Author Topic: Epicurean Cutting Boards Made With Formaldehyde Glue!!?!  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Epicurean Cutting Boards Made With Formaldehyde Glue!!?!
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:52:47 am »
A brand new Epicurean Cutting Surface like the professionals use. Pros: According to the company, “Epicurean Cutting Surfaces® are made with eco select paper from trees harvested under guidelines of the North America Sustainable Forestry Standards. 60% of the energy used to produce the raw material is from renewable energy.” The surfaces are knife-friendly and require no maintenance. Cons: The boards are “made up of layers of paper that are then soaked with phenolic resin and cured to create a solid sheet.” Not knowing what phenolic resin was, I looked it up. According to Wikipedia, it’s a combination of phenol (a toxic, colourless crystalline solid) and formaldehyde and is what the Bakelite, the very first plastic, was made from. Well, that didn’t sound terribly green to me.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Epicurean Cutting Boards Made With Formaldehyde Glue!!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:36:36 am »
artificial resins are really nasty, but mostly when they are still wet and fumey. Resin essentially is a word like plastic or metal, it can be pretty much anything, and is pretty much as common in modern devices and so forth. fiberglass is a fairly commonly use of resin that is everywhere. I see what you mean, particular in regards to food prep, but I guess one could argue its green-er than a totally plastic surface as far as materials, and whatever other 'work'/production claims they are making. It could very well be less toxic then plastic. Lots of tabletops in chinsey restaurants are clear cheap resin (those kinds that have images/photographs underneath).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk