Author Topic: Copper toxicity and eating organ meats?  (Read 8935 times)

Offline nummytummy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Copper toxicity and eating organ meats?
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:57:00 pm »
I believe I have a copper overload that's contributing to a lot of issues such as adrenal fatigue, brain fog, insomnia, etc. I noticed that after I ate a lot of lamb's liver that I felt immediately tired, and then a few days later after eating kidneys and heart, I've been more and more fatigued. Could this be because of the high levels of copper in organ meat? Would it be better to avoid organ meats for a while until my copper and zinc levels are more balanced? Or would I be losing out on a lot of the benefits of eating organ meats? I personally find them more palatable and digestible than muscle meats.

I also noticed my lips are getting dry and the skin is starting to peel off again. It used to be much worse a few months ago and improved significantly once I started including a lot of animal fats in my diet. The only thing is that I'm finding it difficult to eat enough fat and protein when I'm eating raw. The chewing time alone makes it difficult to eat any quantity of food when it's coming from raw meat. I felt significantly better for a short time when I first started including lamb in my diet and made a bone broth with some meat and fat, as it made it much easier to ingest the fat and improved my appetite.

But now I'm almost 100% certain that the fatigue is coming from copper toxicity, because I just took some colloidal zinc and can feel my brain fog lifting. Which leads back to my original question of should I avoid organ meats for the time being in order to keep myself from becoming even more copper toxic and tired?

Thank you!

William

Re: Copper toxicity and eating organ meats?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:58:18 am »
But now I'm almost 100% certain that the fatigue is coming from copper toxicity, because I just took some colloidal zinc and can feel my brain fog lifting. Which leads back to my original question of should I avoid organ meats for the time being in order to keep myself from becoming even more copper toxic and tired?

I took copper pills after taking zinc every day for years. Stopped copper ~8 years ago and I still see copper detox in body waste, but note that this only started when I started raw zero carb.
AFAIK the only organ high in copper is liver, so reduce the amount you eat.

IMO our bodies can cope with the copper in natural source like liver, and if it's too much, your body will tell you by making liver taste bad. It was that way for me.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:14:15 am »
It should not take a long time to eat raw meat & fat, if it tastes good.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:59 am »
I guess I'm in a similar situation. I have many reasons to believe I have copper buildup deep in organ tissues. I certainly avoid liver like the plague. I know liver is very nutritious and a great source of vitamin A. I'm worried since I can't get hold of a good quality CLO. Currently I'm taking artificial vitamin A (retinyl acetate 20000IU daily).

I started a copper detox protocol. I'm taking a lot of supplements:

Zinc 80mg
Molybdenum 2600mcg
Manganese 8mg
L-Taurine 3000mg
MSM 2000mg
N-Acetyl-Cysteine 800mg
PhosphatidylCholine (from eggs) 1000mg
Ascorbic acid 2000mg
Vitamin A 20000 IU
Vitamin D 10000 IU
Vitamin E 400 IU
B-complex
Magnesium (magnesium chloride)
Potassium (potassium chloride)

I get half of these at each one of my two meals a day.  I know this is far from perfect, but so far it's all going well. I'm on a 100% raw Z/C diet.

Offline nummytummy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:54:08 pm »
It should not take a long time to eat raw meat & fat, if it tastes good.

I chew a lot. At first I didn't, because I read here about how you can bolt raw meat and your stomach acid should take care of it. But then I got sick, I think from just swallowing chunks of meat that I couldn't chew down enough for my stomach to handle. So now I chew a lot and I end up spitting out the bits of fiber that I can't seem to pulverise enough to swallow without it ending up like a piece of gum in my mouth. And that's exactly what it looks and feels like by the time I spit it out--a piece of tasteless chewing gum.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is there anything important in these pieces I'm spitting out that I'm missing out on? Or am I getting the valuable nutrients out of them since they pretty much end up colourless (pale beige or white) and compact by the time I spit it out?

But all that chewing makes the eating take a long time. And I seem to lose my appetite pretty quickly. I don't know if this means my body doesn't need anymore, but with the continuing fatigue, it seems like I'm somehow deficient in some nutrient or another so that my body isn't functioning at its optimal level.

Offline nummytummy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »
IMO our bodies can cope with the copper in natural source like liver, and if it's too much, your body will tell you by making liver taste bad. It was that way for me.

Yeah, I think I experienced this. I just had no more appetite for liver. I think after that's when the fatigue dropped in again.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:47 pm »

Liver always tasted bad to me. Does that mean I have loads of cooper?

@Arthas: wow that's a LOT of supplements...

If you want to go low on copper, I think vitamin C megadose will be enough.

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:26:53 am »
If you want to go low on copper, I think vitamin C megadose will be enough.

I'm afraid it's not so simple. Vitamin C may help inhibit copper absorption in the intestine, but it won't help eliminate the copper accumulated deep in some organ tissues (brain and liver mainly). It takes a lot of effort and time to get rid of all that copper. Most of all the supplements I'm taking are supposed to help eliminate copper. I guess the trick is detox the liver, and enable a nice bile flow, since copper is mainly eliminated through the bile. Last week i started drinking a butter and egg yolk smoothie. I believe it'll help keep the bile moving, since the yolks will provide lecithin and butter is almost pure fat(83%). I'm not a fan of dairy and don't intend on continuing this butter smoothie for long, but for now it's the best way I found to get lots of fat at once.

Offline danail1982

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:02:24 pm »
Yes I had the same Experience One of the best way to get rid of copper is coffee enema ,coffee enema cleans the liver and the colon take a look a the this url :http://www.drlwilson.com/detox_protocols.htm#coffee , it really helps me to get rid of the copper , surely you must take the supplement too .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk