Author Topic: Getting started with RAW... Safety…How, what? help  (Read 13381 times)

Offline MaryC

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started with RAW... Safety…How, what? help
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 07:04:34 pm »
Although I'm not sure some country towns might have grass fed as standard, but seeing as you're a uni student you are definitely in the city (Sydney?) so meat is grain fed 100% of the time unless stated otherwise.

Yep Sydney, always great when you are on a budget  l) ...

Well gonna keep paying for grain fed... Wasn't there a TV show with farmers looking for a wife or something like that?  -\  ;D

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 11:24:26 am »
In the states you get cows which spend most of their lives inside sheds eating grain (and other stuff)

I wanted to distinguish between US feed lot beef and free range grain finished beef which we have here.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 06:28:56 pm »
In the states you get cows which spend most of their lives inside sheds eating grain (and other stuff)

I wanted to distinguish between US feed lot beef and free range grain finished beef which we have here.
There are still plenty of farmers out there doing free-range grain finishing here in the US. Most cows are finished at feedlots but lots of farmer don't want to, or can't afford to, send their animals to a feedlot.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 10:11:30 am »

These are the cow's used for supermarket beef in Sydney. It's good to eat still imo, but definitely not close to 100% grass fed.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 11:27:03 am »
I've found if you go to older shopping centres of shopping centers in poor area's you can get some real bargains over here in the West. The rents are dirt cheap compared to the shiny centers and the pensioners can't afford expensive meats.

I saw 1kg packs of mince at $2 a kilo recently with $1 off stickers on them. That's 1 buck a kilo! Meat is not expensive here in Australia if you look.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk