Author Topic: Farm raised oysters, are they safe?  (Read 16197 times)

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Farm raised oysters, are they safe?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »
They told me they had just arrived that day. The outside of the shells was a greenish black, instead of the more usual brownish white. I asked about the color, but the guy didn't know.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Farm raised oysters, are they safe?
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 12:19:20 am »
Supermarkets work off a distribution system that may include warehousing at a distribution center owned by the supermarket itself or an independent distributor, so you really don't know the harvest date. Ask to see the "label" which indicates the harvest date and location, if that is available. I know that this information is available in California, but your local laws may differ.

Also, the outside of the oyster tells you nothing, as the shell color is determined by the variety, not the condition of the inner oyster. When oysters are well past harvest date, the gills get all dried out and shriveled - not the freshest, although safe to eat.

I have to tell you a story about the people behind the counter at the market. I was at the meat counter last week and overheard a customer ask the butcher, "What's the difference between grassfed beef and regular beef?" The butcher replied, "All beef is grassfed." I butted in and asked what he meant by that, and he explained that there is really no difference except in the last few months before slaughter. My point is, he wasn't lying, but he had no idea what he was talking about from a consumer's point of view, so learn to read between the lines when a supermarket employee gives you an answer, and find out from your own experience who knows the true answers. Some workers might as well be selling men's suits for all they know about food. When you find a good supplier, let that person know how much you appreciate them.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk