Author Topic: ARMY + ZERO CARB/RAW PALEO  (Read 6179 times)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
ARMY + ZERO CARB/RAW PALEO
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:12:50 pm »
ARMY + ZERO CARB
Hi,

I was think about joining the british army.

I think i might have to abandon zero-carbing/raw paleoing because it would surely be impossible.

If anyone has an experience or thoughts that would be most useful.

Right now it is the only thing holding me back.

thanks.

David

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: ARMY + ZERO CARB/RAW PALEO
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:03:17 am »
I can't speak for the British Army, but I was in the U.S. Marines from 1997 to 2001.

It will be absolutely impossible to eat zero-carb or raw paleo. You will be eating highly processed and very well-cooked meals all the time. We actually had pretty good food as far as the standard western diet goes. If you're young it's not going to kill you to eat that stuff for a couple of years.

You'll also be exposed to several vaccines that you otherwise wouldn't. You don't have a choice in taking them. We had a guy get court-martialed for refusing to take the anthrax vaccine.   

You'll also be working with chemicals and solvents used to maintain weapons, vehicles, living quarters, etc.

I would definitely talk to some British Army guys and get as much information as you can.

Looking back, I'm glad I did it because I wasn't ready for college right away, and it made me appreciate my freedom more. I'm glad I got out after my four years was up though.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:14:28 am »
Rob,
I just sent David a PM attempting to say what you put so eloquently.  I was in the Army for 4 years in the early 70s just as Vietnam was winding down.  I didn't have to go, but my change in attitude and for the first time having to understand that the whole world didn't revolve around me was well worth the committment.  I would have been far less successful in my life if I hadn't had the military experince. 

When hiring new people at work, if I had a choice I almost always opted for x-military as they seldom complained about the little stuff that didn't really matter, and they also seemed to understand that a group works best and their personal value was greatest when they were sharing information with all their coworkers.  They also don't think the world owes them a living and understand that they must earn promotions as well as selfesteem.

Lex

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 01:29:55 pm »
Right on Lex,

It has definitely made me more successful. My current boss hired me more for the fact that I was a Marine than the fact that I had just graduated college.

It was really good for me to get out of my home town and see the world, and meet people from all over the country.

Whenever I think I'm having a rough day, I think back to my rough days in the military and it makes me laugh.

Rob

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:48 pm »
I think warrior is an honorable occupation, but I would only become a Lakota warrior myself, because I think they might feed me pemmican ;), whereas the rations in the armies of the UK and US would make me sick -v and I would be unable to contribute. If they had pemmican as a ration, then I might be able to make a contribution.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:10:50 am »
One point that comes to mind is that you'll probably be doing so much exercise that it will protect you to some extent from the effects of the carbs.

You might sometimes be able to buy your own olive oil, coconut milk or sardine tins to supplement your diet with healthy(ish) fats. I think they're better than nothing.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 03:50:21 am »
Who knows, maybe you could make a ton of pemmican and bring it with you.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:21:11 am »
Who knows, maybe you could make a ton of pemmican and bring it with you.
If British troops are only allowed to keep foot lockers like the US troops, then there won't be enough room for a lot of pemmican.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk