Author Topic: fats and cuts of meat  (Read 12995 times)

Offline Matt51

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: fats and cuts of meat
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 06:28:24 pm »
My oven only goes as low as 170F. My water heater can only be set as low as 120F. I did live in Arizona 5 years, and I know what it is like to be 120F in the shade. I understand and agree with the idea meat can be overcooked. Raw may be the absolute best. Consider however, paleo man did not have meat grinders or good knives. Good knives were not commonly available to humans until the British invented steel during the start of the industrial revolution. There are cases where Africans murdered Europeans to get their steel knives. Eating parts of an animal is quite easy raw. Eating parts of the animal raw is difficult, unless you spend many hours chewing. The thought crossed my mind, if slow cooking at 130F preserved most the nutrients of the tough parts of an animal, you can still eat the soft parts raw, it might be a reasonable compromise. Or maybe not, maybe it would be a step backwards. Evidently slow cooking at 130 F none of the protein juices are lost from the meat during cooking.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 04:13:32 am »
I certainly would have a hard time eating a whole animal raw without scissors or knives, but if chimps can do it I assume our ancestors didn't have much problem. Probably stronger jaws and better ripping ability with hands, and also you don't have to chew raw meat very well to digest it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 09:10:38 pm »
Since one doesn't actually need to chew raw meats(carnivores prefer to just bolt the raw meats down without chewing), it should be obvious that Palaeo peoples pre-cooking had no difficulty in eating raw meats. Besides, they had flints to cut off the skin/fur from as far back as 2.5 million years ago when they first turned majorly to raw meat.

*it should be noted that chewing is heavily recommended if one is eating cooked food, as without any enzymes in it(unlike raw meats), it needs extra digestion to help it along.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 08:05:24 am »
Enzymes start to be destroyed above 98-100 degrees F (36-38 C) if your talking about honey.  Meat is just a little higher than that, about 105, and all are lost by 115. (40-46C)

I sometimes toss stuff in the oven at 170 straight from the fridge (low as it will go).  Depending on the thickness, can take 10-20 mins to warm to body temp.  You don't have to worry about it "cooking", as the cool inside will keep all but a thin outer layer from the higher temps.

But if you heat meat too slowly and for too long, it tends to dry out.  Also, it's easy to lose track of time, I've accidentally cooked stuff before.   
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »
I have been reading that a lot of people here seem to be thriving on less and less plant foods and more meat instead, so who knows where my diet will go.  im still experimenting with plant foods

A lot of people, myself included, do very badly indeed  on no plant-foods at all. I can tolerate VLC(very low carb) for relatively long periods, by contrast(VLC to me means no more than c. 1 to 3 raw bananas a week), but I find that I then generally lose interest in my raw animal food re taste, and my ability re exercise suffers considerably, among other issues. My own view is that anywhere between 5-15% raw carbs, by calorie, is required as an optimum (for me) but that the 35% carbs that Cordain et al promote is rather too high.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:21 am »
I have been reading that a lot of people here seem to be thriving on less and less plant foods and more meat instead, so who knows where my diet will go.  im still experimenting with plant foods

Have you tried meat, wehell20?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk