Author Topic: random ideas, and the calories myth theory. Open discussion  (Read 1937 times)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
random ideas, and the calories myth theory. Open discussion
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:58 am »
I'm basically making a post for open discussion for some of my new ideas. I have not used calories for a long time and dont think that they are necessary. Our bodies obviously dont "burn" calories, in fact calories is nothing that our body can actually utilize. Recently, I have been telling people that the whole thing about counting calories is stupid, and they should just count grams of macronutrients and grams in general. Here are a few of my questions for you guys.
1- since calories dont matter at all, is it still true that the macro nutrient fat yields more energy than protein and carbs? With that being said, dont forget that a gram of ketones in the urine is approximately 5kcal, so there is a net loss of 5kcal from the original 9kcal consumed.
2- Since calories dont matter at all, what do some of you guys use to get estimates of how much you are eating? I use grams, but Ive heard some use other methods.
3- Are there any books refuting the calories theory? Id be really interested to read them
4- I've seen some guys gain more muscle than other guys even though they eat less. Maybe on a raw diet, this would not be the case, and maybe those certain guys that gain more muscle have more enzyme mutations for cooked foods than the other guys. However, this evidence also goes completely against the theory that the only way to gain muscle is by eating more. Those guys may have had more hormones than the others. On the flip side, I have also seen people stay lean by eating kilos of food a day, while someone else becomes practically obese eating the same amount of food. I know genetics, hormones, and metabolism play a huge role, but here is my question, and this could start a theory to think about. Is it possible to manipulate diet (eating certain times a day, type of food, type of rest, etc...) to the point where you could eat less and gain muscle, or eat more and lose fat?
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: random ideas, and the calories myth theory. Open discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:32:07 pm »
I just eat either until I'm full or until I no longer feel hungry. The 2nd approach works bets for me, of course.

As for calories, that is mainly a vegan notion really, and it's misguided as it deals with the energy within a particular food, much of which will not be properly usable by the human body if in the form of grains, and heating/cooking denatures the food so that the food has fewer utilisable vitamins/minerals per gram etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk