Author Topic: Very strong detox reaction  (Read 4620 times)

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Very strong detox reaction
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:13 pm »
I'm on day 8. I've been eating all raw - organic grass fed/finished beef, ground beef, liver, heart, a little tongue and a little tuna. I do eat a salad each day with cukes, avocado and org lettuce. I also eat granny smith apples.

This morning I woke up at about 3 am with that "toxic hunger feeling." Since I've done fasts before, I knew the feeling. I felt worse until I finally vomited. Then, I got intense and acute menstrual cramps for about an hour. I was moaning and rolling in bed. I have also been through this before two times over the last ten years and one of those times was after I began detoxing. My period started two hours later.

Anyway, I'm going to rest today, but wonder if anyone has ever gone through this too? IDT this will happen again, but wonder about the cause and how to support my body.

Thanks!
sg
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:56:41 pm by spicegirl_0101 »

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Very strong detox reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:03 am »
I would really like to hear any words of encouragement and even some tips on some soothing food I could eat. The thought of raw heart is not so appetizing at the moment.

I did make a real simple raw egg "shake" to give me energy. I feel pretty drained..

The good news is that the last time I had a reaction like this was a fast I did in 2001 and my asthma went away and never came back. There's hope here. Just that

This was just a rough morning and I had been feeling good. I'd just like any encouragement

Thanks,
sg
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:55:04 am by spicegirl_0101 »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:37:17 am »
eat some soothing foods.....broths, soups.  if you are hungry for some carbs, eat some roasted roots or perhaps a bit of cooked corn grits...dont over indulge, just eat whatever will be soothing and also the healthiest option you can think of for whatever you are craving or missing in your diet

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:17 am »
I'm sorry to hear you're having it rough at the moment. I'm still new to the diet myself, less than a month in. I can say that until I added in some fats with any raw muscle meat I was eating, it left me feeling fatigued. Raw bone marrow in particular was very soothing and can be scooped right out of the bones. I've seen some say raw fatback is also very helpful. I haven't had the chance to order any of that yet. I've also been eating suet to no ill effect, but others find it hard to digest, so maybe try that in small quantities until you know how you'll react. It has a much dryer, harder texture than other fat I've had.

I know you said the raw heart didn't really appeal to you right now, but I found it gave me more energy than other muscle meat.

Raw pineapple has some anti-inflammatory pain soothing effects. I've found it to help with menstrual cramping. Also a nice warm water bottle to hold across the abdomen.

Hang in there, and listen to your body. I know it's a little scary and disappointing when a change you make seems to make you feel worse than the better you're expecting, but setbacks like that tend to be temporary. I hope you're feeling better today.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:59:21 am »
I had big time detoxes when I first went RAW, though in my case I was coming off SAD. The thing about detoxes is that you should experience improvement in your health in between them and they should gradually become less frequent, less severe, and shorter in duration. If something is persistent, then maybe rethink the particular food.

But detox is a good thing, just do your best to nurture your body through the process like Jessica said. Get as nutrient dense, easily digestible foods as possible in to your system. For me, eggs are good one, can be made in to a smoothie, lots of eggs, little banana, raw cream if possible, then my system is getting a recharge that is not also very taxing.

If it helps to warm your meat a bit do that, just gently so it feels not so cold and dead, and enough to provide some residual heat. Warm is comforting when you're not feeling well, unless cooling is depending on your symptoms.

I like comfort food too when I get sick, I don't care what anyone says, if a food brings comfort, I find it really gives my system a boost, like it gives me some energy with which to push back against the sickness.

Also remind yourself why raw foods are so nourishing and the right answer to true, meaningful health. Think about how much damage is done to food in cooking. And why detoxing is a necessary part of the process of healing.

You'll be fine, good luck! You're on the right track!

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:12 am »
Thanks everyone. All of your responses were incredibly helpful.

I remembered some food we have around that I could prepare for myself. I had some fresh frozen pineapple and some sweet potatoes. I can't tell you how that little nibble of pineapple hit the spot! It gave me enough energy to steam the sweet potatoes and prepare some gently soft boiled eggs, which sounds perfect right now.

sg

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:31:31 am »
Yay! I'm so glad it helped and that you're feeling better.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:03:57 am »
Of course, going back to cooked food stops the detox.

A probably more suitable way is to control the detox by eating properly, just only what your body wants and needs, and in the proper amount. 100% raw, no dairy, don’t eat to much fruits but all the vegetables you like: it seems that fruits tend to make the detox runaway while vegetables have an opposite effect. 

That’s what I did 25 years ago and the detox I experienced were very mild. I was sometimes tired during the first year, but that was all. Just a few months after I began to eat raw paleo (instincto way), we traveled around the world with my then wife and 10 years old son. Perhaps cassia fistula helped me, but when we arrived in Australia all my cassia was confiscated at Darwin airport by the custom, so I had to do without it. It was ok anyway and wherever we’ve been I could find enough food suitable to eat raw, except that I was a few times a bit hungry. But we travelled generally near the sea, so that fish and shellfish were available.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:05:37 am »
Thanks everyone. All of your responses were incredibly helpful.

I remembered some food we have around that I could prepare for myself. I had some fresh frozen pineapple and some sweet potatoes. I can't tell you how that little nibble of pineapple hit the spot! It gave me enough energy to steam the sweet potatoes and prepare some gently soft boiled eggs, which sounds perfect right now.
Congrats! Wow, this shows how greatly individual experience can vary. Cooked sweet potatoes and pineapple cause me problems, whereas nearly all the other foods you listed give me nothing but benefits (except for avocados, for some reason, which are highly praised by many, but give me negative effects). So much for dogma! LOL
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:15:24 am »
Thanks PaleoPhil and Iguana.

I think if I didn't have company coming tomorrow morning I might have just let the detox go on and stayed in bed.

I'll follow my body's guide. My preferred diet has been lots of vegetables and some raw protein. I don't mind some detox, but I do know from experience that if you detox too fast you can tax your organs especially the kidneys.

sg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk