Author Topic: mixing high meat with fermented plant foods?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
mixing high meat with fermented plant foods?
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:15:28 am »
Does mixing sauerkraut and high meat reduce eithers effectiveness? I have no clue and was thinking about it as I really enjoy my fermented foods but can't always separate them by a few hours.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: mixing high meat with fermented plant foods?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:47:35 am »
Sounds gross lol
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 02:36:21 am »
Do you mean (1) mixing in the same meal, (2) mixing in the same recipe, or (3) fermenting together?

I ferment animal and plant products together or separately. It works both ways. I don't think it is harmful to eat high meat within two hours of fermented plant foods.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:24:31 am »
I don't have any issues from this, but I am pretty careful with raw sauerkraut as it seems to be to acidic for my teeth.  I have 'krauted fish with old sauerkraut juice.  I have friends who (were kicked off this message board for being "trolls") fermented beef hearts with lactic acid from whey and said is was amazingly delicious and vibrant food.

don't worry so much, just do and feel and then trust those feelings
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:45:10 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:48:13 am »
haha ewww! no no. I mean, say I eat a bowl of sauerkraut as an appetizer, THEN eat high meat. I'm curious if the acid or bacteria from the sauerkraut affects anything in the high meat.

Its an odd question but partially refers to how it may affect me concerning potential digestion issues, lack of benefits gained from either, anything else.

Not fermenting together, yuck! Sorry for confusion.

Eve got it pretty much. The two hour answer seems reasonable. But I'm curious about within a 5-10 min, so they are both in the stomach at the same time.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 03:57:50 am »
  I have friends who (were kicked off this message board for being "trolls")

Ah? Why? When? What was their pseudo?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:29 am »
Ah? Why? When? What was their pseudo?

Hey Iguana, thank you for asking.

I think Wodgina was not very empathetic to the fact that these are young males, two twin brothers, who had real questions about masturbation, raw foods, etc.  I think Wodg was sensitive and thought they were teasing or making fun..."trolling" in his book.   

I am pretty sure their old super name was "dopedivinity".  It was a while ago, honestly I think if they hadn't been kicked off here and left to question, experiment and explore they would be in a totally different place right now, obviously that didn't happen, but such is life.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
DopeDivinity ban
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 04:56:40 am »
I had a look at "DopeDivinity" posts and I don't see the reason why he (they) was (were) banned. Can someone enlighten me?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:40:06 am »
haha ewww! no no. I mean, say I eat a bowl of sauerkraut as an appetizer, THEN eat high meat. I'm curious if the acid or bacteria from the sauerkraut affects anything in the high meat.
The two hour answer seems reasonable. But I'm curious about within a 5-10 min, so they are both in the stomach at the same time.

There is quite an array of bacteria in fermented foods, not to mention the bazillion of bacteria that live in our bodies, so there is no way to really separate them. Consider also that many bacteria succumb to stomach acid. Perhaps the best answer to your question is found in your own experience. Do you get any discomfort from eating a sauerkraut appetizer with a high meat chaser?

By the way, I drink homemade sauerkraut juice. I don't really eat the kraut, but I love the flavor of ferment. I make mine with cabbage, ginger, and Korean pepper flakes, with optional other things like apple, carrot, garlic, onion, leek, or radishes. I use a lower amount of salt, enough to make the ferment good, but not enough for long-term kraut.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:54:27 am »
There is quite an array of bacteria in fermented foods, not to mention the bazillion of bacteria that live in our bodies, so there is no way to really separate them. Consider also that many bacteria succumb to stomach acid. Perhaps the best answer to your question is found in your own experience. Do you get any discomfort from eating a sauerkraut appetizer with a high meat chaser?

way, I drink homemade sauerkraut juice. I don't really eat the kraut, but I love the flavor of ferment. I make mine with cabbage, ginger, and Korean pepper flakes, with optional other things like apple, carrot, garlic, onion, leek, or radishes. I use a lower amount of salt, enough to make the ferment good, but not enough for long-term kraut.

come to think of it, it might actually be one brand that just makes my teeth hurt.  at the local farmers market you can buy kraut and kimchi and all types of awesome ferments with great herbs and roots from Whistling Duck Farms, they also sell shots of the brine a dollar a piece! its really amazing, the only type of shot ill ever take again :)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:53:18 am »
come to think of it, it might actually be one brand that just makes my teeth hurt.  at the local farmers market you can buy kraut and kimchi and all types of awesome ferments with great herbs and roots from Whistling Duck Farms, they also sell shots of the brine a dollar a piece! its really amazing, the only type of shot ill ever take again :)

My farmers' market has a fermenter who sells shots of sauerkraut juice for a dollar and pints for five bucks. I can make a gallon for about $3. For me, kimchi juice is too spicy and sauerkraut is not spicy enough, so I make mine custom.

Offline NuclearKnight

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 01:01:42 pm »
If the carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins have been broken down by bacterial enzymes into simple sugars, fatty acids, and amino acids, I'd think they'd be readily absorbed with no digestive work, dismissing the need for food combining principles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk