Author Topic: slankers suet  (Read 5304 times)

Offline pelham32

• Forager
    • View Profile
slankers suet
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:26 am »
What would you do in this situation, I'm in. Tech school right now for the air force and I ordered suet from slankers approximately 4 lbs. But all we have is a mini fridge in our rooms so I can't freeze it, would it be okay to leave it just refrigerated for like 3 weeks while I just eat it bit by bit untill its gone, that should be okay right?   

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: slankers suet
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:09:52 am »
In my experience, it should be fine to keep it in the fridge.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion/storing-raw-fat/

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:24 am »
suet will get moldy in mini fridge in about 1 week.
that's what happened to me.

you need a freezer.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:19:54 am »
I've had some very dry suet last me for many weeks outside the fridge.It got a little mouldy and green-looking on the surface but I found it fine to eat and it didn't stink or whatever at all. Depends on the type of suet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:52:01 am »
i keep chunks of suet in the fridge in a glass dish (uncovered).  the longest it's been in there is a little over a month, but it still smells fresh, so i'm sure it would keep even longer just fine!

if it's in a plastic bag, you've got to take it out though or moisture (condensation) will form and mold can grow. maybe you can put it in a bowl or on a rack or something?

i keep it as dog treats, sometimes just to rub a small piece in my hands as moisturizer, or to mix in with food... i've never had a problem leaving suet in the fridge for long time.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:05 am »
Ionna is right. Once suet has been thawed it should be taken out of the plastic ASAP or it will get moldy. I've kept suet in paper bags in the pantry for months and it stayed dry, fresh and mold-free, though the surface probably oxidized, which is a theoretical downside. Before the invention of tallow my guess is that Stone Agers just stored suet in the open air or possibly in bags made of skins.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:13:10 am »
I'm thinking ground then dried suet could be a potential travel food. I could store it in a plastic bag with some silica gel?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:19:39 am »
do you have days or meals that are nearly 100% fat?  how does that feel?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 10:55:20 am »
Never tried just fat.

I was thinking of mixing it with jerky.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 01:06:35 am »
I'm thinking ground then dried suet could be a potential travel food. I could store it in a plastic bag with some silica gel?
Why store it in plastic with silica instead of just storing it in paper bags? Are you concerned that others would smell it?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:46:01 pm »
I havn't tried some of the above, but keeping slankers suet in a ceramic pot in my fridge it went completely rancid and moldy in some parts ~ 1 week. Although my fridge seems to be especially prone to mold these days.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:16:59 am »
Although my fridge seems to be especially prone to mold these days.

That was happening to me with my meat, then I realized my fridge was dying. It's all good now :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk