Author Topic: Suet smells yeasty?  (Read 4767 times)

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Suet smells yeasty?
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:29:37 am »
I have a candida problem, and am worried about this.

I bought 3 3lb vaccum sealed bags of suet a few weeks and they have been sitting in my fridge.

The last bag I opened today and the fat smells slightly sour and slightly yeasty. Not in a bad way, and it still tastes fine, but I'm worried that this suet contains candida.

Is it just aged a little? Should I worry? Is it just bacterial growth and not candida?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Suet smells yeasty?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:33:58 am »
I have personally not experienced any Candida symptoms as a result of suet (or marrow for that matter). I haven't let it sit in the fridge for 3 weeks but I'd wager it's just part of the funky smell. FWIW saturated fat is supposed to be quite good for fighting Candida and other yeasts so it's unlikely to be a problem. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:37:07 am »
I don't leave my suet in plastic (especially loose plastic, but not even vacuum-packed plastic) in the fridge for more than a day, otherwise within a few days it gets damp and mildewed. I try to open it and air dry it or freeze it as soon after buying it as I can.

As for Candida albicans yeasts, they feed on carbs rather than fats, AFAIK, so I doubt they're on your suet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:06:02 pm »
I don't leave my suet in plastic (especially loose plastic, but not even vacuum-packed plastic) in the fridge for more than a day, otherwise within a few days it gets damp and mildewed. I try to open it and air dry it or freeze it as soon after buying it as I can.

As for Candida albicans yeasts, they feed on carbs rather than fats, AFAIK, so I doubt they're on your suet.

Well, I wanted to freeze to preserve it, but I'm concerned freezing will damage the lipase and nutrients inside the fat.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:55 am »
No matter how you store it there will be some small amount of degredation. I'm not concerned about it myself, but if you are you could buy small quantities at a time, if you have a local source, so you don't have to store it long.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:27 am »
No matter how you store it there will be some small amount of degredation. I'm not concerned about it myself, but if you are you could buy small quantities at a time, if you have a local source, so you don't have to store it long.

That's the problem. No local source.

I'm attempting to order some bison backfat from another company to see if I like it better, but they are slow in responding to e-mails so I'm afraid I'm going to run out of raw fat. Kind of annoying. I may order a small amount of suet because they respond much faster, and see if I can get the backfat in in the mean time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk