Author Topic: Winter running  (Read 35076 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Winter running
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »
    I love your boots.  I'm looking for ideas.  My and the partner went to see if I could find some closed MBTs.... 
    I think it's (long past) time I get sheepskin shoes like yours.  Maybe I can get them in the morning.

...Maybe I should make my own shoes.  I would love to brain tan leather, and I have sources for brains now.  I'm not sure how to make running shoes though.  I wonder how many here make their own shoes.

Thanks! They are my fave I hope they last forever but thats wishful thinking.  l)
I got them at an "orthopedic" store, and they ended up being very comfy, the sole is flexible and folds up easily, you should for sure get the sheepskin ones its so cozy to wear especially on bare feet! But when its real cold you'll still need warm socks with them.

I have MBT sandals to and they are fun for the summer, I love walking really fast in them! And its the few sandals without heel strap that I can sprint in for short time. Actually they are the only "between the toe" sandals I can wear comfortably.

Yeah I'd make my own shoes with leather and animal fur, but I know I'll never get around it, well not in the next 5 years at least   l)

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:26 pm »
And even in that, running up a hill is harder than biking up a hill as far as cardio. I only feel a burn in my legs. I just got done biking from the store. Really cold outside. No problem. Breathing is more controlled and less oxygen needed.
You ever mountain bike up a slippery and steep hill? Seems to take a lot more effort than running up a hill in my opinion.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »
Whao what happened to the posts!

More effort. Yes in your leg muscle, not your cardio though.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »
Why did my post get erased and replaced with your post...I didn't write this.

Yuli, I'm just made of steal for real. My bike is really funked up, old and rusty racing bike. High gear, unchangable. I ride to the store without sitting down for fun and it's up hill. It's def. below freezing outside. No problemo.

My point is, with my bike, it takes a lot to get a cardio workout. My legs just feel like tree trunks after that's all.
When I jog, my legs feel fine, but cardio gets hit much quicker. I start to demand more oxygen at a faster rate.

Its not all "flat" around hear. But there's def no mountains around my hood. On the G.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »
Why did my post get erased and replaced with your post...I didn't write this.

Yeah, I thought I clicked reply. Must have accidenty clicked modify. Sorry about that. I was pretty confused too.

Here we go...
Yuli, I'm just made of steal for real. My bike is really funked up, old and rusty racing bike. High gear, unchangable. I ride to the store without sitting down for fun and it's up hill. It's def. below freezing outside. No problemo.

My point is, with my bike, it takes a lot to get a cardio workout. My legs just feel like tree trunks after that's all.
When I jog, my legs feel fine, but cardio gets hit much quicker. I start to demand more oxygen at a faster rate.

Its not all "flat" around hear. But there's def no mountains around my hood. On the G.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »

I don't know but it sucks...I wonder what it was, hope its not someone hacking in the site   oO

.....Here we go...

No thats still your post, mine was replaced with that one and deleted   ???  weird

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:06 pm »

More effort. Yes in your leg muscle, not your cardio though.
I don't think it is too important to argue about this, but I still disagree. When running up a hill, the only thing stopping me is my legs. When mountain biking up a hill I feel I get more of a cardiovascular workout. My heart rate is certainly higher when biking up a hill versus running, though that partly may be from the cliff that is on my right that I may be visiting if my tires slip.

Maybe we're just different.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 04:32:02 pm »
I don't know but it sucks...I wonder what it was, hope its not someone hacking in the site   oO

No thats still your post, mine was replaced with that one and deleted   ???  weird

Maybe some mod accidentally clicked something? Hopefully no one is hacking it...I've had some bad experiences with hacking...

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 04:33:14 pm »

I think I just accidently clicked modify on the you post maybe. And wrote thinking it was my post. As a moderater I can modify what people write in this section.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 04:36:19 pm »
I don't think it is too important to argue about this, but I still disagree. When running up a hill, the only thing stopping me is my legs. When mountain biking up a hill I feel I get more of a cardiovascular workout. My heart rate is certainly higher when biking up a hill versus running, though that partly may be from the cliff that is on my right that I may be visiting if my tires slip.

Maybe we're just different.
Let me just put you in my perspective. My gear is so high on my raceing junk bike, I wouldn't make it up a mountain. I agree, if the bike is on an extremly low gear and your peddling fairly rapidly then cardio will be hit much more. All depends, there are many variables.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:40 pm »
Let me just put you in my perspective. My gear is so high on my raceing junk bike, I wouldn't make it up a mountain. I agree, if the bike is on an extremly low gear and your peddling fairly rapidly then cardio will be hit much more. All depends, there are many variables.
True. Though in the correct gear it is more of a cardio type thing.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 04:38:49 pm »
Yuli, I'm just made of steal for real....

So you're like...a robot  ;D

Hey.....what happened to your hair? Thats not very wintery of you...now you'll need a hat!

I don't think it is too important to argue about this, but I still disagree...

Thats fine I wasn't trying to argue...just saying I end up breathing more wind from biking even simply because of the speed, even when going down a big hill there is no work but more cold wind in your face. And its very cold for me...even in the fall I get bad wind-lash and my ears feel like they will fall off... ><

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 04:38:56 pm »
There is no arguement. Its just the truth. WHo can bike longer than they can run? I can. Just simple man, unless your talking about on an exercise bike non stop pedaling.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »
So you're like...a robot  ;D

Hey.....what happened to your hair? Thats not very wintery of you...now you'll need a hat!

Thats fine I wasn't trying to argue...just saying I end up breathing more wind from biking even simply because of the speed, even when going down a big hill there is no work but more cold wind in your face. And its very cold for me...even in the fall I get bad wind-lash and my ears feel like they will fall off... ><

I agree with you. I was talking to Sully.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 04:41:44 pm »

Shaved it, was feeling pretty raw the first days. Yeah my head def needs a hat. I got this goofy hunting cap. Orange with a deer on it.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 04:44:19 pm »
There is no arguement. Its just the truth. WHo can bike longer than they can run? I can. Just simple man, unless your talking baout ona an exercise bike non stop pedaling.
You can bike longer than you can run because you are getting a cardio workout while in running you are getting somewhat of a cardio workout while much more of a workout in the legs. All I know is that's how it is for me.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:47 pm »
Shaved it, was feeling pretty raw the first days. Yeah my head def needs a hat. I got this goofy hunting cap. Orange with a deer on it.
I guess they could use animal skin and then paint it...

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »
I wouldn't compare cycling to running, only to moving by foot. If you count really slow cycling you have to count walking or very slow running too.

And Yuli you can get cycling glasses, a thing to cover your mouth/nose, and a head-band thing to go around under ur helmet which covers your ears. I have that stuff cuz I used to cycle everywhere all year round that I felt was too far per time available to run.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:36 am »
I wouldn't compare cycling to running, only to moving by foot. If you count really slow cycling you have to count walking or very slow running too.
Your right, there's really no comparison. They are different. Although walking is designed for us to take very little energy. Probably to fit a nomadic lifestyle.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »
For the last 3 years I rode over 10000 km on bike and from my experience running exhausts me much quicker than bike.
10 km in 45 minutes of running on the flat surface is like 3 hours of intense biking; more or less.
The heart rate is much quicker.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 06:05:57 pm »
For the last 3 years I rode over 10000 km on bike and from my experience running exhausts me much quicker than bike.
10 km in 45 minutes of running on the flat surface is like 3 hours of intense biking; more or less.
The heart rate is much quicker.
How about climbing 10000 km? Running would be easier. Why don't we just say that they are two totally different sports and you can't really compare them. Could we just leave it at that?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 07:49:19 pm »
Why don't we just say that they are two totally different sports and you can't really compare them. Could we just leave it at that?
It's true that they are two different sports.
But EXHAUSTION is comparable, if you like it or not. :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:51 am »
Interesting discussion re biking vs running. Just an observation: I run each morning and I have a hill that I need to run uphil. The same hill I would ride uphill with my bike afetr coming from work. I feel less exhausted when i run it uphill. Maybe it has sth. to do with the fact that I don't ride a lot  ???. But then when we talk about flat surfaces: I could sure ride 5h straight, but running 5h straight is way more exhausting.
Nicole

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 04:53:54 am »
Interesting discussion re biking vs running. Just an observation: I run each morning and I have a hill that I need to run uphil. The same hill I would ride uphill with my bike afetr coming from work. I feel less exhausted when i run it uphill. Maybe it has sth. to do with the fact that I don't ride a lot  ???. But then when we talk about flat surfaces: I could sure ride 5h straight, but running 5h straight is way more exhausting.
Nicole
So you see how you can't really compare plain biking to running?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:38 am »
It's true that they are two different sports.
But EXHAUSTION is comparable, if you like it or not. :)
Hannibal is making good points. They are different exercises, but if I were to run non-stop up a hill my fastest, exuastion would kick in much much quicker than riding a bike my fastest up the same incline.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk