Author Topic: Need Tips re: smoked, salted and pickled foods for a friend  (Read 3371 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Need Tips re: smoked, salted and pickled foods for a friend
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:10 am »
"What I need to find are things that I can order over the internet that are preserved meats that are soft and tender. Like the [raw smoked prosciutto]- I'm going to order that. "melts in your mouth" - sold me. I have to find some pickled herring in a jar because she likes that. Some pate in a jar. Some raw pastrami that maybe I can cut up into itsy bitsy pieces that she can put on my non- cracker crackers."

"She will not eat sashimi, but she will eat lox. She will eat smoked, salted, pickled etc. meats because she grew up with these things but the idea of eating plain raw fish is foreign to her..."

A friend is looking for foods like these for her mother who's sick with cancer and has trouble digesting. She won't eat foods that are labeled "raw" but she will eat foods that are labeled "smoked" (even if they are cold-smoked and therefore raw).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Need Tips re: smoked, salted and pickled foods for a friend
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:21:56 am »
Hmm, there are a number of studies linking nitrosamines in smoked meats to higher rates of cancer. So smoked meats are not likely to help re curing cancer. Perhaps something that does not seem all that raw re taste, such as grassfed beef jerky(?) might be an option?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:43:11 am »
    I know your friend, well online anyway.  Her mom has pancreatic cancer.  I would think anything with the pancreas would mean she should stay away from nuts.  How about ordering Amos' chicken ceviche'?  The lemon "cooks" it.  Maybe ACV too.  I think our friend is looking for more vegetarian things or herbs.  I personally have an extremely weak pancreas.  I can't handle too much cold cooked ceviche' or much jerky at all.  Thank goodness I don't have pancreatic cancer.  Maybe her digestion is stronger than mine, or at least she wouldn't be bothered by autoimmune effects.  Would she like carpaccio maybe?  Made at home, it wouldn't have to be frozen (as in US restaurants they almost always freeze it).  I have worked closely with a number of people who had cancer.  It's hard; because they often want to return to the foods of childhood, that were unhealthy for them.  Beef tea is often good for cancer patients, but these days no one wants that.  A long cooked meat stew cooked with sinew and bone, the broth thereof can be very digestible, acceptable because cooked, etc, they usually like that.  Maybe if there's a food she won't eat that's god for her, then they could make a fun atmosphere to eat it, and that may help.  A very important thing for cancer patients is fun and enjoyable excitement.  I wonder if she'd like it if you sent her pemmican?  That's another thing I can't eat much of, but I can eat some, it's more digestible for me than meat cooked to any extent.   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:35 am »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but pemmican sounds like a good option.  Nothing else I can think of can be ordered online.

Will she undergo medical treatment?.. causes such bad anemia, maybe anything with homemade beef jerky could help.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »
    I think she's avoiding actual medical treatments of any kind as much as is prudent.  But yeah, chemo (even low dose kind) can destroy red blood cells (even in young people), and then raw steak, raw marrow and raw spleen would be in order.  It's not to smart to give an eighty-five year old chemo though.  Organ cancer is more serious than some of the others.  Also in geriatrics those cancers may tend to be more aggressive.  Does Dr Ron's have a spleen supplement? 

Maybe, if her mother could take it, some Dr Ron's supplements could be good.  Raw liver pate' tastes nice.  Cooked, I'd rather starve to death, as I feel so sick from cooked liver.  You can thicken a raw liver pate' by adding fresh ground raw meat and marrow or butter.  I wish I could go there and share some with her. It's yummy, and I love to share food.  Of course I normally eat meats plain, but delicious recipes can be fun!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:05 pm »
hey rawzi, just curious, why spleen? i've never had it. what are the benefits?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:39:15 am »
Where does one order Amos' chicken ceviche?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 11:13:00 pm »
hey rawzi, just curious, why spleen? i've never had it. what are the benefits?

If someone is getting treatment for cancer, they might become anemic, sometimes even very anemic.  I would think spleen would help with that.  I've eaten spleen.  I recommend a sharp knife and dice it in little bits.

Where does one order Amos' chicken ceviche?

Amos is an Amish farmer.  You would have to ask him for it.  It's chicken, tomatoes, avocado I think and either sour cream or mayonnaise and I think ACV.  All the ingredients are fresh made, grass-fed, organic etc. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk