Author Topic: Taking supplements on a raw diet  (Read 2738 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Taking supplements on a raw diet
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:45:03 pm »
Hey everyone.

I'm having a little trouble taking my supplements when eating raw food. I think it's just the niacin, that's known to cause upset stomach if it's not eaten with something heavy.

I ate 8 oz of meat and a kiwi this morning, then took my usual supplements (1,000 mg niacin, 1,000 mg vitamin c, 1,000 iu vitamin d, and 50 mg b complex).

About ten minutes later, I got a really upset stomach and nausea.

I usually get upset stomach/nausea when I take my supplements without enough food, or not enough water. One time I took it with cereal and I threw up after.

I think the problem is that raw meat/fruits/veggies/nuts digest so well and so quickly that there probably wasn't very much in my stomach when I took the supplements, even though I just ate 8 oz of beef.

Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid this upset stomach/nausea?

Maybe take the supplements mid meal. Or eat suet with the meal and that'll digest slowly.

I need to find some way to take these supplements with raw foods. Any help is appreciated.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Taking supplements on a raw diet
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:31:34 pm »
Why do you take supplements? Everything we need is present in adequate amount if our choice of raw food  is sufficiently broad.

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:15:49 pm »
Why do you take supplements? Everything we need is present in adequate amount if our choice of raw food  is sufficiently broad.

I don't disagree. I'm sure a RPDiet is superior to any multivitamin out there.

But I need certain supplements, specifically niacin. And I need the b complex and vitamin c to make the niacin work right.

I've done RPD without niacin and other supplements, and within a month or two I had been hospitalized.

When I restarted the niacin, all my symptoms disappeared, even though I wasn't fully raw paleo.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:30 pm »
I would not mix meat and fruits.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »

I'll experiment eating them separately.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:34 am »

I have no problem eating drier fruits (like banana) with meat, but watery fruits like mango, etc. can sometimes cause problems.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:40 am »
I think juicy fruits lower stomach acidity levels making it harder to digest meat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk