Author Topic: How much do you guys spend a month on food?  (Read 22375 times)

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How much do you guys spend a month on food?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:02:16 am »
thats absurd

Ketogenesis does quite a good job at keeping my hunger satisfied :)
3 Years on a Strictly Raw Ketogenic Carnivorous Diet.
*Currently still on a Ketogenic diet but have now incorporated raw vegetables.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 06:09:14 am »

How much do you eat per day and how much does it cost you per lb for your fat?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:15:44 am »
How much do you eat per day and how much does it cost you per lb for your fat?

The total weight of my food comes out to around 600 Grams per day.
My macronutrient ratios come out to:
250 Grams of Fat
75 Grams of Protein
Which is around 2600 Calories.

The fat is $5.00/lb (expensive, I know..)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 10:04:10 am »
That gives me hope. My fat costs about $3 per pound.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 04:27:46 pm »
200 eur/month, in Germany. But lately I'm eating a lot more fish than meat, so it's going up to 250-300.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:27 am »
That gives me hope. My fat costs about $3 per pound.

Not bad. I don't really have any farms close by from me so I have to order my fat online. I've heard of people getting fat from farmers for a little bit over $1.00 per pound. Do you order yours online too ?

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:08 pm »
No this farm is nearby. I did so much searching.
-Dustin

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 12:42:16 am »

exactly what foods do you eat on a typical day and in what amounts?
Im in ketosis also and dont seem to have no need to eat like you do.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:53 am »
I would imagine something like that would bring nutrients direct to the source, allowing the body to do with work from there. I think the reason western medicine has emergency down so well is because they are good at two things: surgery and stabilizing people. With their advent of sterilization, surgery becomes commonplace, and anesthesia that safely puts people under and numbs them really helps them stop flailing from pain while trying to stop their bleeding.

I wouldnt be so sure about the safety of anaesthesia. I knew a college professor in biology who would do all sorts of terrible stuff like smoke cigs drink lots of coffee and eat crap food but he would draw the line at any anaesthesia or novocaine or any pain reducing  chemical of the sort. He was so convinced of the danger of these things that he would do very painful dental surgeries completely sober. The dentist couldnt believe it but he sat through incredible pain with no pain relief because his belief in the danger of these things as so strong.
-----------

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 02:31:37 am »
I wouldnt be so sure about the safety of anaesthesia. I knew a college professor in biology who would do all sorts of terrible stuff like smoke cigs drink lots of coffee and eat crap food but he would draw the line at any anaesthesia or novocaine or any pain reducing  chemical of the sort. He was so convinced of the danger of these things that he would do very painful dental surgeries completely sober. The dentist couldnt believe it but he sat through incredible pain with no pain relief because his belief in the danger of these things as so strong.

My conclusion is one of two things:

1- he's onto something

2- he's crazy and dead wrong

If he's onto something, what is the outcome? General sickness? Body needing to detox? wasting years of life by causing your body to renew tissue that was numbed?

I have a hard time taking health considerations from examples where overall health isnt a priority because it sounds too conspiracy theory to me. If he was concerned about health, he'd cut out the cigs. If he thinks anesthesia is worse than cigs, he falls into "good enough" thinking which doesn't satisfy my curiosity.

I wouldn't be surprised however is there is something to that. Pain is your body telling you its limits. We can push through it it gently and stretch the limits, like with exercise. Or we can demolish those limits with adverse affects; like a fracture or muscle tear. How would anesthesia be anything more than a temporary erasing of those limits? Once the anesthesia wears off I don't think the limits have changed... but I may be wrong. Tough to define a subjective thing like pain.
-Dustin

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 04:15:04 am »
He says it causes lots of brain damage every time you use it.
This is not the case with coffee and cigs.
and believe me with the operation he was having itd be much easier to quit cigs or coffee than to do that operation without meds.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:00 am »
also anaesthesia kills lots of people who only use it first time.
-----------

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 06:18:20 am »
exactly what foods do you eat on a typical day and in what amounts?
Im in ketosis also and dont seem to have no need to eat like you do.

I eat the same thing every day:

200 grams of grass fed ground beef (mixed with organs) @ around 16-17% fat
200 grams of grass fed regular ground beef @ around 16-17% fat
190 grams of grass fed fat trimmings / back fat
I do not eat suet
I also may be adding in a small amount of fish in the future

How do you know you're actually in Ketosis ?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:25:59 am by 24isours »

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 06:26:45 am »
True about first time having it kill people. I have to kinda disagree about going through a lot of pain in surgery vs. quitting cigs/coffee.

Addiction is weird like that. My bro has been through some serious hell because of drugs and still keeps goin. Every addict does. I mean 3-4 solid days of SCREAMING his head off all day full blown 10/10 on the ground crying in pain, because of meth use. Think that stopped him? Sadly, nope. Your mind has a way of justifying the drug use because of the pleasure it gives you. Anesthesia can be approached far more logically.
-Dustin

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:46 am »
I still cannot believe I spend 500-600 a month on food. I need to find food that is caloric dense but filling

Offline bookittyrun

• Bear Hunter
  • smart enough to play dumb...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »
to feed myself raw, and one or two kids cooked / partial raw, i spend about 60-80 bucks per week (veggies, fruits, nuts, berries, animal product including seafood, and supplies/seasonings/additives)...  most items are either organic or local, grass fed and fresh/live (but sometimes i need to cut corners to make things work).  dog food is a separate budget category.  i can't budget any more grocery money than that, without living in my car.  i used to spend 100-120 bucks per week feeding myself, and one kid a cooked food diet.  it took a while to reduce my raw grocery spending to be less than my prior cooked spending, but if i split up shopping between 3 or 4 sources, i can make it work.  rationing and portions are crucial components to the equation.

my daughter pays for her own non essential foods (like crappy snacks, and shit).

real men heal from gunshot and stab wounds with a bottle of whiskey, a damp cloth on the forehead, and a hot babe in dirty clothing, watching over them.

no doubt, new york prices are outrageous.  everything from cancer sticks, to bridge toll, to soggy warm hot dogs served from a cart on a stale bun.  yikes.
"it'll be just like a sleepover, only we'll be sweaty and covered with grease!"  spongebob squarepants

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 11:45:52 pm »
How do you know you're actually in Ketosis ?

That's a good question. With half a gallon plus dairy a day that's a lot of carbs.

I still cannot believe I spend 500-600 a month on food. I need to find food that is caloric dense but filling

Beef fat. I eat half a pound daily, costing me $3.89/2.5 lbs. Makes up the bulk of my diet. Costs me like .75 cents a day.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 01:54:15 am »
id assume im in ketosis because my diet is about 70 percent fat. I also feel a difference in my energy. I have a much more stable less erratic type energy now than compared to when im eating lots of carbs. I notice a very distinct difference in the type of energy I feel and I assume this feeling is ketosis.

How can I know besides. those things?
-----------

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 06:02:15 am »
There are urine ketone tests available.
-Dustin

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29:55 am »
There are urine ketone tests available.

Urine ketone tests are inaccurate. If you are in ketosis, ketones should NOT be spilling out of the urine.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 06:33:57 am »
Oh really? So it is just a guess?
-Dustin

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 06:41:45 am »
id assume im in ketosis because my diet is about 70 percent fat. I also feel a difference in my energy. I have a much more stable less erratic type energy now than compared to when im eating lots of carbs. I notice a very distinct difference in the type of energy I feel and I assume this feeling is ketosis.

How can I know besides. those things?

I'd say those symptoms as well as weight loss (if you are overweight and restricting calories) would be signs. I've noticed after eating too much protein I'd get headaches, joint pain, diarrhea and feel fatigued. After experimenting with protein intake and finding that sweet spot I would notice higher energy, increased stamina/strength, mental clarity, normal bowel movements and an increased tolerance to stress.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:01 am »
higher energy, increased stamina/strength, mental clarity, normal bowel movements and an increased tolerance to stress.

i definitly very distinctly feel all of those things compared to when I was doing higher carb raw omnivory minus vegetables. No i do low carb omnivore minus veggies and my energy is much smoother and sustained compared to the more erratic energy of high carb diets.
-----------

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2013, 02:09:30 pm »
How many carbs do you guys eat a day. For the past month I've only had a teaspoon of honey, 1-3 pieces of fruit, and the occasional couple of teaspoons of jam or almond butter. I don't think that puts Mr over 100 g at the worst, usually it wasn't that high. For the past 3 days I've been Vlc with today being one teaspoon of honey with my fat. I feel really good after tonights meal: 5 oz suet, 4 oz salmon, 4 oz liver, little honey. I think I'm in ketosis. What do you guys think?
-Dustin

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:09 pm »
How many carbs do you guys eat a day.

My good level is under 30 g, usually wa-a-a-ay under 30. I have medical reasons for keeping it that low. At the onset, going into ketosis depends on how much glycogen is stored in your liver and muscles. The glycogen has to be burned off first. When the glycogen is all gone, you start burning fat, and the ketones appear as a by-product. (Simplified explanation by a non-scientist.)
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk