Author Topic: Hoodia  (Read 4060 times)

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Hoodia
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:21:55 pm »
I'm sure most of you are annoyed as much as I am when every month there is a new ancient super fruit that's been used for thousands of years by some indigenous tribe. My GF's mom told me how she used Hoodia to help her lose weight. I remember hearing about it as an appetite suppressant used by hunters. I found this

Hoodia Gordonii is a plant cultivated along the Kalahari Desert of South Africa. Its effectiveness as an appetite suppressant is not a new discovery. In fact, the natives of the Kalahari Desert have been using it for thousands of years in order to suppress their hunger. They didn’t do it for weight loss though; rather, they used it to keep hunger at bay when on a hunting expedition, since it would be extremely inconvenient to burden themselves with food supplies at the time of hunting.

It is strange that man discovered its beneficial effects on weight loss as late as 1960’s. The logic is that by suppressing your appetite, Hoodia rids you of those unbearable and painful hunger pangs which make weight loss so difficult for you. It other words, Hoodia makes it easier for you to lose weight.

I don't think there is anything magical in Hoodia. I'm sure those hunters choose it because it was probably the most or only tolerable fiber in their surroundings to fill up their stomaches. Now is this a normal practice in paleo times? like chewing on a twig to help ease hunger? Your opinions?

William

Re: Hoodia
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:49:05 pm »
Suppressing the knowledge of hunger would result in muscle-wasting due to starvation. Stupid policy typical of self-destructive neolithic man.

There is no evidence that paleoman starved, on the contrary all the evidence is the we were well fed, always.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:06 am »
Palaeoman did indeed starve at times. If they'd been well-fed it would have been the Palaeo tribes which would have dominated the Earth and not the Neolithic settlers who came after, replacing them.

As for herbal use, herbal medicine was practised even in Palaeo times - after all, they didn't have access to modern medical techniques or drugs,so herbs were a necessity re getting rid of inflammation and many other symptoms in those days.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:10:35 am »
Palaeoman did indeed starve at times.

Starvation leaves marks on bones. Are you aware of such evidence?

If they'd been well-fed it would have been the Palaeo tribes which would have dominated the Earth and not the Neolithic settlers who came after, replacing them.

Paleoman dominated the Earth in a sane and responsible manner for much longer than their luckless Neolithic descendants.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:47:56 pm »
Starvation leaves marks on bones. Are you aware of such evidence?

Yes indeed. Here's a report of a study focusing on starvation marks found on Neanderthal teeth, for instance:-

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/local_news/neanderthals-starved-and-ate-each-other-study-34849_32251.html

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »

Yes indeed. Here's a report of a study focusing on starvation marks found on Neanderthal teeth, for instance:-

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/local_news/neanderthals-starved-and-ate-each-other-study-34849_32251.html

Thanks.
Surprising that Neanderthals were bad hunters.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:16:13 pm »
Celebs are known for doing wacky diets, but lets be real. They're all habitually  plastic surgery patients.

My whole point of this thread was to point out that hoodia was chewed by hunters to stall starvation. I'm making an assumption that it wasn't chewed for some magical power, just for it's fiber to fill up the belly of the hunters. But marketing turned it into some ancient warrior/hunter hunger suppression secret now available to the mass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk