Author Topic: The Holy Grail of Health  (Read 22392 times)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
The Holy Grail of Health
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:09:45 am »
It seems that some members of this forum (Tyler Durden/ Goodsamaritan/ Iguana and others) believe the raw-paleo diet to be the holy-grail of health. Their experience on this diet, along with that of a number of others, substantiates the idea that to obtain truly optimum health the diet must be raw.
They have many justifications as to why this is the case; avoidance of heat-created toxins, increased consumption of enzymes and reduced digestive effort, increased consumption of vitamins and minerals, optimum population of gut bacteria, reduction of putrefication in the gut, increased biophoton consumption, instinctive judgement of amounts of food……………etc.
Scientific studies confirm the previous justifications. The diet makes sense.

There are others though that believe quite the opposite. Dr Lawrence Wilson, a nutritionist who has worked with many thousands of clients over a 30-year period says that he actually finds that raw food does not help to heal the majority of people. (http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/Raw%20Food192.htm. He says, “Raw meat, fish and eggs have a subtle quality that appears to be less healthful.  I do not understand it, but that is what I observe in our clients.  So please cook meats, fish and eggs lightly.”

In the same way that I believe what Tyler/Goodsamaritan/Iguana etc are saying, I also believe that he has found this to be the case. He refers to this in terms of yin and yang, with the majority of people being more yin, and therefore need balancing with cooked yang food. 
How can people come to such drastically different conclusions? Doesn’t really make sense at all!

I was reading an article by Dr Mercola talking about eating raw food and its benefits in terms of supplying enzymes. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/21/enzymes-special-report.aspx.
So here is more evidence in favour of a raw diet. However I then read some of the comments made by people who have read the article.
The following is a comment made;

“Aiming for 75% of your diet being raw is just a bad recommendation.  Most people will not do well on a raw diet.  Chinese Medicine does not recommend a diet high in raw foods, but the Chinese do eat a lot of fermented foods.  I myself totally crashed my adrenals on a raw diet--so beware this advice.  Still dealing with health problems from eating a raw food diet for only four months--and it's two years' later”

She then goes on to say;
“ I ate a very good paleo diet for many years before I went raw.  I went on the diet gradually over a period of months/years before I increased to 80-100% raw.  My patients universally have not done well with a diet high in raw foods”

I have also recently noticed the update from Miles, who talks about not being able to digest raw meat anymore after a while on a raw-paleo diet, preferring now to eat his meat cooked. This again seems to corroborate the anti-raw conclusions mentioned above.
Why has he come up against this issue?

It seems like there are another group of individuals on the forum who feel that a raw-paleo diet is favourable over a cooked paleo diet. Some have been eating raw-paleo for a while, but have not achieved the ideal level of health they had hoped for. So these guys are kind of in the middle of the two. They believe in raw and find it useful, but they don’t believe it to be the holy-grail of health.

My first attempt at a raw-paleo diet failed, ultimately making my health worse. However my attempt was utterly flawed in many ways and there were many other reasons that may have contributed to my decline in health other than the fact I switched to a raw-paleo diet. I introduced considerable amounts of raw meat and fat, but because of my situation I was regularly bound to consume cooked meats and cooked vegetables as well. Some days I could do all raw-paleo. Most days were raw- paleo mixed with cooked paleo. I also think during my switch to partial raw-paleo I may have reduced my carbs quite a bit as well (mainly as a consequence of me struggling to combine any carbs with my raw meat/fat), which may have not been a good move in terms of my health recovery and metabolism. I also believe I may have been over-eating on raw animal fat. If I was to re-attempt raw-paleo, I would definitely attempt to eat more carbs, and less fat than during my previous efforts. Maybe I was not ready for a switch to a high fat diet?

When I attempted raw-paleo for the first time I was under the impression that it could possibly make me healthier, or at the very worst not do anything at all. Now I have been led to believe that it could possibly make me worse, as occurred during my first, ‘probably very flawed’ attempt at the diet. It is much more difficult to attempt raw-paleo for a second time following my negative first experience, and now after reading what I have. When I first attempted a switch to more raw, I thought at the very worst I would stay the same, but now I have it in my mind that it may mess me up further!

So here is my dilemma. I understand why raw is favourable over cooked. I believe all the individuals who have found an outstanding level of health through eating raw-paleo. I see the science that backs it up. I love the idea of instinctive eating. What better way to know what your body needs than to listen to its requests. 
However, I also see the warnings against raw. Some of these warnings seem somewhat specific to adrenal function. This is an area that I struggle with currently. It is also the reason that brought a raw-paleo diet to my attention in the first place, and a condition I am trying to correct through diet.

If a raw-paleo diet heals in all cases, how could the people who have found raw-paleo to not work have come to such conclusions? Perhaps they needed to give it a longer adaptation time? Seems unlikely?

What is this subtle quality that Dr Lawrence Wilson talks of? I have noticed that I get a boost from eating cooked food, which I don’t receive from raw. It is quite noticeable to me that almost immediately after eating some cooked meat I get a boost of some kind. I have eaten raw meat and fat and not felt any boost until I followed this with some cooked sweet potato. Another example of this would be as follows. I used to eat cooked salmon regularly. When I attempted a raw-paleo diet I substituted the cooked salmon for raw tuna, and again after eating the raw tuna I didn’t get the boost I got from the cooked salmon. You would have expected with the extra nutrition, iodine, enzymes, bacteria, and with the less digestive strain that I would have felt a greater boost. 
Could the heat energy administered by cooking somehow get transferred to the individual who eats the cooked food?
However, could this boost be a short-term pleasant warming of the body but with ultimately long-term negative results? I read that eating cooked food triggers the release of Dopamine in the brain. Could it be these chemicals that give the impression that something beneficial is going on? Is this the subtle quality that Dr Wilson has picked up on from his clients?

The timescale for healing on Dr Lawrence Wilson’s protocol using cooked food and supplements is long. It is basically a bit of a pain in the arse as well, with lots of cooking required and regular detox methods.
Is it long because it is not optimal for healing? A raw-paleo diet would certainly be easier to stick to, and a lot simpler.
Tyler and Goodsamaritan talk of an approximate healing timescale of 3-6 months, which is much more appealing. Even 12 months would be appealing to me. I really want to believe that it is that easy to achieve optimum health, but the negative reports I read concern me. Goodsamaritan often implies that health recovery is simple and straightforward, and he backs it up with numerous cases where he has healed people with relative ease using a raw-paleo diet. The current situation with his son is another case where he has turned round a difficult health challenge in a very short space of time. I follow him via his websites, and he seems like a very knowledgeable and genuine guy.
Could it be that a raw-paleo diet is more suited to his tropical hot climate, and is therefore more effective in these regions?

I also consider the fact that Tyler could not have got well following a cooked food diet as he was unable to digest any cooked food what so ever. Perhaps I would be in a similar situation now as well if I dropped out the digestive enzymes I currently take with every meal?

Other things I have read include a theory that it is the enzymes produced by our body that are the most important for digestion, and that the food enzymes are not so necessary. During my first attempt at raw-paleo I tried to drop out my digestive enzyme supplement thinking that they were not needed if I was eating my food raw. However I found that my digestion started to struggle once I dropped these out, so I brought them back. Is this evidence in support of the theory mentioned previously?

So now I am sitting on the fence, somewhere between raw and cooked paleo. All raw fat, lightly cooked or seared meats, and vegetables well cooked. My current diet is as follows with reasoning below;

MODERATE AMOUNTS OF RAW FAT– raw bone marrow, raw lamb/beef fat, small amounts of olive oil

It seems that nearly everyone agrees that raw fat is best, and the most damaged by cooking.

I eat only moderate amounts of fat though (100g/day ish) because I 99.99% suspect that I don’t process fat very well, large amounts giving me a sour taste in my mouth. I also 99.99% suspect, contrary to what many would say, that excessive amounts dry my skin out and aggravate my eczema somewhat.

COOKED VEGETABLES – carrot, turnip, onion, cruciferous vegetables

I try to eat relatively high carb (120g/day ish) to keep my metabolism high, and to provide me with energy as a consequence of me not being able to go high fat. I am currently opting for cooked vegetables over fruit so as to be more stabilising on my blood sugar. There seems to be a fair bit of caution over fruit from many people.

This is one of my dilemmas. If I can’t go high fat, it would seem likely that I would need to eat a fair amount of carbohydrate. Or is this the case?

LIGHTLY COOKED MEATS AND EGGS– medium rare 100% grass-fed lamb, medium rare ox heart, medium rare wild venison, medium rare wild hare

Plus cooked sardines and chicken

I eat meats and eggs lightly cooked basically to trigger the boost I talked about before.
The genius of searing meats is that they now can be combined with cooked vegetables with no obvious digestive issues, yet still getting some raw nutrition as well.

So the big question. I changed my diet to include more raw meats and it made me worse. This attempt though was flawed, as other changes at the same time may have impacted on the results of my experiment. I would not have expected the changes I made to have made me worse though.
Do I gamble on this diet again in the hope of obtaining optimum health, and risk perhaps aggravating my adrenal condition?

Currently my adrenal function and metabolism is not great. I often lack mental clarity and suffer with a racing mind. Could this be as a result of the constant cooked meat and vegetables I am eating currently? However, I never used to suffer with ’foggy thinking’ when eating cooked food in the past. I only experienced this issue for the first time after making myself worse following my partial raw-paleo diet change.

One last point. Rather than worrying about switching to raw, should I in fact be more concerned about eating so much cooked protein!!

Apologies for the length of this post.

I guess I am just interested to hear any thoughts on this situation, and whether anyone thinks they may be able to knock me off this fence for a second attempt at raw-paleo!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: The Holy Grail of Health
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:16:05 am »
One point Aajonus has made frequently is that eating cooked foods creates addictive opioids which influence the brain, some giving a fake "feel-good" factor for a time. Aajonus has also pointed out how eating cooked foods triggers a release of hormones, such as adrenalin in response, so that one feels a short-term fake "feel-good" effect from that - however, over time, the glands get dried out and malfunction as a result of repeated ingestion of cooked foods, so cooked food diets are a big mistake. In my own case, I certainly experienced those boosts during my pre-raw phases, that is until my whole glandular system became utterly shattered. Once I went rawpalaeo, my glandular system gradually healed itself. I may eat cooked foods from time to time, but, these days, they always make me feel like sh*t, sort of hungover a little.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MDee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:36:06 am »
I'd like to weigh in a little. I like a number of Dr. Wilson's points although most of his reasons not to eat raw seem much more pointed at raw plants (fiber argument, sugar, ect). My experience adds up to his evaluation of fat...I completely agree it should be raw (and my experience is also unfrozen).

I also agree that one shouldn't eat sugar (but ironically his diet is full of sugar, that is exactly what cooked starch is) Pizza, breads, pastas, potato based foods...all those meals are at least 80% sugar (and that is rounding down a lot). Cooked starchy veggies...same deal.

I like raw paleo foods and they are beneficial....but for me it was too much protein and so is a SAD. Too much protein makes me very sick....and a number of other things also.

In fact I tried to minimize protein by eating just raw egg yolks (less protein more fat) and it was better but still too much protein for my health situation.

So what I really don't get about this "dr.", he is against sugar (raw) but not in his diet that he recommends and he is very much against fermented foods, why?

Fermented foods (from raw food) has been my God send, it has been the best and so far the only real way to completely free my diet of excess protein and allowed myself to now be completely free of any sugar/starch. Healing has picked up I believe as a result.

So I don't know if any of that helps, I'm definitely pro RAF and want raw dairy brought back into the average persons diet...yet neither were the complete solution for my severe health situation.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:04:01 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:30:49 am »
The thing that I noticed was repeated several times in your post Techno was how your attempt at raw paleo was flawed and half-baked and that you thought it might be a factor.

It's difficult to evaluate the efficacy of anything when it's done in that way. For many going slowly and introducing little bits of things is often the best, but not always. You might never know if going all raw paleo will help you or not unless you try it earnestly. The only thing is that it might make you worse. It might do that short term as in detox or longer term - there's no way to know unless you try it.

You have to figure out if it's worth the risk. You have people here that say that it helped them to heal exactly what you need to heal - but you WILL find people saying that in all sorts of other diets as well. You have to figure out how to make that decision for yourself. It's always a good idea in my opinion to use your intellect, to evaluate what makes the most sense to you. But then if I were in your shoes I would ask myself to have a dream about it just before going to bed to see if your inner mind has an opinion. If I didn't have the skills to tap into my own inner knowing and body directly, then I think what I would do is have someone else muscle test foods for me. I started doing that with my husband. Before eating something I would have him put out his arm and I would test how hard it was to push it down. Then I would ask him to hold or think about the food that he wanted to eat. If he got stronger then it's the right choice, the same, then it's ok, weaker better not to eat it. For instance he wanted to buy fish to cook and I said, let's muscle test the raw tuna and salmon we have vs the cooked stuff. He was massively stronger with the raw. What is good for you one time also might not be good for you another time. Soon you just get a sense of how something is going to make you feel. It's kind of training wheels to being able to trust your own intuition and senses about such decisions.  It by-passes the conscious mind and goes directly to the subconscious/body self to ask.

So, my two suggestions would be either just go for all paleo and accept it if it does make you feel worse as a risk that was worth taking or try to find ways to find out what your body would most like eg using muscle testing and other tools.

I wish you the very best with your healing.

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:52 am »
Like several said it takes 6 mnths to get result.
In yr case I would suggest to check PaNu blog. I read a lot and from several sources I learned that people got very good result from cooked paleo... Just yesterday I read blog of one guy with Crohns disease who is now OK (with colonoscopy   confirmation) doing cooked paleo strictly for one year. Recently he re-introduced milk in big amount (after 8 mnths he starts to get some trouble from it and reduces) and even add potato without any trouble for his very serious illness. Plus you can see a lot of people in their late 80-90th who never knew about raw... and what? Thus be reasonable try and choose for yourself the best way in nutrition.  It is yr health and yr body and it is you who is responsible for everything, not any guru or doctor with their arguments (which differ from one pole to another)! Good luck and take care...

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:52:08 am »
It seems that some members of this forum (Tyler Durden/ Goodsamaritan/ Iguana and others) believe the raw-paleo diet to be the holy-grail of health. Their experience on this diet, along with that of a number of others, substantiates the idea that to obtain truly optimum health the diet must be raw.

My POV is as a healer of life or death diseases.
Raw paleo diet will work where cooked paleo diet will not even make a dent.

When the person is well, he can go cooked paleo or even SAD, I've seen that in most cases with the people I heal.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:46:30 am »
Good Samaritan - When you call yourself a healer of deadly diseases do you mean that the food allows the person to heal or that you do something else besides suggest diet changes?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »
I think it's funny how people with advanced degrees think they know better than Nature.  Just because you have a few extra letters after your name doesn't give you the authority to pronounce cooked food superior to raw.  And that's that. Neeeeeext!

Any disagreement will be seen as potential trolling. I don't deal gently with trolls, so tread lightly.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »
I think it's funny how people with advanced degrees think they know better than Nature. 

CK makes what I have found to be the ultimate point here.

What confounded me was reading conflicting advice from so many nutrition gurus. They all sounded so sure of themselves, but there was no consensus.

I'll let them fight it out among themselves, while I enjoy food that makes sense. Food that looks and tastes like food, not some denatured, recipe'd-up concoction.

Even if I'm not eating a perfect diet (whatever-the-f*** that might be), I'm not letting the gurus drive me crazy anymore. I'm a simple person, so something as naturally logical as RPD is holy-grail-ish enough for me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:05:23 pm by TylerDurden »
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 01:11:02 pm »
I'm with you Eveheart in that RPD makes simple basic sense to me too. I'm used to making up my own mind and not believing gurus. To people who are used to looking to "experts" though diet has to be one of the most confusing subject on the planet! Eating raw meat also is so different than what just about everyone you meet generally says to do that for lots of people going all out, especially if they try a little and don't feel better, might be intimidating.

It seems to me that Techno is just being open and honest about his experience and looking for help and guidance. No one can say for certain what his experience will be if he goes all the way and gives raw paleo a full trial, we can just say that for us raw meat works and give him support in giving it a real go or ideas on how to find more confidence.

I have found that when my intuition, my intellect and my heart are all lined up I feel secure in trying outrageous and new things and I figure out more easily how to approach radical changes to my life. The mind can play a big role in how we feel physically. Techno didn't seem completely behind his raw paleo experiment and still is questioning.

Techno - you gotta find a way to make up your mind and give it a real chance before you judge anything or before you can know how you as an individual will react. Fear can really get in the way. Sometimes you have to take big risks to get big rewards. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:24 pm »
Hmm, terms like "holy grail" in the thread title do suggest orthorexia, so technosmith may never be satisfied with any diet. Perfection, just like equality and many other silly human artificial creations,  simply doesn't exist in Nature.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »
Good Samaritan - When you call yourself a healer of deadly diseases do you mean that the food allows the person to heal or that you do something else besides suggest diet changes?

Food is 50% or more of the battle.
Manipulate the sick with diet.
All the variants we got here and more.
High fat - high carb
high fat - low carb
low fat - high carb
zero carb
fasting
etc. etc.
Aajonus style, Henry Bieler style, etc.

I use food as drug manipulating the sick to get well. It's safe and effective.
Plus other stuff.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »
If a raw-paleo diet heals in all cases, how could the people who have found raw-paleo to not work have come to such conclusions? Perhaps they needed to give it a longer adaptation time? Seems unlikely?

ANSWER: It is in the execution of the raw paleo diet that is key.

We can only convey so much info by typing.  We need face to face.  See me do it.  Smell this.  Touch this.  Taste this.

Why is it when I heal people they get well when I teach them hands on, or I do the food preparations?  Because I am a raw paleo dieter with a well laid out successful eating plan and marketing plan and food preparation plan.

All they need do is copy / learn from my good template, and they modify according to their individual needs.

Just like Aajonus has a template.

Just like Lex Rooker has a template.

I have newbie recipies that allow newbies to start themselves and I adjust when I see and hear results.

So if Technosmith wants to succeed at rpd, he may need face to face, tutorials with a successful fellow raw paleo dieter near him.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:37 pm »
Thanks for explanation GS. Here in the states when someone calls themselves a healer it has a different connotation. "Healer" usually means using energy transference or psychic means alone to affect the person. Diet, nutritional supplements, herbs, treatments etc. all seem to have their own "subject headings". Sometimes people have a long list of what they use to help people. It's just understanding how different people (especially in different countries) define their words. I kinda like the idea of calling someone who teaches others how to eat naturally a healer better than what we usually use here.

Techno might need a tutor - or maybe he just has to make up his mind that he thinks raw paleo will work and give it a serious and complete trial. We are still few and far between me thinks (and not all raw paleos want patients or pupils) or not everyone can fly to you in the Philippines. Learning curves are almost always shorter when you have a mentor.... but that doesn't mean that he can't just do it on his own if he can figure out how much of what to eat to make him feel his best. It's not the same obviously for everyone. What Lex eats and what Iguana eat are obviously very different, but each works quite well for that person. I'd imagine that the vast majority of people could transfer to a raw paleo diet and succeed on their own. I like that it's really quite simple, straight forward and flexible - if you have a bit of courage and are willing to take the chance. It is taking a chance - but a lot of the best things in life necessitate taking a chance.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »
Techno might need a tutor - or maybe he just has to make up his mind that he thinks raw paleo will work and give it a serious and complete trial.

Pointing out the difference between transition and trial, I find that a 100% trial is easier to evaluate than a transition period. With RPD, my first 100% trial was for 2 weeks. When I found that to be agreeable, I followed with a 1-month trial. By then, the benefit of RPD was obvious, so I gave away my pots and pans.

My "tutors" were several threads on this forum, from which I learned about buying, storing, and eating raw meat. I learned which members had advice that pertained to my commitment. I've been eating RPD for eight months now, and I think I have enough know-how and personal evidence to last for years to come. The mental bewilderment that lasted for some 40 years is gone.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 03:57:42 am »
I did read the long Technosmith post first half, and had a glance at the answers.

If some authors and researchers find that raw paleo doesn’t work and that cooking is better, there are reasons to that.

- You can’t practice a raw paleo diet successfully with standard commercial (even organic) meat and eggs or farmed fish.
- For a successful practice, you not only need a proper supply of very natural food, but also  sufficient knowledge, info and understanding of the theory.
- If some people (like Tyler) seem to be able to withstand a cooked meal once in a way without apparent troubles, many cannot and only a 100% raw nutrition will be totally successful in most cases.
- Mixing before ingestion and various food processing such as grinding (even without heating over 40° C) are likely to cause troubles.
- Conventional dietary thinking, advices and fears can also make the experience fail.
- Starting alone without any guidance from a knowledgeable, intelligent and experienced fellow is subject to so many possibilities of mistakes that it is extremely difficult to succeed in such conditions.   

In a nutshell, a raw diet including mixtures (salads, for example), improper food and without instinctive regulation is likely to be troublesome. Do it right or don't do it!

Fear can really get in the way. Sometimes you have to take big risks to get big rewards. 
Absolutely!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 11:12:25 am »
Starting alone without any guidance from a knowledgeable, intelligent and experienced fellow is subject to so many possibilities of mistakes that it is extremely difficult to succeed in such conditions.   

Just to make sure you are understood properly Iguana - I'm pretty sure that you would include getting guidance and information from the intelligent and experienced people here on the forum would you not? This place is liking have a whole team of teachers!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 11:15:55 am »
Perfection, just like equality and many other silly human artificial creations,  simply doesn't exist in Nature.
Excellent point. Perfection is indeed a human-invented concept.

By equality do you mean perfect equality, which is impossible, or sharing (including enjoying the prestige of sharing one's largess), general so-called "fairness," not striving to be well above other members of the tribe/polity and so forth?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:23:05 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »
Just to make sure you are understood properly Iguana - I'm pretty sure that you would include getting guidance and information from the intelligent and experienced people here on the forum would you not? This place is liking have a whole team of teachers!

We need to get better at it.
Maybe instructional videos.
Recorded video chats.
Smell-o-vision
Taste-o-vision

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:44 pm »
Excellent point. Perfection is indeed a human-invented concept.

By equality do you mean perfect equality, which is impossible, or sharing (including enjoying the prestige of sharing one's largess), general so-called "fairness," not striving to be well above other members of the tribe/polity and so forth?
Both, really. I don't think voluntarily sharing one's largesse comes under the notion of equality, though, only if it is involuntary.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 06:01:08 am »
Technosmith,  my suspicion is that to some degree we're all seeking the perfect diet here, or why would be bother to keep logging in, except of course to help others.  I remember when Lex went through his kidney stone affairs, he opened up for ideas.   I felt your post was incredibly precise and fair, and deserves some attention.  One problem will be, as mentioned, many of us have different approaches that will automatically seem contradictory on the whole. 
    But I would like to offer a few hopefully helpful suggestions.    I too occasionally can eat too much fat.  You can test how much fat your body is utilizing by eating it alone, or before you eat your protein.   There is a Definite stop when you have had enough.  And I also don't believe in frozen fat.  It doesn't give me the same energy as fresh.  And fresh is so much digestible than old fat that has oxidized in your fridge. You can smell and taste the difference. 
    Eating fruit with meat at least for me creates problems.  I like to eat fruit only after exercising hard, and even then it will have effects on my  blood sugar unlike eating meat and fat.   Hcl tablets can help one ease into eating meat.  I took one or two for some time and then tapered off.  I keep them around should I ever eat too much, which is another whole lesson one has to learn for oneself.   Too often there are blogs of people seemingly bragging about how much meat they eat at one sitting.  Really pay attention the stop.  Once again, eating meat and fat alone without seasoning or mixing it with other foods like avocado or salt, sauces, tomatoes,,, will teach you over and over again how to pay attention to how much your body needs at that particular time.   Also eating only when really hungry is key.      I myself don't do well eating late either,  some do,  I definitely don't.  I try to go to bed almost hungry, even if it means I wake up early and have an egg yolk and go back to sleep for a morning nap if needed.   To wake up in the morning with food undigested in your stomach is a sure way to grow weaker.    Always try to find foods you enjoy.  don't force anything,  you'll lose all sense of guidance.  That doesn't mean that you can't say eat a small piece of liver again and again to see if you get used to and start looking forward to it over time.     Don't drink much with meals, and give yourself some time after eating to relax before engaging into physical activity. 

I hope this may have helped some, and invite other members here to offer a few key points of guidance.   
  It can all become overwhelming at times, I know,  just as anything can if we indulge too much with our minds.  Good luck.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:10 am »
Both, really. I don't think voluntarily sharing one's largesse comes under the notion of equality, though, only if it is involuntary.
How would involuntary sharing be evidence of a cultural norm or ethic of equality? Wouldn't it be evidence more of an ethic of theft or of government-knows-best, particularly if enforced by a remote centralized gov't?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:54 am »
How would involuntary sharing be evidence of a cultural norm or ethic of equality? Wouldn't it be evidence more of an ethic of theft or of government-knows-best, particularly if enforced by a remote centralized gov't?
  The point is that voluntary sharing would be to enhance the survival of one's offspring or close relative or friend. That has nothing  to do with equality per se. By contrast, enforced equality would mean the involuntary sharing of assets among the whole community etc. I simply don't believe that any real kind of equality can be executed without force, as equality is simply not part of human nature(or Nature in general).
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:07 am »
By contrast, enforced equality would mean the involuntary sharing of assets among the whole community etc. I simply don't believe that any real kind of equality can be executed without force, as equality is simply not part of human nature(or Nature in general).
I don't find that convincing that forced sharing is a true egalitarian cultural norm/ethic and I don't understand why American liberals (which generally means in favor of fairly big gov't but not Marxism in this country) and Marxists seem to see it that way (and it's something that I have debated with them over). I see that as more authoritarian or totalitarian than egalitarian. Granted, that could be due to my rare libertarian-leaning bias (with Talebian/Socratic aspects), which some liberals and even conservatives scold me about as being crazy, just like they try to paint Ron Paul and other libertarians as kooks (and I actually don't mind being painted as eccentric in a world gone mad). Please explain to me how sharing at the point of a gun is evidence of a norm/ethic of equality. You have claimed to have libertarian leanings yourself at times, so surely you don't buy into this liberal or Marxist concept, do you?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:27:37 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 08:32:13 am »
I don't find that convincing that forced sharing is a true egalitarian cultural norm/ethic and I don't understand why American liberals (which generally means in favor of fairly big gov't but not Marxism in this country) and Marxists seem to see it that way (and it's something that I have debated with them over). I see that as more authoritarian or totalitarian than egalitarian. Granted, that could be due to my rare libertarian-leaning bias, which some liberals and even conservatives scold me about as being crazy, just like they try to paint Ron Paul and other libertarians as kooks (and I actually don't mind being painted as eccentric in a world gone mad). Please explain to me how sharing at the point of a gun is evidence of a norm/ethic of equality. You have claimed to have libertarian leanings yourself at times, so surely you don't buy into this liberal or Marxist concept, do you?
The whole point of libertarianism is that any individual should do whatever they f*cking want to do. That's what I espouse. Equality cannot really be enforced, except by force and then only inefficiently, as equality is against all human nature. The whole point of Liberalism is the idiotic idea that individuals are fools and therefore "need" to be forced, via further extensive, stupid  laws, to behave in wholly unnatural ways so as to become "equal".
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk