Author Topic: Bronze Silver Gold  (Read 6545 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Bronze Silver Gold
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:43:17 pm »
It seems like issues of optimal / not optimal come up alot on this forum.

between fresh or frozen can be more complicated if the frozen is grass feed etc..

Sometimes it is hard to decide which is best for what situation.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have a question on fertilized eggs that don't carry any of the badges of 'free range' or 'organic' business.

My thoughts are that the fertile chickens probably have freedoms to graze and I guess the rest  is unspecified is non-organic grains.

But getting good fertile eggs non-organic seems to be better than your general organic egg fed the same grain and non fertile

right?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:55:18 pm by KD »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Bronze Silver Gold
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:27 pm »
    The organic label can pretty much tend to be bs in my opinion.  I get eggs from two places recently.  One is a farm I visit regularly where the chickens do whatever they want and are beautiful.  The other is a CoOp of biodynamic farmers.  Neither of my two recent sources carry the organic certification, to the best of my knowledge that is.  They are far superior in taste and touch quality to the occasional other eggs I get which ARE labeled organic but are from healthfood stores generally but even the occasional supermarket.  Get the best you can get.  Words are meant to be lies.  Use your senses more and more as you get through this.  Senses are made to tell us more about the realities around us.  I could be wrong.  In my experience this is what I've learned holds true.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:20 am »
Yeah, I've been to some farms that are doing things beyond organic and don't have organic certification.

I agree with organic labeling esp with eggs to be no sign of quality, but in a sense, I would be doing exactly the same with the 'fertile' label which is also from a store (not farm).

also, these eggs I'm thinking of are sold in a market that has no regulations of hormones etc.. like Whole Foods. So while eggs I get from whole foods might be 100% organic grain feed and might not even be free-range, at least I know there is no hormones.

my assumption is mainly that the hens are spending time with the rooster, and therefore probably outside eating some bugs and such as well, but perhaps this is not the case

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:56:36 am »
RawZi is 100% correct. Labels are often meaningless as some farmers follow 100% the correct guidelines but can't afford to officially convert to organic, while others have plenty of money to convert to organic status, yet insist on bog-standard quality and feed their fowl on grains etc., because they feel they can get away with it due to profit-margins and a gullible public. This is why I constantly rail against large producers, however organic or 100%grassfed they may be.Only small-time producers/farmers care enough about their customers re quality and value for money.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:22 am »
right, but here I am compareing two things, not the ideals of pastured fertile eggs bought from a small farm.

1.) store bought labeled organic eggs fed self proclaimed diet of organic grains and questionable amount of "free range"

2.) fertile labeled eggs (stamped on a non-descript recycled carton) with otherwise no marking from a non-regulated store. opening up the possibility that may be from chickens laced with hormones in addition to non-organic feed.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:09:23 am »
I'd chose the fertilized eggs in a heartbeat.
Frankly, who outside of a select group would find fertilized eggs appealing as a food? There's not the same market for them as there is for "organic" eggs. It's not a fancy marketing term yet.  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:27:08 pm »
...My thoughts are that the fertile chickens probably have freedoms to graze and I guess the rest  is unspecified is non-organic grains.

But getting good fertile eggs non-organic seems to be better than your general organic egg fed the same grain and non fertile

right?

That's my hunch, yes. It's only a hunch, but I also think they'd be too afraid of Tyler coming after them to engage in super-unhealthy practices. :D Plus, the idiocy of slogans like "eggs from 100% vegetarian-fed chickens" on corporate egg cartons really turns me off. For Pete's sake, chickens are not naturally vegetarians! I don't trust companies that rely on the ignorance of their customers.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »
Oh man they do the same with pigs Phil... It's bonkers. '100% Vegetarian'(100% Grain).
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »
Oh man they do the same with pigs Phil... It's bonkers. '100% Vegetarian'(100% Grain).
100% grain as "vegetarian" reminds me of how confusing that term is. What does "vegetarian" mean anyway? Does it mean "eats vegetation"? If so, that makes it sound like vegetarian humans can get by just as well on grass and leaves as fruits and vegetables. If not, then does it mean "eats vegetables"? But if that's the case, then where does that leave fruits, nuts and seeds? And how do we account for the "vegetarians" that eat eggs, dairy, fish, insects and honey? Since when are those vegetation or vegetables? Wikipedia reports that

<<The Vegetarian Society, founded in 1847, claims to have "created the word vegetarian from the Latin 'vegetus' meaning 'lively' (which is how these early vegetarians claimed their diet made them feel) .It's such a vague term.>>

If that's the case, then I'm a vegetarian because raw meat and fat makes me feel lively. Vegetarian is such a vague term.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:08 pm »
I think there is a human birth-name 'Vegeta'. It seems unlikely that many people would name their child 'vegetable', lively would be more likely there =)
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:18:36 am »
Yup, and I've learned that I'm a carnivorous vegetarian!  ??? :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk