I have seen women nurse four year olds in front of me.  I thought it was strange, but if it works for them, so be it.
Conceptions of what's strange tend to be socially based. What's strange today may be "normal" tomorrow. According to all the sources I've seen, it wasn't that long ago that mothers were nursing their children for 2 years or longer. Did the LLL folks seem extreme or fanatical?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »

I think the most important thing is what replaces the breastmilk. If it's the SAD, then up to 7 years of supplemental breastfeeding might be theoretically beneficial. If it's raw meat and fat, then I think the 6 month weaning of Gray-Hawk looks reasonable, but I don't have a firm opinion either way.

I remember 1 poster on another forum pointing out that breastfeeding is pointless on a SAD diet, or indeed any cooked diet, as the nutritional value of the breast-milk is then almost nil. I disagreed with the person at the time, but when I thought about it, the only benefits of breast-milk, if the mother is on a poor diet, are the beneficial bacteria, hormones and enzymes and similiar co-factors. The obvious assumption is that while such hormones etc. might be useful(and designed) for a young baby re building a suitable supply of healthy bacteria etc., they  are largely worthless for any older child. And, in such circumstances, the child is better placed to eat a healthy diet of soild foods.
I thought the baby's teeth problem was described as mainly a problem of discomfort for the mothers, rather than harm to the children?
Naturally, it bothers the mother, not the child. Teeth-worn nipples are rather more painful a symptom than mere "discomfort". But the obvious point is that once a child grows teeth, it is naturally designed to start eating solid foods(albeit perhaps regurgitated etc. foods at first)

Do you have any evidence directly supporting contraception as the primary reason for HG breastfeeding beyond a certain age and at what age does it kick in? I know there is evidence supporting the partial contraceptive ability of breastfeeding, but is there evidence supporting it as substantially more important than all other reasons; that is, showing HGs engaged in breastfeeding past one or two years with the primary aim of contraception, rather than as a secondary benefit? Are there no other benefits to be obtained by breastfeeding beyond 2 years than contraception (which may be of benefit even to moderners, BTW)? My memory's not clear on this, but I think 2 years is the minimum age for the child to be able to walk and keep up with a nomadic tribe, so a mother is free to have another child, right? Are you saying the primary reason after that is contraception?

Of course. You have to bear in mind that for hunter-gatherers, breastfeeding was the ONLY effective contraceptive method without the Pill, so it was a major consideration. Plus, hunter-gatherers are well-known to deliberately breastfeed their children frequently during the day:-

http://tropej.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pdf_extract/28/1/1

which apparently enhances the contraceptive effect of breastfeeding(prolactin levels in breast-milk are apparently key to contraception).

There are plenty of sensationalist reports in the media focusing on really weird mothers breastfeeding up till the age of 9, even 10, last I checked. I don't think one can reasonably claim that such behaviour is remotely normal or doesn't affect the child. Breastfeeding might be normal for a child unable to feed itself properly, but as soon as it's able to do so, creating any sort of artificial dependence on the Mother is going to cause Oedipus-complex related issues. I know some parents are reluctant to let their children grow up and see them as eternal children, but this is a bizarre extreme version thereof.

There are plenty of online mentions of breastfeeding children in modern developed world till 8  and 9. And that's only those who aren't secretive about the practice. As for forum-policy, I do think there's a fine line between good nutrition for a child and child-abuse. I mean, rawists already have in a few cases got into trouble in the family courts simply for feeding their children on raw diets, I don't think we should make things worse by just being contrarian and doing something simply because hunter-gatherers do it. Like I said before, hunter-gatherers are constricted by different pressures than we are in the modern, developed world, so have entirely different reasons for practices such as breastfeeding for unnaturally longer periods, re contraception or whatever. In this regard, it makes much better sense to follow the common-sense shown in the animal kingdom who are more natural in their way of life than hunter-gatherer tribes.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:42:47 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2010, 09:42:12 pm »
In this regard, it makes much better sense to follow the common-sense shown in the animal kingdom who are more natural in their way of life than hunter-gatherer tribes.

Do you really believe that animals have common sense?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2010, 04:18:07 am »
Do you really believe that animals have common sense?
  They have instinct which is much the same.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2010, 06:29:43 am »
I remember 1 poster on another forum pointing out that breastfeeding is pointless on a SAD diet, or indeed any cooked diet, as the nutritional valuie of the breast-milk is then almost nil. I disagreed with the person at the time, but when I thought about it, the only benefits of breast-milk, if the mother is on a poor diet, are the beneficial bacteria, hormones and enzymes and similiar co-factors. The obvious assumption is that while such hormones etc. might be useful(and designed) for a young baby re building a suitable supply of healthy bacteria etc., they  are largely worthless for any older child. And, in such circumstances, the child is better placed to eat a healthy diet of soild foods.
Once again you're discussing stuff I didn't mention. Straw men are much easier to handle than actual questions and points people raise, but nobody learns much this way. Of course "a healthy diet of solid foods" is superior to breastmilk "on a SAD diet." Where did I say otherwise?

Naturally, it bothers the mother, not the child.
My question was regarding the child. I'm still waiting for evidence of harm to the child. If you don't have any beyond your opinions, then please just say so.

Of course. You have to bear in mind that for hunter-gatherers, breastfeeding was the ONLY effective contraceptive method without the Pill, so it was a major consideration. Plus, hunter-gatherers are well-known to deliberately breastfeed their children frequently during the day:-

http://tropej.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/pdf_extract/28/1/1

which apparently enhances the contraceptive effect of breastfeeding(prolactin levels in breast-milk are apparently key to contraception).
It's good pieces of data like this that I'm after. Thanks! This is a good start. It's at least somewhat suggestive that contraception could theoretically have been the primary motivation, though not conclusive. If you find anything that talks about the contraceptive effect being more important to the HGs than the food value, let me know.

There are plenty of sensationalist reports in ...
I can understand your concern about protecting the forum from avoidable ridicule, but concerns expressed about fear of potential ridicule don't answer my questions or provide me with data or logic, which is what I'm generally after. Besides, do we really want to base our analysis on what the media thinks rather than the facts?

There are plenty of online mentions of breastfeeding children in modern developed world till 8  and 9. And that's only those who aren't secretive about the practice.
Yeah, I'm skeptical of the claims of the claimed benefits of breastfeeding beyond 7 yrs. That seems pretty clear. What I don't know is whether there's any benefit between 6 months and 7 yrs beyond a convenient supplemental food source that is healthy when it comes from mothers eating a RPD, or whether there's any serious ill effects on the children during that period. So far from the sources you've provided me, there are no reported ill effects on the children after up to 2.9 years of breastfeeding by a HG mother. The only

As for forum-policy, I do think there's a fine line between good nutrition for a child and child-abuse.
Where's the evidence? Claims of child abuse without evidence seem like irresponsible hysteria. We ran into that years ago here in VT where the state moved in on a religious sect and took their children away, claiming their traditional practices were harmful and damaging to the children. When the psychiatrists and physicians examined the children they could find nothing wrong with them. The sect sued the state and won millions of dollars.

I mean, rawists already have in a few cases got into trouble in the family courts simply for feeding their children on raw diets, ....
I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. In the articles I read, the children were severely malnourished or even starving. One even died from starvation. If you have evidence of breastfeeding of HG children beyond 2 years resulting in malnutrition or starvation, then by all means present it. That would be very persuasive indeed.

I don't think we should make things worse by just being contrarian
Again, that's a straw man that I'm not advocating.

In this regard, it makes much better sense to follow the common-sense shown in the animal kingdom who are more natural in their way of life than hunter-gatherer tribes.

The practices of animals can be informative, but are not necessarily directly applicable to human beings. This is why ALL the evidence should be examined, not just animals or just HGs or just Stone Agers or just moderners--ALL of it. Ignoring evidence simply because it doesn't support our assumption would be unscientific. Surely you're not advocating ignoring the HG evidence or whatever Stone Ager evidence there might be.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:35:17 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:14 pm »
Once again you're discussing stuff I didn't mention. Straw men are much easier to handle than actual questions and points people raise, but nobody learns much this way. Of course "a healthy diet of solid foods" is superior to breastmilk "on a SAD diet." Where did I say otherwise?

You specifically suggested that extended breastfeeding for 7 years could make up for the disadvantages of being on an unhealthy SAD diet. I pointed out that many WAPF-style mothers disagreed with this and had suggested that breastmilk from a mother on a nutritionally deficient diet was largely worthless(except in the first few months where some hormones, enzymes, co-factors could be useful, but with extended breastfeeding being pointless re overall nutrition. Oh, there's one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post:- breastmilk is an excellent carrier for infection, in other words if the mother gets ill, the breastfeeding baby will very also get that health-problem - a very good reason to limit breastfeeding. Indeed one reason for the rise in HIV in Africa among children is due to breastfeeding. And then there's the issue of industrial contaminants in human breast-milk, re PCBs etc.
My question was regarding the child. I'm still waiting for evidence of harm to the child. If you don't have any beyond your opinions, then please just say so.
 You know as well as I do that there is very little information re the benefits or harm of such long-term extended breastfeeding since it is so very rarely practised in the modern world, so one can't cite official studies either way. Most people view extended breastfeeding with understandable contempt as it's a way the mother uses to infantilise the child and prevent it from growing up. Also, there is the obvious aspect of child-abuse:- I mean children tend to get sexual feelings well before puberty, so breastfeeding to 8 or 10, could clearly be seen to encourage incest.

I can understand your concern about protecting the forum from avoidable ridicule, but concerns expressed about fear of potential ridicule don't answer my questions or provide me with data or logic, which is what I'm generally after. Besides, do we really want to base our analysis on what the media thinks rather than the facts?
The simple fact is that it isn't the media that is the instigator of claims against extended breastfeeding, it's the public at large, who view it as a form of child-abuse, for obvious reasons. So, it would be foolish for us to arbitrarily adopt practices which the general public view as unhealthy without just cause.

Where's the evidence? Claims of child abuse without evidence seem like irresponsible hysteria. We ran into that years ago here in VT where the state moved in on a religious sect and took their children away, claiming their traditional practices were harmful and damaging to the children. When the psychiatrists and physicians examined the children they could find nothing wrong with them. The sect sued the state and won millions of dollars.

I presume you were referring to the Mormon Fundamentalists in Texas, I thought that some of them had been arrested. As for the issue of breastfeeding in the courts, like I said, it's very rare that a case has turned up given the unpopularity of breastfeeding, but children have been placed into foster-care as a result.
I'm not sure which ones you're referring to. In the articles I read, the children were severely malnourished or even starving. One even died from starvation. If you have evidence of breastfeeding of HG children beyond 2 years resulting in malnutrition or starvation, then by all means present it. That would be very persuasive indeed.

I was not referring to the raw vegan cases. I was specifically referring to some cases mentioned over the years by Primal-Diet-/rawpalaeo-eating mothers on other lists who mentioned how their fathers would bring up the matter of raw-feeding their children in the divorce-courts in order to get custody. I suspect they got away with it, partly because mothers are usually given preference in child custody-battles, but it doesn't help if we start recommending dodgy practices that aren't even really related to diet, as that just makes life unnecessarily more difficult for rawpalaeos.  Since a healthy rawpalaeodiet of solid foods is preferential for a child than extended breastfeeding and avoids inevitable accusations of child-abuse, so it is better to recommend the former than the latter.

The practices of animals can be informative, but are not necessarily directly applicable to human beings. This is why ALL the evidence should be examined, not just animals or just HGs or just Stone Agers or just moderners--ALL of it. Ignoring evidence simply because it doesn't support our assumption would be unscientific. Surely you're not advocating ignoring the HG evidence or whatever Stone Ager evidence there might be.
Like I said before, wild animals are a far better example.Unlike wild animals, HGs are not subject to natural selection so commonly practice unnatural behaviours such as self-mutilation(a commmon savage trait), plus HGs have adopted Neolithic practices in all cases, to some extent. The only time I would ever consider modern HG evidence to be usefuL(and then only as tenth-rate evidence) is when relevant data from the palaeolithic era is nonexistent by comparison.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:47:38 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk