Author Topic: How many meals a day?  (Read 11115 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
How many meals a day?
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:36:20 am »
I've read about how many meals a day people say to eat.
Some say 3 meals, some say 4, and 6 and so on.

I personally eat 5 meals a day.

Anybody else gots some info or advice.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How many meals a day?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:55:52 am »
1 or 2 for me. I was trying to follow "The Warrior Diet" before that calls for one large meal in the evening with light snacking allowed during the day.

xylothrill

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:38:55 am »
Usually once a day for me - a form of intermittent fasting, which is the pattern a naturally fell into.

Craig

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:53:59 am »
1 or 2 for me. I was trying to follow "The Warrior Diet" before that calls for one large meal in the evening with light snacking allowed during the day.

Same here.
I eat very lightly during the day and then feast from 5:30 to 9:30 pm. I eat a large meal in courses.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:00 am »
Normally one meal, but will eat a second meal if I'm doing heavy physical labor and get hungry.  Basically I just eat when I'm hungry and most of the time that is once per day.

Lex

xylothrill

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:33:47 am »
Normally one meal, but will eat a second meal if I'm doing heavy physical labor and get hungry.  Basically I just eat when I'm hungry and most of the time that is once per day.

Lex

Likewise exactly!

Craig

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:53:33 pm »

Lex

Hi Lex,

I thought that you gave up eating one meal a day (I am following the messages on SaturatedFatForHealth group); I hope you get on with all but it does not seem simple any more!

For me one meal a day gives me free time to get on with life - we are running out of free time...

Nicola

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:51:51 am »
Well I guess hunter gatherers ate just when they were hungry.  But if your constantly moving and active i'm asuming they ate usually small meals through the day. Gathering berries, fruits, vegetables, digging up roots, and hunting. To keep a constant surge of energy for their active lives.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:35:00 am »
Nicola,
I just couldn't continue to eat several meals per day.  I wasn't hungry and was just eating to fulfill someone else's idea of what is best.  It got so I dreaded my next meal.  I decided it was best to just monitor BG and ketones but revert back to my 1 meal per day routine which is what I started with.

I'm also not sure that it is best to try to manipulate BG and ketones.  Our paleo ancestors certainly didn't agonize over getting up at 4am to stop a BG cascade.  I've decided not to worry about it and just eat when I'm hungry and monitor the results as was the original plan.

Lex

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:15:36 am »
Lex,

I think this is wise. I'm also trying to keep it as simple (i.e. fatty meats) as I can although I'm still kind of struggling with the tiredness after meals. BUT, adding iodine to the mix seems to help so instead of going back and forth with it, I'll just have it at every meal.

Take care,
Kristelle :)

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:50:03 am »
Nicola,
I just couldn't continue to eat several meals per day.  I wasn't hungry and was just eating to fulfill someone else's idea of what is best.  It got so I dreaded my next meal.  I decided it was best to just monitor BG and ketones but revert back to my 1 meal per day routine which is what I started with.

I'm also not sure that it is best to try to manipulate BG and ketones.  Our paleo ancestors certainly didn't agonize over getting up at 4am to stop a BG cascade.  I've decided not to worry about it and just eat when I'm hungry and monitor the results as was the original plan.
Lex

That is the best statement I read today; you know what you are doing and with your desire to respect life things will work out.

:)Nicola

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:17 am »
I'm going to try the warrior diet meal plan.

Satya

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:04:03 am »
I'm going to try the warrior diet meal plan.

Have you tried the WD, Sully?  I like the basic premise, which is pretty similar to the old Fit For Life plan of Harvey Diamond.  In fact, it's safe to say Ori modelled his plan from FFL.  The idea of overeating does not appeal to me, however.  I have his book, so I understand the overeating phase, but it seems strange to me.  I like to eat until satisfied, not stuffed.  Perhaps it's because he suggests eating raw veggies first in the big meal of the day, going on to protein, and ending on carbs.  There's no way I could sleep at night after all that!  But I think a modified approach works great.

The intermittent fasting protocol that is basically eat nothing until a five hour window at night doesn't work perfectly for me either, all of the time.  I exercise either at 6 am or by noon.  So I want a bit of something after that, generally.  Sometimes I want a couple of eggs around 10 even, but then other times, one meal is okay.

I'd love to hear what others are doing, and if your eat times have changed rpd.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 07:03:32 am »
Since I work now and am up at around 6 a.m. every day I usually eat a normal lunch time meal. Today I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/4 lb of raw beef and along with that a "sandwich" I made out of a hollowed out cucumber stuffed with tuna salad. The tuna salad was cooked. Tonight I'll probably try to get down as much raw beef along with fat/suet as I can before tiring of it, and then if I'm still hungry switch over to some cooked paleo fair like some bison sausage I have along with some onions, carrots and possibly eggs.

In other words my plan for now is to eat about twice a day with the second meal being larger than the first. I start my meals with raw meat of some type and if I don't want to eat anymore of that but am still hungry I might finish with some cooked paleo foods. Hopefully over time I can increase the ratio of raw to cooked in these meals.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 09:25:11 am »
I almost always get 2 full sized meals in a day, lunch and dinner, with dinner being the larger of the 2.  Usually 3/4 lb beef lunch, then 1-1.5 lb beef for supper.  I'll eat some non-starchy non-sweet fruit w/ it too (tomato, peppers, avocado).  Morning varies, sometimes I'll eat up to 8 eggs w/ berries b4 lunch, other times I'll just have a couple.  Also I eat fruit in the early evening before/after working out.   
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 10:29:09 am »
I usually just have fruit for breakfast.
I schedule my big main raw meat meal lunch.
And dinner is usually just some hydrating fruit... or if I didn't eat a big enough lunch, more raw meat.

If I have a client call in the morning, and I know I'll be working, driving, I'll eat a couple of whole fertilized eggs in the morning depending on the expectation of work I need to do.  For example we will go on a road trip and I'm driving, a fruit only breakfast will not do, I'll need some 3 to 5 raw eggs.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

JaX

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
3 meals per day for me. Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. Although I don't eat breakfast just when I wake up.. I eat breakfast 1-2 hours after I wake up, at which time I am really hungry.

Usually my breakfast or lunch is the largest meal and dinner is a little smaller, but there isn't a big difference between the three always.

I find that what I eat for breakfast/lunch digests faster than what I eat for dinner or what I eat too late in the evening.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 05:09:29 am »
Have you tried the WD, Sully?  I like the basic premise, which is pretty similar to the old Fit For Life plan of Harvey Diamond.  In fact, it's safe to say Ori modelled his plan from FFL.  The idea of overeating does not appeal to me, however.  I have his book, so I understand the overeating phase, but it seems strange to me.  I like to eat until satisfied, not stuffed.  Perhaps it's because he suggests eating raw veggies first in the big meal of the day, going on to protein, and ending on carbs.  There's no way I could sleep at night after all that!  But I think a modified approach works great.

The intermittent fasting protocol that is basically eat nothing until a five hour window at night doesn't work perfectly for me either, all of the time.  I exercise either at 6 am or by noon.  So I want a bit of something after that, generally.  Sometimes I want a couple of eggs around 10 even, but then other times, one meal is okay.

I'd love to hear what others are doing, and if your eat times have changed rpd.

I eat one meal a day. I feel the best doing it compared to multiple meals. The key of success for me is to make that one meal very fatty. 70 to 80% of calories from fat. When my meat is too lean I experience constipation. I currently started to only eat about 100 calories from plants during the winter. I might do 0 calories from plants soon. I eat mainly carrots for that, and I eat it a couple of hours before my meat. I eat my meat around 5pm and 3 to 4 hours after I go to bed. I eat about 2 pounds of fatty meat or a little more or less. I would eat just as much as I want but i'm on a budget. I buy lean grass fed bison. Lex sen me a bunch of suet, so I'm using that for my fat currently. If i couldn't get fatty meat to dominate my diet I would have fatty nuts (or avocado) which I did in my beginning days of raw paleo. I prefer macadamia, hazelnut, avocado, and coconut over others fatty nuts because of their low polysaturated fat and high saturated and or monosaturated fat.

I feel the best energy wise doing this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk