Author Topic: Raw Milk Victory  (Read 10059 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Raw Milk Victory
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »
GREAT NEWS FOR RAW-MILK DRINKERS IN CANADA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farmer cleared of 'raw milk' charges
Court gives consumers access to unpasteurized products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 21, 2010
8:16 pm Eastern

© 2010 WorldNetDaily

Natural foods advocates are claiming a victory today after a court ruling cleared a dairy farmer of a string of charges he faced because of the raw milk he sold to members of a cow-sharing consortium.
According to natural foods blogger Kimberly Hartke, Michael Schmidt was found not guilty in a verdict that took a judge more than two hours to read.

The judge "found that Michael had done his due diligence, developed a proper contract, and that everyone was informed," Hartke reported. "The judge went on to say that Michael met a need for the people."

The case against the Ontario, Canada, dairy farmer hearkens back to similar disputes in the U.S. over the same issue.

WND previously reported when Mennonite farmer Mark Nolt of Maryland had his farm raided by SWAT-type agents and was fined more than $4,000 and had his equipment confiscated for providing raw – or unpasteurized – milk to participants in his program.

In the Ontario case, the ruling from the Newmarket justice of the peace found the cow-sharing operation Schmidt runs out of his Durham farm does not violate milk-marketing and public-health regulations.
The ruling concluded a three-years war over his business and means his milk legally can be distributed to consumers who have purchased "cow shares" in exchange for access to the milk.

Drinking raw milk in Canada is not banned, but other laws require pasteurization on most commercial milk products. According to a report in the Globe and Mail, 10 U.S. states – including California, Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and New Mexico – allow licensed farmers to sell raw milk with a warning label at grocery stores.

In other states, like Canadian provinces with tighter restrictions, consumers often participate in a "cow-sharing" or some other arrangement to gain access to such products.

Advocates say it is healthier. Hartke reports Kevin Trudeau touts raw mil    k in his New York Times best-seller "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About," and Sally Fallon Morell's cookbook, "Nourishing Traditions," recommends it and has sold 350,000 copies.

"Her work as a nutrition educator is based on the pioneering research of a dentist in the 1930s. Weston A. Price traveled the world, studying primitive tribes and their nutrition to try and uncover the mystery of modern degenerative disease. His research discovered the vital importance of animal fats in the human diet, and specifically, that raw milk and cheese were a significant source of nutrients for many cultures," she has reported.

Government agencies tasked with making sure health products are safe say the use of raw milk sets off alarms because of the possibility unpasteurized products carry harmful pathogens such as listeria.

Health agencies, then, have tried to clamp down on distributions of raw milk.

According to a report at HealthZone, the ruling from Justice of the Peace Paul Kowarsky cleared Schmidt of 19 counts.

"After leaving court, Schmidt smiled, accepted a glass of raw milk from one of his supporters and took a big gulp of his farm-fresh product," the report said.

Hartke also has written about the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund which was set up in the U.S. in 2007 to protect the rights of farmers and consumers to engage in commerce directly.

According to reports published by the Weston A. Price Foundation, results of a study by the Medical Research Council in the United Kingdom revealed only 1 percent of the subjects in an ongoing lifestyle study of 5,000 men suffered heart attacks – if they drank full-fat milk and ate butter rather than margarine.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=122709
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Milk Victory
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:30:05 am »
That should read, a string of trumped up charges, with no evidence to back them up, he should sue, i would if someone was stupid enough to send a swat team over milk ...

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:37:59 am »
I drink Michael Schmidts milk! It is a huge victory for the raw milk movement in Canada. The judge wrote a thesis that has been published on how to distribute raw milk legally in an unjust legal system!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:01:33 am »
    I would love to see the thesis!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:18:37 am »
    I would love to see the thesis!

So would I! I cant find it anywhere, feel free to search for yourself! The Judges name is Paul Kowarsky, and the farmer in defenses name is Michael Schmidt!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:04 pm »
Friday Jan 22 2010
Justice of the Peace Paul Kowarsky did not actually deal with Schmidt's contention that mandatory pasteurization laws violate his constitutional rights. Rather, Kowarsky simply found that Schmidt's cow-share model – where people buy a portion of the cow, rather than pay directly for the milk – does not violate our health and milk regulations. (In Ontario, it is illegal to sell unpasteurized milk but legal to drink it, and farmers often do.)

This decision is not going to be the last word on raw milk, however. Schmidt has already said he wants to "move into a dialogue where even more people can enjoy raw milk." That's exactly the sort of slippery slope that health officials want to avoid.

Schmidt and his supporters have worked hard to frame this issue as one of rights – that is, the right to choose what to consume. But raw milk is also a health issue, and the experts say that drinking untreated milk puts consumers at increased risk of exposure to harmful pathogens, including listeria

That's what I found looking for the thesis.  

We'll see what happens with the aforementioned contention of pasteurization violating constitutional rights of what we drink, eat etc can have salmonella or anything else if we specifically choose those microorganisms.  

I sign a contract every year that I expect that in the food I get from one place.  I don't truthfully want any organism in particular, but the contract states things like that.  It helps me get what I need/choose, when otherwise it would be imposiible to get.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:01 pm »
Good find Rawzi! I saw that too when I was looking for the thesis, but didnt actually read it! Now I have! I have to buy a cow share every year. One share entitles me to 1 gallon of milk per week. I can get as much cream, yogurt, and cheese as id like though!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 02:39:26 am »
    Thank you.  Yogurt stores pretty easily.  Milk has to be used faster if you want it unfrozen.  Yogurt just gets more sour, which is good.  Cheese freezes well too, and and is more stable than milk even unrefrigerated.  Cream, I guess they're feeding the skim milk to the chickens and pigs.  You know how it is, separated food parts and marketable value or whatever goes up.  I can get more milk than a gallon, but I might have to order it a month ahead.

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:47:33 am »
   Thank you.  Yogurt stores pretty easily.  Milk has to be used faster if you want it unfrozen.  Yogurt just gets more sour, which is good.  Cheese freezes well too, and and is more stable than milk even unrefrigerated.  Cream, I guess they're feeding the skim milk to the chickens and pigs.  You know how it is, separated food parts and marketable value or whatever goes up.  I can get more milk than a gallon, but I might have to order it a month ahead.

I drink 4 liters of Plain raw milk per week and 2 liters of yogurt. All of this is consumed within about 1 week. The milk lasts about 11 days before it is pretty sour smelling, still drinkable, but doesnt taste great lol. My yogurt is always gone within 2-3 days just because its so darn tasty! The skim milk just get disposed of from where I get my dairy. Sometimes I get cream and make butter, and just drink back the butter milk after is has seperated from the fat.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:58:45 am »
I drink 4 liters of Plain raw milk per week and 2 liters of yogurt. All of this is consumed within about 1 week. The milk lasts about 11 days before it is pretty sour smelling, still drinkable, but doesnt taste great lol. My yogurt is always gone within 2-3 days just because its so darn tasty!

Mix your milk with your yogurt and let it sit 1 - 3 days unrefrigerated.  The sugar will lower, the protein will grow.  It will last longer and taste better.  I'm going to drink some now!

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 04:15:08 am »
    Mix your milk with your yogurt and let it sit 1 - 3 days unrefrigerated.  The sugar will lower, the protein will grow.  It will last longer and taste better.  I'm going to drink some now!

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try it tomorrow when I pick up my milk order!

Sometimes I clabber my milk by putting a tablespoon of raw honey into 2 liters of milk and letting it sit in the oven with the oven light on only for 48 hours. Tastes pretty good!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 05:11:32 am »
    :)  cool.  So many people who drank milk used to clabber it.  Now few people know the word.  I guess clabbering doesn't work with commercial milk -v :D  When will the so called appointed rulers ever learn to let people live healthy lives, stop vaccinating their animals, stop boosting "growth" with antibiotics etc so we all can do something simple like clabber again.

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:11 am »
   :)  cool.  So many people who drank milk used to clabber it.  Now few people know the word.  I guess clabbering doesn't work with commercial milk -v :D  When will the so called appointed rulers ever learn to let people live healthy lives, stop vaccinating their animals, stop boosting "growth" with antibiotics etc so we all can do something simple like clabber again.

Isnt it funny how raw milk doesnt spoil and commercial milk does? I think it will be a long time before the rulers allow people to live healthily.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 05:47:35 am »
Isnt it funny how raw milk doesnt spoil and commercial milk does? I think it will be a long time before the rulers allow people to live healthily.

It's healthy to take your health, not wait around and see if the "superiors" consider you in a good light and "allow" you to have it.  Whether they have a reason or not to see us healthy or know what's healthy, it's NOT THEIR HEALTH!  It's the health of the feed animals and our health.  They are not there to own us like we are hated things.  WE allow THEM their to assist us IF we ever need.  They're there because they want to be, not because we voted them in.  If we don't vote for one ruler, the other ruler up there will win the position anyway.  

edit 0_:39:30 PM misspelling
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:39:25 am by RawZi »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 05:47:42 am »
We are thrilled with the outcome of Michael's case as we are in Ontario also. However the government has appealed it. The Liberal and Conservative candidates in the  local byelection did not respond to my emails and phone calls regarding what their point of view is on the policy.

We drink 3 gallons a week of milk and 1/2 gallon of cream which we use partly to make butter. I want to start making my own cheese but in the meantime we get raw cheese. I have tried a few ways of making kefir as it is lower temperature than yogurt and thus easier to make. First I tried a culture. That culture seemed to get very strong very quickly so then I tried kefir grains which work well but Aajonus Vonderplanitz suggested using raw honey to innoculate the milk. This is very simple foolproof and gives a bit of sweetness to the kefir. I personally find the kefir too strong as I have strong digestion anyways and don't really need it.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 07:35:14 am »
Maybe the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (http://ccla.org/) would take up the case? It's an infringement on your right to eat what you want to eat.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 03:08:37 am »
If you want more info on Michael Schmidt's raw milk situation, take a look at

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/

That website has a link ("Reasons for Judgement") to the court ruling from Michael Schmidt's case.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:28 am »
I just want to chime in with another raw milk victory! Our farmer here in Minnesota was just cleared of all 6 charges for delivering/selling raw milk from the farm to the twin cities area. He was cleared by a jury of his peers against the state of Minnesota. I attended the court hearing yesterday and you should have heard the bullshit the prosecutor for the state was laying on, incredible! But we did it! Mark one down for freedom, and this could set precedent because the way the 'law' (unconstitutional maritime law though it is) is written in the minnesota codes is that to get raw milk, you have to go to the farm, bring your own jug, and only go occasionally, whatever the fuck that means!

SOOOOOOOO happy right now, and feeling super reassured about my fellow human beings, this was a thinking jury and they ASKED QUESTIONS! I was the only person in the court room after everyone had left and the jury was in deliberation, they sent a note to the judge asking if cow leases were legal in MN. Judge and prosecutor told them they didn't know and would have to make do with the information provided. Fuck the fake government, freeeeedom!

Here's the article.... That is Alvin (defendant) in the picture in a group embrace with all the families he provides amish, 100% grass fed milk to. Lots of support, lots of loOooOove!

http://m.startribune.com/?id=170521646
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:17:37 am by Thoth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk