Author Topic: Different FATS  (Read 3925 times)

JaX

Different FATS
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:21:27 am »
Anyone else noticed the many differences in fats on an animal?

I am not just talking about the difference of suet vs muscle fats, but all the different types of fats there are. Like how the fat from the chest of an animal is different than that from between the ribs, which is again very different from the fat located on the back of the animal.

When I order fat it's very different and random what I get. I always try to stress that I want the yellow fat (the type which melts in the mouth more easily) instead of the more white fat which is like chewing gum in consistency. However, it is only if I am lucky that I get that superior type of fat which melts easily (think of the fat on top of/in-between ribeye steaks: I am talking that consistency.

Anyone know what I should ask for when I purchase from a butcher/farm and I want to get that GOOD type of fat, not that type which is unchewable/sticks to the teeth and inside mouth.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Different FATS
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:53:31 am »
Ask for hide-fat? Hardly ever present, though, even in grassfed meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

JaX

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 07:36:59 am »
Maybe I should focus less on fat... Maybe eating the fatty cuts of meat is enough..

Do you eat suet/extra fat with every meat meal? Do you follow the 80%fat/20% protein idea of zero carbers (when you eat meat only at least).

Oh and Tyler have you heard that the vast majority of lamb/mutton/goat (even organic grassfed) are electrocuted (shocked with more than 200 Volts to the brain) to render unconscious before slaughtering? All the major slaughter houses do this, and even many small/family operated slaughters use this electric-shock equipment. The duration of the shock is short, but do you think it damages vitamins, minerals, proteins/fats, and most importantly, the fragile enzymes?
Cattle on the other hand just receive a strong physical blow to the head which kills them. Slaughter houses rarely electrify cattle unconscious because of their size.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:44:32 am »
I used to eat raw suet or raw marrow along with most of my meals involving muscle-meats. Nowadays, I'm quite happy to just eat some fatty leg of mutton or whatever on its own, but I also still eat suet and marrow.

Re zero-carb:- On the very few periods when I did raw, zero-carb it was c.80% fat/20% protein.

Re electrocution:-  Since brains are in most western countries thrown away and not allowed to be sold due to BSE regulations, it can hardly be an issue, and the voltage is anyway pretty low(now if it was 4,000 volts and applied to the rest of the body, then that would be different.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

JaX

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 03:52:25 am »
Ask for hide-fat?

Exactly on what part of the animal is "hide fat" located? Just want to know what to ask for in case the person I am ordering my meat with has no idea what "hide fat" is (which I think will be the case).

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:55:05 am »
It's the fat near the skin, which is what the hide means. It might be a relative term, like the closer you get inside the animal the more "suet" it is, and the closer to the outside the more "hide" it is. My experience is that suet is crumbly and hide fat is denser and sometimes hard to chew. Suet also sometimes has bits of organs or whatever in it.

JaX

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:13:51 am »
I think it depends from which part of the animal it's taken. If you take the fat which is just below the skin on the back of cattle; that's extremely soft and melts easily.. has a great taste.. it's yellow in color, compared to suet which is white... But there's just very little of it on grassfed cows as Tyler said (most of it they actually leave on the cuts like ribeye)

But I have occasionally received a big piece of that soft/yellow fat which I don't think could be from the back of the animal.. The problem is even though I try to specify what type of fat I want, I rarely get exactly that lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk