Author Topic: The social side of you?  (Read 32143 times)

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: The social side of you?
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
Every guy I date respects that I am pure ZC, and there are no "vacations, holidays, special events" for excuses. Most find it hot.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 11:28:15 am »
That's pretty funny about the whale thing.  I liked that.  Yea, if you're comparing them to us.  But comparing them to other creatures of the sea, I would have to say they are the most intelligent for their environment.  And who eats whales?  Humans, that's why we run the damn planet.  The top predators are the smartest of all animals in an ecosystem.  They have to be. 

You're saying intelligence sprang out only from warm climates?  I failed to find the correlation between the two.  I was trying to explain that in order to be smarter you had to be more carnivorous.  By eating more meat we got smarter.  We didn't go chasing a banana tree all the way to the north pole, we chased herds of animals.  Why do you think we get along better with dogs and not gerbils. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 11:57:25 am »
Every guy I date respects that I am pure ZC, and there are no "vacations, holidays, special events" for excuses. Most find it hot.

That's great that ZC is working so well for your social life.

I don't want to lose the perspective of the thread though which was not about sharing a (cooked) steak dinner with a date, but about sharing an intimate lifestyle, possibly raising children, with a hypothetical and future Mr. Right who most likely will not be raw paleo.

Maybe it is just my culture coming out, we are Greek and Italian... eating together as a family and the kinds of food we prepare together as a family are (sounds weird?) a big part of 'family'.  So, I like to hear experiences of people here that are either already married, have significant others, or maybe dating as I am on how their lifestyles come together, not just to accept each other, but raising children too.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:48 pm »
... I don't want to lose the perspective of the thread though which was not about sharing a (cooked) steak dinner with a date, but about sharing an intimate lifestyle, possibly raising children, with a hypothetical and future Mr. Right who most likely will not be raw paleo.

Maybe it is just my culture coming out, we are Greek and Italian... eating together as a family and the kinds of food we prepare together as a family are (sounds weird?) a big part of 'family'.  So, I like to hear experiences of people here that are either already married, have significant others, or maybe dating as I am on how their lifestyles come together, not just to accept each other, but raising children too.

I'm a householder here.  My husband and I love each other no matter what we eat.  We go out dancing sometimes with friends or to a party.  People think we're a great couple.  I would love to hang out with paleo people though or primal dieters.  I don't know that we'll ever get to a point that we'll eat with friends who eat like us.  Eating is a social thing.  I'd advise, if possible to marry someone who eats similarly, do so.

Beds too, I had a weak back since before adolescence.  I had to either sleep on an excellent bed or preferably the floor to deal with it or go to sleep early and do yoga before getting out of bed in the morning.  Now I either have to coordinate with my husband or compromise etc.  

You know it's even hard for me to think about preparing a meal when everyone eats different.  I always prepared healthy food, and people enjoyed what I prepared without everyone going their own way.  I ran health food kitchens, and some of them I served different to each person, but along one theme.  It is weird to me to do the present kind of diverse themes all at once.

Hey, but I found a restaurant now that serves vegan, vegetarian, raw vegan (seed cheeses etc) and free range meat all at once.  We ate there a few times already.  Unfortunately I could only order offerings like the vegiekraut rolls.  They won't serve their free range raw.  I'll tell you if I can get them to change or if I apply for a job there or anything.  Already people see me with things like young coconut water in the shell and ask so I teach them something new to them.  Maybe I can get them to do sashimi.  They do have seafood and I haven't directly asked about that, just meat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:07:24 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »

You're saying intelligence sprang out only from warm climates?  I failed to find the correlation between the two.  I was trying to explain that in order to be smarter you had to be more carnivorous.  By eating more meat we got smarter.  We didn't go chasing a banana tree all the way to the north pole, we chased herds of animals.  Why do you think we get along better with dogs and not gerbils. 

No.   I was actually pointing that out in response to TylerDurden's talking about high intelligence being correlated with cold climates.

The fact is, everything evolves in the tropics, pretty much. A few species venture out toward colder areas, but most genetic mutations occur in warmer areas.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 01:27:01 pm »
I don't think it just only happens in warm environment.  Everything evolves based on inputs and outputs of the whole ecosystem.  Regardless of hot and cold, dry or wet, postition of the moon, etc..  Evolution happens because of the changing environment.  If anything the ice ages most likely created the last shift in homo. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
...  If anything the ice ages most likely created the last shift in homo. 

... A few species venture out toward colder areas, but most genetic mutations occur in warmer areas.

I tend to agree with CK here, not Fulcrum.  Yes if we eat cooked meat to warm us up in Winter and that may change us, but kill off our lines too if we don't have houses and cars while we're raising our babies practicing that diet.  Do you have children who are RPDers too redfulcrum?

...  Why do you think we get along better with dogs and not gerbils. 

You mean because dogs are more social or help us hunt and herd?  I don't know what gerbils eat in nature, but in nature hamsters hunt insects.  No wonder many people with hamsters on Hartz Hamster Food, the hamsters bite each other, bite people, and the hamsters eat their own babies.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2010, 06:46:22 pm »
I don't see much evidence for a cold climate/intelligence theory.  Humans evolved in the hottest of climates.  Not only that, you would would expect Northern Europeans to be noticeably more intelligent than Southern Chinese, or people from India, and that is manifestly wrong.  

That's not correct. From what I understand re the cold-climate/intelligence theory, Asians(as in Orientals/East Asians/Chinese) are actually  more cold-adapted than Europeans(having smaller bodies etc.). Also, specific genes for intelligence could easily spread around the whole world, even if they originated at first in Arctic/subArctic areas.The idea is that the Ice Age speeded up human evolution, with even hotter areas being cooler than usual, so mostly evolving in hotter climates(that is, assuming that the Out of Africa model is superior to the Multiregional Hypothesis) doesn't preclude the above theory as such.
The larger skulls of Eskimoes does seem to lend credence to both the cold-climate/intelligence theory and the meat-consumption theory, though, of course, you are quite right, larger skulls/brain-size does not necessarily imply a higher intelligence as someone with a smaller brain could have lower brainweight overall, in areas such as the reptilian brain portion etc., while having more neurons in the prefrontal cortex, thus having a higher intelligence in actual fact.

Anyway, it's just 1 theory among many, there's also the notion that tool-use instead speeded up brain-development instead of meat-consumption or the cold-climate theory. What I'm more interested in is whether sentient intelligence on the human level was inevitable(and therefore implying that the  Fermi Paradox is wrong) or just a lucky accident.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 09:43:11 pm »
I don't see how you can be with somebody who isn't on the same diet as you are.  Its kind of like, if i go out and eat a bunch of bullshit food and come home and i feel crap or im all hopped up on sugar, my wife doesnt want to have to deal with that crap, especially when ive gone and done it to myself.  How is she able to sit down and have a regular decent conversation with somebody who isnt thinking clearly?

People say that we talk about food a lot, i look and go 'yes, yes we do', but you guys dont talk about food but are ALWAYS EATING.  I think its because they dont talk about food other than 'oh yeah, i saw this product that has put cheese and wheat together in a new fantastic combination! you HAVE to try out this awesome artificial flavor!!'.  Where we are more aware of our food and ask 'how did this make me feel, yes its tasty but i enjoy my health more than food in face'.

I have found going raw carnivore has changed my perspective a lot.  When i look at it i am A LOT less afraid of everything than i used to be, so when i talk to people now i find they talk about boring crap like television shows, small talk, how food tastes, their crappy health problems.  When i go to speak to people now and try have a productive conversation with them eyes roll, its like they dont have the focus to sit and discuss, and they take it as a personal insult to them when they say something like 'yeah, so im constipated', and ill tell them its from eating cheese and wheat for every meal.... and then they go and order pizza for lunch...  l)

Edit: And my wife thinks that any guy who doesn't eat raw meat is a pussy :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:33:50 am by Neone »
That's not paleo.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »
I don't see how you can be with somebody who isn't on the same diet as you are.
I dosn't have to be exactly the same diet - the similar one would be enough.
I know some guy, who is on rawpaleodiet (with high-meats), and is married to woman who is on LC with some raw elements. And everything is OK.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 02:00:07 am »
I dosn't have to be exactly the same diet - the similar one would be enough.
I know some guy, who is on rawpaleodiet (with high-meats), and is married to woman who is on LC with some raw elements. And everything is OK.
  One of the commonest phrases is ":- Don't marry for money, but go where the money is". Same thing as regards diet/health:- It would be a bad idea to judge one's partner primarily  on the basis of what diet they ate/how close it was to your diet etc., but it's a good idea to mix mainly with people who are at least somewhat health-oriented. That way, you're much more likely to find someone who doesn't mind your diet, even if their diet is still not the same as yours.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2010, 07:13:25 am »
I don't see how you can be with somebody who isn't on the same diet as you are.  Its kind of like, if i go out and eat a bunch of bullshit food and come home and i feel crap or im all hopped up on sugar, my wife doesnt want to have to deal with that crap, especially when ive gone and done it to myself.  How is she able to sit down and have a regular decent conversation with somebody who isnt thinking clearly?
My entire relationship with my wife has always been that way. First it was because my food allergies limited what I could have and now it's a conscious choice to be healthier by eating RAF.
It takes two things to be successful. First, the person on the altered diet needs to have strong willpower so they don't "cheat". Some can do this, others can't. Most of us here on the forum seem capable to sticking our course. Second, you need an understanding partner. Some people just have more patience and you really need a saint of a spouse sometimes depending on what you've been eating. Thankfully RAF has a truly grounding effect, IMO, so I've become the more stable one in the relationship. ;D

Edit: For the records my wife's always eaten SAD and has only begun modifying her diet in the last 4 1/2 years we've been together as I've shown her what foods do not do well with her body. She's eating mostly grain-free and fairly LC now but she still cheats here or there. She's also hopelessly addicted to dairy even as we both see how her body doesn't like it but it's her body and her choice as to when she'll change.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:00 am »
That's not correct. From what I understand re the cold-climate/intelligence theory, Asians(as in Orientals/East Asians/Chinese) are actually  more cold-adapted than Europeans(having smaller bodies etc.). Also, specific genes for intelligence could easily spread around the whole world, even if they originated at first in Arctic/subArctic areas.The idea is that the Ice Age speeded up human evolution, with even hotter areas being cooler than usual, so mostly evolving in hotter climates(that is, assuming that the Out of Africa model is superior to the Multiregional Hypothesis) doesn't preclude the above theory as such.
The larger skulls of Eskimoes does seem to lend credence to both the cold-climate/intelligence theory and the meat-consumption theory, though, of course, you are quite right, larger skulls/brain-size does not necessarily imply a higher intelligence as someone with a smaller brain could have lower brainweight overall, in areas such as the reptilian brain portion etc., while having more neurons in the prefrontal cortex, thus having a higher intelligence in actual fact.

Anyway, it's just 1 theory among many, there's also the notion that tool-use instead speeded up brain-development instead of meat-consumption or the cold-climate theory. What I'm more interested in is whether sentient intelligence on the human level was inevitable(and therefore implying that the  Fermi Paradox is wrong) or just a lucky accident.

Like I've mentioned before, Asians get taller when they come to the US and eat the SAD diet.  A LOT taller.

How could sentience be accidental?  Bigger brains have been evolving for hundreds of millions of years.  It was the natural result of evolving bigger brains, I'd say. :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2010, 01:15:50 pm »
Socially, we raw paleo dieters are the minority... even smaller in numbers than the cooked paleos, or the raw vegans.  So the attitude adjustment needs to come from us.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:23 pm »
Like I've mentioned before, Asians get taller when they come to the US and eat the SAD diet.  A LOT taller.

And, as I pointed out myself, Asians coming to the US have only risen in height by a rather small amount vis-a-vis their counterparts in Asia. They , along with Hispanics are still the shortest of all ethnic groups in the US, even after generations of being there as a community. A brilliant example of what I mean are the Inuit who, until recently,  fed on a diet much closer to our own, consisting of a lot of raw meat/fish, and who have always been short and stocky, despite this diet which is much healthier than the American SAD diet by far.

How could sentience be accidental?  Bigger brains have been evolving for hundreds of millions of years.  It was the natural result of evolving bigger brains, I'd say. :)
Not necessarily. After all, no other species comes close to us  in terms of sentience. Even chimpanzees aren't terribly remarkable for their intelligence.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2010, 09:26:09 pm »
When im eating raw outside say, for work lunch i eat my food in front of everybody.. heres how you do it.

I have a big glass bowl/container thing, i chunk all my meat and fat and organs, just whatever i want to eat for lunch is cubed up into bite sized pieces, then ill add a little spice, like some curry and garlic or something. I add all that in and mix it up and when i head off to work i throw my container up on the dash board and let the sun warm it up all day while im working or whatever. When i get hungry for some lunch i just go and grab my container and chopsticks, find a spot and sit down.  Your lunch will be nice and warmed up and its given your flavors all day to meld together. When you take the lid off of your food everyones going to have their noses in the air sniffing 'Oh man, what smells so good?'.  I get comments all the time about how great my food smells, but they always jump 5 feet backwards when I offer them a bite :P
That's not paleo.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:27 am »
And, as I pointed out myself, Asians coming to the US have only risen in height by a rather small amount vis-a-vis their counterparts in Asia. They , along with Hispanics are still the shortest of all ethnic groups in the US, even after generations of being there as a community. A brilliant example of what I mean are the Inuit who, until recently,  fed on a diet much closer to our own, consisting of a lot of raw meat/fish, and who have always been short and stocky, despite this diet which is much healthier than the American SAD diet by far.
Yes, and I think the tallness of certain Americans can be accounted for by abnormal growth brought on by gluten and dairy interfering with the body's natural mechanisms for shutting off growth (this also contributes to cancer). Individuals who are far taller and lankier than avg, such as many people with Marfan syndrome, are rare in nature. In nature, wild species tend to have relatively small variations in form, as compared to modern humans, who have extreme variations. Differences in appearance become more extreme when toxic elements are introduced that result in genetic and epigenetic deformities.

Not necessarily. After all, no other species comes close to us  in terms of sentience. Even chimpanzees aren't terribly remarkable for their intelligence.
Yes, but there is SOME correlation between larger brain/body ratio and increased intelligence. This is not in dispute in the scientific community in any case other than possibly among humans (though I think even the scientists who downplay the importance of brain size tend to admit it is at least a factor).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:30 pm »
Yes, and I think the tallness of certain Americans can be accounted for by abnormal growth brought on by gluten and dairy interfering with the body's natural mechanisms for shutting off growth (this also contributes to cancer). Individuals who are far taller and lankier than avg, such as many people with Marfan syndrome, are rare in nature. In nature, wild species tend to have relatively small variations in form, as compared to modern humans, who have extreme variations. Differences in appearance become more extreme when toxic elements are introduced that result in genetic and epigenetic deformities.

Ah yes, I've heard that claim re the increase in modern height being linked to unhealthy diets. However, I would strongly disagree with that theory. For one thing, it was noted that the British upper-classes in the Middle-Ages were remarkably taller than their peasant-counterparts(nobles ate better, getting organ-meats, higher meat-intake etc.) Indeed Richard The Lionheart was caught in Austria because he couldn't blend in his 6ft figure among a populace normally 5ft tall. And shortened height at the time was directly related to various health-problems, no doubt caused by high grain-intake etc.

In my own case, I'm descended from tall ancestors, yet I am 3 inches shorter than my brother(males in my family usually are around 6ft 3). I strongly suspect that all those yars of dairy-cosnumption wrecked my glandular system in such a way that growth-hormone production was disabled to some extent.
Yes, but there is SOME correlation between larger brain/body ratio and increased intelligence. This is not in dispute in the scientific community in any case other than possibly among humans (though I think even the scientists who downplay the importance of brain size tend to admit it is at least a factor).
There may be some correlation between brain-size/body ratio and increased intelligence(though there are, apparently, exceptions to the rul, see wikipedia entry) but the difference between chimpanzees and humans is so vast in cultural terms that other explanations are more likely(eg:- increased concentrations of neurons in specific areas rather than brain-size as such etc.)
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »
All wild species have a natural mutational rate which implies birth-defects appearing as a routine here and there. I agree that a good diet would reduce the number of defects, trouble is, despite seaching, there is no reliable scientific data establishing the average rate of birth-defects in wild species(unsurprising as it would be extremely difficult to monitor such(defective cubs would be swiftly eliminated due to natural selection, dying in the womb etc.)

All I know is that (non-inbred) humans have a birth-defect range of 4%(for modern developed world, of course). Of course, that involves only genetic illnesses, heavy predisposition to diabetes type 1 etc., would not be part of those figures.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 07:47:23 pm »
Ah yes, I've heard that claim re the increase in modern height being linked to unhealthy diets. However, I would strongly disagree with that theory. For one thing, it was noted that the British upper-classes in the Middle-Ages were remarkably taller than their peasant-counterparts(nobles ate better, getting organ-meats, higher meat-intake etc.) Indeed Richard The Lionheart was caught in Austria because he couldn't blend in his 6ft figure among a populace normally 5ft tall. And shortened height at the time was directly related to various health-problems, no doubt caused by high grain-intake etc.

In my own case, I'm descended from tall ancestors, yet I am 3 inches shorter than my brother(males in my family usually are around 6ft 3). I strongly suspect that all those yars of dairy-cosnumption wrecked my glandular system in such a way that growth-hormone production was disabled to some extent. There may be some correlation between brain-size/body ratio and increased intelligence(though there are, apparently, exceptions to the rul, see wikipedia entry) but the difference between chimpanzees and humans is so vast in cultural terms that other explanations are more likely(eg:- increased concentrations of neurons in specific areas rather than brain-size as such etc.)

Interesting.  A sibling, taller than me, tested allergic to cow milk.  I tested nonallergic to it.  I didn't like dairy very much and avoided it most of the time.  I don't think any of the dairy was available raw growing up for us.  I remember my sibling eating lots of melted cheese as often as possible, while me barely ever.  I just didn't have the same interest.  The dairy I did like was heavy cream and fermented heavy cream or high fat raw blue cheese (not melted).  Maybe the unnatural form dairy minerals made excess growth, or just lacked molybdenum.  I think I remember reading that molybdenum as a nutrient prevents excessive unhealthy length of the bones.

alcohol and excess copper deplete molybdenum in the body

Maybe a high carb diet turns to alcohol and depletes the molybdenum.

Of course I could be shorter than I should be due to not digesting enough as a child.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2010, 07:43:39 am »
Ah yes, I've heard that claim re the increase in modern height being linked to unhealthy diets.
You've misunderstood me. I tried to be clear that I was referring to extreme variations within a population, rather than increases in avg height of an overall population.

I wasn't referring to all moderners, just "certain" of the more "extreme" cases. I agree that nutrient rich diets raise the overall avg height of the population, and that variations of nutrition level within populations can increase height variations within populations (for example, the restriction of hunting to the monarchy and nobility and the tendency of peasants to eat lots of grains--such as in King Richard the Lionheart's time--good example--so famously described in the story "Robin Hood"), but some extreme height variations, such as among some with Marfan (aka Marfan's) syndrome and your milk-shortening example, can theoretically be connected to deleterious effects from grains, dairy and other modern foods. Also, the same modern food can have opposite effects on different people (shortening vs. making taller, hypothyroidism vs. hyperthyroidism, etc.), which is one reason why today's physicians and scientists tend to discount diet as a factor in disease. The effects are complex and often not intuitive. The consistent aspect is that the changes tend to be more deleterious and extreme than those found in wild nature.

BTW, I know you don't buy the diet connection to Marfan and other genetic illnesses, so let's not rehash that one again. I also didn't use the term "unhealthy diets," as it's theoretically possible to eat a mostly healthy diet, yet still have a mother or her unborn child react negatively to one modern food she's consuming, or eat all-raw-Paleo foods yet be nutritionally deficient because of insufficient quantity or poor balance of foods, and it's also possible to have increases in avg overall population height even though the population is still eating a sub-optimal diet (as in the case of Americans on the SAD). I was referring to some of the extremes that modern foods might theoretically contribute to, again, as in the milk-shortening example you gave.

In my own case, I'm descended from tall ancestors, yet I am 3 inches shorter than my brother(males in my family usually are around 6ft 3). I strongly suspect that all those yars of dairy-cosnumption wrecked my glandular system in such a way that growth-hormone production was disabled to some extent. ....
Right, so you acknowledge that eating a modern food can contribute to shorter height, I would just add unusually increased height to that (as in Marfan, not as in general avg height increase). I was talking about extremes in either direction, shorter or taller, not just taller, so we agree on at least half of it. If the Marfan example bugs you, use your shortening-through-milk-consumption example.

As usual, I think our basic views are much closer than you realize, but certain details are causing difficulties for you. If something I've written seems way off, I think we would both be better served if you asked me for clarification rather than you try to read between my lines, as that seems to be where you're often missing my points.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:09:34 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 03:24:58 pm »
Studies have shown that children of vegetarian/vegan parents tend to have lower intelligence and so do the grandchildren, even if their parents weren't vegan.  I think it was far more pronounced if the mother was vegan as opposed to the father.  Something to keep in mind when searching for the opposite chromosome; tho probably most here would already shy away from a vegan partner.

I've tried to get my gf to go raw paleo.  She's made some good changes like cutting down on the processed foods and cooking her steaks more rare, but she still doesn't take time to make lunch for work, instead eats whatever is available (processed foods).  After 2 years, that seems to be as far as she'll go. 

If I ever planned on having kids, I've decided that it has to be with someone who's been RP for at least a year prior to conception.  If I can't find her, then it's not worth it to have children.  Seems kind of selfish, having learned how important RPD is for proper health and development and then choose to have a child with a SADer just b/c I want kids.  I say better to hold out and hope to come across another RPDer.  Of course, being a guy I have a little more time for holding out than a girl.   

I'd like to be a father some day, even more so b/c of RPD, but every time I think about it, it's hard to see myself saying okay, I'm ready to spend the next 20-25 years devoting my life to this.  Guess I just gotta wait and see.  It'd probably be easier if I was with another RPDer.     
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 04:01:45 pm »
I'm with you guitar man. I would never have kids with a vegan or vegetarian.

It doesn't seem fair to bring a kid into the world when you know their not going to get the best possible shot at life. I wish I was one of those people that just plain didn't want kids it would be so much easier.

I still think a woman with excellent genes on a OK diet is still better than a woman with average genes on a RPD diet.

PS Someone mentioned that face structure/palate can get better over generations with better diet. This is definitely true I see it in my own family. My parents are short with crowded teeth while myself and my brother tower over them/with broad shoulders and my brother has a killer Weston Price smile.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:52:41 pm by wodgina »
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 04:50:16 pm »
Finding a woman on RPD to be a potential mother is pretty steep.  It would be easier to find a woman on cooked meat paleo diet.  The raw part can be negotiated later on.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2010, 05:36:13 pm »
I figure that since this is sort of a "How do I explain this to my loved one" type deal, I have some questions and a story.

I found out about this a day or two ago and won't be able to truly start until I can control my own meals (I'm at college and in a dorm; the college makes you buy a meal plan and it would be a very large waste of a lot of money to ignore my meal plans and buy my own food, so sadly, until I live on my own, I cannot go raw). I told my best friend (a woman), who, once I explained it to, thought it was fine. She said she even believed in it, but said that she could never give up all the foods she loved. She and I are epicureans, really, but unlike her, I've always gravitated towards raw meats. (The only way I have ever enjoyed fish was sashimi, I've bought containers of blood at Asian markets, but was too scared of germs, tried to boil it, and burned it, loved rare and blue-rare steaks, and usually eat all my fruits raw. My dad would ban me from fast foods and sodas.) I then told my step-sister, who thought I was bloody insane and an utter idiot, wondering how was I ever to pay for this highly expensive food. My father probably thought it was a little weird, but when I explained, he understood. Like me, if there's a plausible logical (or scientific) reason for something, then its fine. However, my boyfriend was, initially, at least over AIM, fine with it.

Then when we were driving to a restaurant tonight, we had a big fight over it. He thinks I'm going to kill myself through parasites or bacteria. When I explain to him my cat example (that cats shouldn't eat the commercial grain food we give them, and when they do, they're unhealthy and sick), he told me that we're not like cats. We're people. (I would assume that he'd understand the cat example more, as he was with me and saw when our oldest cat was dying, all due to her diet. He watched us when she wouldn't eat dry food and only meats, then became healthy again.) I tried to explain to him that bacteria and parasites can be good for you, and that it doesn't seem as though people get all that sick from raw meat. He's disappointed that he wouldn't be able to cook for me; he likes grilling and working with meats, but I told him that so long as he didn't cook it for long, I would be able to. He's worried about having to make sure that restaurants would be able to feed me--whether or not that they had steak tartar, carpaccio, or sashimi. That we'd no longer be able to eat out anymore together. (Even though I tried to explain to him that I could order rare steaks.) Or that he'd feel bad for me having a special diet--I'm not even sure if I understand that. It's my diet, I can watch out for myself. (Although he probably wants to provide and watch out for me, not vice versa.) Also, he's absolutely disgusted by eating raw meat, which I wish he wasn't purely because he eats absolutely disgustingly processed foods; he lived off of hot pockets for years, even standard-wise, he didn't have a healthy diet (whether or not all his issues are diet related, I don't know), and it shows. The least of which is unable to use the bathroom for days--I took him to the ER once for a distended abdomen, for that reason, it'd been 3 days. He left in the middle of the wait. He was fine, but I've seen what that can do to your bowels.

He said that just thinking about me eating raw meat makes him feel sick. He says he'd vomit if he saw me eat raw meat. (When I asked him about raw fish, he says that idea makes him sick as well--that also goes for him vomiting if I ate it in front of him.) He can't understand why I like steak even remotely more rare than well-done. He's decided that I could just eat rare steaks. He doesn't know that I'd stop eating other things as well, like bread. When I elusively mentioned that while we were in a store (I was looking for carpaccio to test him--what would he do if he DIDN'T know he was watching me eat raw meat? Or if -he- ate it as well), he said he'd force feed me bread, as that's the main part of the food pyramid--11 servings per day.

He doesn't seem to like health nuts, either. When his last girlfriend started getting pickier, he left her. He can't seem to stand people with food issues. He hates my step-mother because she's a health nut (what she thinks on this, I don't know, probably thinks its stupid, like my step-sister--we quarrel a lot on what food is healthy, despite us both being interested in the subject). When I told him about the (what I thought was cute) acronym, SAD, he got pissed off. Thought that it was elitist. That "Americans must be sad because they're eating disgusting SAD food." When I told my father and aunt, whom I tend to look for the most guidance, they thought it was cute and amusing as well. To quote my dad, "It IS sad!" I still don't understand why he hates the SAD acronym. He was absolutely fine with SMD.

I think overall, he doesn't feel as though he'll be providing for me--that whole manly thing. He wouldn't be able to cook them for me, so then its like... I don't need his help. He also seems to feel its anti-human, too barbaric. He can never stand to hear me say things like "Humans are animals!" He says he'd definitely deny me my right to be fed to animals when I die (which you are allowed to do in the USA, supposedly, however I don't know who does it) and instead give me either a normal burial or cremate me. (Whether or not its weird to talk about burials when you're 21, I pretty much talk about a lot of ideas, usually with my father, which I then tend to rely to my boyfriend, which a mixture of results.)

I just don't know how to bring him to understand my decision. He may, somewhere in his brain, logically understand what I mean--that humans were raw eaters and that our systems are still better off with raw food, but when dealt personally, with me, he has an issue with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk