Author Topic: Farm Diaries  (Read 24511 times)

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Farm Diaries
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 06:15:50 pm »
Meahhhhhhhh MEAahhhhhhhhhhh MEAHHH IT KILLS ME lol

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 11:12:02 pm »
Fantastic videos.
Makes me want to send my own sons to your farm a few years from now.

So when do you make videos where you meet the farm pretty ladies?
Is there some sort of local dance?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 03:47:59 am »
Fantastic videos.
Makes me want to send my own sons to your farm a few years from now.

So when do you make videos where you meet the farm pretty ladies?
Is there some sort of local dance?

Haha, I am actually leaving this farm on the 14th of this month to go home. There was a Open House at the Knit Store with some pretty ladies. Besides that I am usually on the farm. Not many pretty ladies around haha

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 06:07:35 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m8h-tWFXaM

@achilezzz
I hate that noise the sheep make. Goats make such a charming noise. MUCH BETTER THAN SHEEP!

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:20 am »
There was a Open House at the Knit Store with some pretty ladies.
you must be all aflutter over there.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 06:50:41 am »
Dude, I am horny as a goat! ;D

I need some pootang

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 08:59:14 am »
hehe

well, I suspect the only thing you'll be balling down at the ole knit store is yarn

take a cheat day/night and head down to the local saloon  8)

ah, also word from the non-wise - females tend to be put off by above word

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:07 am »
Yep, better to try the saloon before you all go home.
Take Eric with you.
And probably a local who's a little older than you guys who knows the ropes around town.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:11 am »
yeah i was going to say, after being stuck out on a farm for a while i am sure all sorts of ladies start looking rather purty
i definitely thought about going into town and findin myself a nice cowboy
ha
male goats pee on their beards to attract mates......(i was witness to the full cycle of goat life...._

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 05:15:15 am »
Lol I will be back in the city (Milwaukee in a week). I can hold out haha

@ jessica Oh man, goats, what are the pros and cons of goats jessica?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 09:10:53 pm »
pro: they make milk and meat:  if you are having a goat for personal milk that is awesome, you can have one or two goats that will produce almost a gallon each during the milking season, however you will also have more goats at this time(the babies) which will require more care and attention, you will have to figure out what to do with if you dont want to commit to more goats.  also you cannot milk them all year long, and they dry up in a few months, so you either sell the milk you cant drink, make cheese or things like soap

you have to remember they are living beings and do require attention, its wise to determine if they are worth it for personal use (time to care for, proper shelter/range, money for feed even if its just extra hay...some goats are picky and dont eat everything, sometimes you dont have pasture...etc, possibility of disease/illness)  male goats are pretty useless, except for meat and during mating...you can choose to raise the male babies for meat, as well as the female babies unless youd can sell them or would like to keep them for another milker...if you choose to have a herd for milking as a goat milk share/for market you have to make sure you have proper time and help to dedicate to milking, proper facilities to store the milk, extra feed/nutrients for the milkers...etc.   

goats require fencing, they attract preditors such as coyote, bobcat, jaguars/cougars/mountain lions, lynx..etc...so its wise to have a dog to protect them...great pyranese are awesome farm dogs...but then again you now have a dog to take care of....although i think they are good to have around anyway(along with copious amounts of barn kittens!)

mostly its deciding what you can handle and how much time and energy you would like to put into having goats....if its only for personal use, if a small operation is worth the time and energy

i personally cannot see it worth having even one goat, unless the neighbor had a male and was willing to take the babies or something once they were done being cute(which is really like 9 months, then they are ready to make their own babies) it is just extra work and time that would not be worth it to me....i would rather raise meat chickens, turkeys and maybe even consider rabbits, and either find someone who was ranching in the area, or figure out a way to incorporate that as someone elses operation on shared land...i think that co-owning farms and working as a cooperative is the best way to provide the farm with diversity and insure that all being are well taken care of..

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 03:01:12 am »
Thanks jessica, but what you explained I already know from taking care of sheep/lambs. I deal with feeding, birthing, predetors etc. etc everday here.

I want to know more along the lines of how annoying the animal can be. The two we have here are very calm, but they were bottled weened. I want to know if they are anoying as sheep pretty much. I can't stand sheep lol

I am going to a goat dairy with the farmers. Before I leave to go home, will be interesting

Some goats are picky? These ones here eat anything. Well there diet is more close to deer (foraging), they love blackberry leaves and shoots they are everywhaer here.

What I plan on doing is getting meat goats in the future (not a dairy breed),  I feel the dairy breeds are a little to unnatural for me. Or maybe farm free range white tailed deer. I plan on selling meat and for self consumption too.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 05:59:29 am »
Or maybe farm free range white tailed deer.

white tail can easily jump over even the tallest fences.  so you can't really farm them.  i think it is better to have hunting land.  or just stick with goats.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
white tail can easily jump over even the tallest fences.  so you can't really farm them.  i think it is better to have hunting land.  or just stick with goats.
Yes you can farm them. I have been to white tail farms in Wsconsin. Elk farms too.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:46 am »
Oh, and if a few escape once in a while. They are native so it doesn't matter really :)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:42 am »
Yes you can farm them. I have been to white tail farms in Wsconsin. Elk farms too.

I thought there were U.S. government restrictions on hunting and selling wild animals.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 10:51:45 am »
I thought there were U.S. government restrictions on hunting and selling wild animals.

They're not wild if you farm them?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:22 am »
Yes you can farm them. I have been to white tail farms in Wisconsin. Elk farms too.

i did not know that.  so what are they fed?

i'm looking to buy some land in upper michigan.  it looks pretty good from satellite, almost no farms, all forest. firearm hunting season is very short, but bow hunting is long.  if i get a good land deal i'll get into bow hunting.  i think wild game is the way to go.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:20 am »
Yeah I am not sure. You can farm wild species of course. Just not animals born in the wild I guess.

There are bison, elk, deer farms etc etc everywhere.

@ys I am not sure. Just rode by it, stopped, farmer's weren't there. Grains or many other things. Like tree clippings for leaves or something. I don't know.

There are more elk farms than whitetailed deer farms in the USA I believe. Elk are deer.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:26 pm »
Most farm-raised "wild game" is fed commercial grain.  I have looked for bison, elk and deer ranches that allow the animals to get 100% of their food from grazing, and despite looking in several states around me have not yet found one.  The meat is more valuable on the market than cattle or pig, so most "wild game" ranches pack the animals in and grain feed.  Some pack the animals in so densely the "ranch" resembles an outdoor confined animal feedlot operation. 

This is particularly what an elk farm I visited when I used to live in Indiana looked like.  There were over a hundred elk in a small enclosure behind a tall fence topped with barbed wire.  They were fed grain from an automated feeder, and were so cramped that their legs were caked with a mixture of mud, urine and their own feces.  It was so horrible looking to me that I cancelled the order for a side of elk that I'd placed.  Made the owner terribly angry, but I told him I can't support a place that treats animals like that.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:53 pm »
i have met ranchers here who refuse to raise animals to "certified organic" standards because they would have to either certify their land, which is too much money, or pin there animals for the last months of their life and feed them "certified organic" feed, organic feed is EXPENSIVE, especially hay/alfalfa to feed cattle/bison....so mostly you will find legit ranchers arent certified..
there seem to be some good sources of beef, perhaps not elk bison deer etc.....here:  http://www.eatwild.com/products/vermont.html....................you can always hunt or pick up road kill deer when you see em

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55:18 am »
www.northstarbison.com

Grass Fed Bison IN Wisconsin

grass fed bison texas
http://www.slankersgrassfedmeats.com/

Grass fed bison elk in Oregon here.
www.pmrbuffalo.com

Grass fed bison is in many places