Author Topic: Eating Roadkill...  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Eating Roadkill...
« on: October 07, 2009, 07:59:59 am »
I was wondering if anybody here eats roadkill and if you eat it raw?
I know that there should be no 'super scary parasites' in meat you purchase but what about eating a fresh (or not so fresh) roadkilled racoon or bear?
That's not paleo.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Eating Roadkill...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:07:53 am »
Well first off I've never butchered an animal so would probably have trouble with that, both technically and emotionally/mentally. However, if I had the expertise and temperament to do so, and found a dead bear or deer on the road that appeared at least mildly fresh (a day or two since death, maybe you could tell by smell, appearance, lack of vultures yet) I would probably try it. There's a lot of food on those animals and even if some parts are dirty from the road or have bugs in them, you could probably cut into some good stuff deeper in.

Also, I would LOVE to have a bear skin cloak/robe, like this cartoon character has with wolfskin:

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:45:36 am »
this guy's blog is great. if you scroll down on the page there is a 'ROADKILL' section and he describes how he goes about it. he also eats some of it raw.

http://goingferal.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/honoring-the-bodies-of-animals/

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:29:17 pm »
Good link, I'll post it.

As far as wild animals are concerned, I routinely eat raw wild game that's been recently shot by hunters, without parasite issues. I still find shotgun pellets in the corpse when I start eating it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »
    What materials would the pellets be made of?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:16 pm »
 A body of mine constantly set up traps in his backyard because of the raccoon. I said jokingly that he should eat them. He said he would, but is afraid of the rabies. He admitted to catching some groundhogs & eating them.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:09:48 am »
Herbivores I dont have much of an issue with since i eat them all the time. Im more wondering about eating omnivorous and carnivorous animals like raccoons.. Can you 'eat' rabies? haha  or trichinosis in wild animals (im not scared to eat pork raw anymore haha)
That's not paleo.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:21:41 am »
    Just like pigs, chickens are omnivores, as well as turkeys.  I think with raccoon, as long as you don't eat the skin, organs, glands, fat and marrow, you should be ok.  I haven't tried roadkill.  I haven't seen any decent roadkill either.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 04:34:06 pm »
    What materials would the pellets be made of?

Seemed like very hard grey ferrous material to me. Do they use steel pellets in shotguns?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 06:59:32 pm »
Good link, I'll post it.

As far as wild animals are concerned, I routinely eat raw wild game that's been recently shot by hunters, without parasite issues. I still find shotgun pellets in the corpse when I start eating it.

wow that's pretty nice. It still has the pellet in it?! Do you get like the entire animal before it's butchered?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »
Seemed like very hard grey ferrous material to me. Do they use steel pellets in shotguns?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_shot
Depending on where you are hunting it could either lead or more expensive but environmentally friendly alternatives such as steel shot.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »
wow that's pretty nice. It still has the pellet in it?! Do you get like the entire animal before it's butchered?

Not quite. The head and the fur get cut off before sale, but the bloody remains, including organs, are left.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 05:04:01 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_shot
Depending on where you are hunting it could either lead or more expensive but environmentally friendly alternatives such as steel shot.

I don't see how it could be lead as it would be illegal to keep lead in food sold for human consumption. They would be forced to dig it out. I'll ask, though, just in case.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 02:27:40 am »
Found some more info

http://www.urbanscout.org/blog/site

http://www.rewild.info/conversations/ Message board with some tips on things to do with road kill/traps

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 02:48:50 am »
Found some more info

http://www.urbanscout.org/blog/site

http://www.rewild.info/conversations/ Message board with some tips on things to do with road kill/traps

yep, both are really good sites. lots of info if you're into rewilding and primitivism

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk