Author Topic: Sources of Fat  (Read 5070 times)

Offline jameweights

• Forager
    • View Profile
Sources of Fat
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:11:19 am »
Around 300g of meat gives me my protein but the fat is quite low.

The fats I currently have are coconut oil and egg yolks ..

Beef dripping I have tried but don't like.

Organ meats are not great because of the histamine issue I have ... I always get really hot and throw up.

What else is recommended?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Sources of Fat
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:23:27 am »
How about raw marrow, raw brains and raw tongue? Not sure what "drippings" are - is that suet?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:13:11 am »
I ask for the fat trimmed from the meat in the butcher department. I enjoy the backfat trimmings best. I dislike the suet. Fatty fish has a nice layer of fat attached to the skin. And like TD says, brains, marrow, and tongue are delicious and fatty.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:16:09 am »
What about clarified butter? I know clarified butter is not paleo from a philosophical perspective. But from a scientific point of view does it contain anything undesirable in it? Lets say he got some fresh raw butter from grass-fed cows or sheeps milk. Then he melted it at precisely 100F and carefully clarified it with the precision of a chemist. This could then be used to dress or dip any lean foods. Would this not be a healthy way for a beginner to include copious amounts of palatable fat in their diet?
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline jameweights

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:31:34 pm »
What about clarified butter? I know clarified butter is not paleo from a philosophical perspective. But from a scientific point of view does it contain anything undesirable in it? Lets say he got some fresh raw butter from grass-fed cows or sheeps milk. Then he melted it at precisely 100F and carefully clarified it with the precision of a chemist. This could then be used to dress or dip any lean foods. Would this not be a healthy way for a beginner to include copious amounts of palatable fat in their diet?
Tried ghee (clarified butter) before and it gave me some acne and gas.

Offline jameweights

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »
How about raw marrow, raw brains and raw tongue? Not sure what "drippings" are - is that suet?

Beef dripping is the hard white fat in the tubs .. I believe you guys do call it suet

Will try some of those but really need to be careful about the histamine levels in some of those items

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:39 am »
Ghee is heated to WAY above 100 degrees Fahrenheit so it still contains some traces of heat-created toxins.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:09:24 am »
Beef dripping is the hard white fat in the tubs .. I believe you guys do call it suet

Will try some of those but really need to be careful about the histamine levels in some of those items

Beef drippings in a tub is called tallow or rendered fat. It is cooked in the rendering process.

When you refer to histamine levels in items, do you mean that the food itself contains histamines, or that your body is producing the histamines as an inflammatory response? If you mean that you are producing histamines, have you tried food rotation? The idea would be to find a food that you do not react to once, then refrain from eating that food again for 3 or 4 days, then eat it once again. Even rotating the type of animal that you are eating may help you prevent a response. Unfortunately, the learning curve may bring on some food reaction, but the information you obtain will help you in the future.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:39:01 am »
What about fatty fish? I just scored a whole bunch of steelhead salmon that's incredibly fatty - and it's wild-caught. I actually opened up the package, took a bite of the fat, was drooling everywhere, walked back into the shop and bought a ton more. The guy was very amused. Other fatty fish like mackeral, certain expensive cuts of tuna, and sardines are very delicious and source a lot of fat.

Find fatty cuts of red meat. You can always opt for pork/boar, too. Bone marrow as mentioned above is a very nutrient-dense fat.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:27 pm »
I like bone marrow, backfat and raw butter. I tried tallow for awhile, but didn't like it. I'd rather stay raw.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk