Author Topic: Making raw cheese  (Read 5421 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Making raw cheese
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:07:47 am »
Does anyone know how to make raw cheese? What about ingredients? Is rennet bad news?

I make lots of other things and so it should not be problematic.
Cheers
Al

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Making raw cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:32 pm »
A simple Google search will give lots of hits.  To make a some what simple cheese let raw milk sit out till it curdles and strain off the curds with a cheese cloth

Offline PrimalLadyRosy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Primal Diet Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 06:55:20 pm »
I'm sure you could let raw grassfed milk curdle at room temperature, then strain it with cheesecloth then press and cut the cheese to the sizes you like.  That milk already has enzymes in it, so adding rennet may not ne necessary.

I have a recipe, but it's a friend's so I'll pm it to you.

There are other cultures you may be able to make a cheese with, like piima and viili.

http://onibasu.com/archives/km/5097.html

Do you want to make a hard cheese, soft cheese, what kind?  There are different cultures to add depending on which, right?  So that's important to know. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ocnaRViDY

Kefir making video (one way as there are other ways as valid or more or less so).
I am the creator of the primal diet friends social networking site, thanks to Jim and Barbara Ellingson's suggestion.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:36:17 am »
This is how I used to make a raw yogurt, really good!  Then I'd mix a little with some Indian spices and use it as a sauce for raw meat.  I loved this, but my health seems better without dairy.

Offline sanborn

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:44:18 pm »
My wife puts out 4 quarts of Claravale at a time for a few days, keeping them from getting too cold by placing warm water filled quart bottles in between (and wrapping the whole bunch in a towel when the air is too cool).  Then after a few days, she separates the sour cream and drains the whey and has cottage cheese.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:53:48 am »
My wife puts out 4 quarts of Claravale at a time for a few days, k
What's Claravale?
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 05:55:16 am »
What's Claravale?

I think it's grainfed raw milk from California that's really delicious.  It cultures well too.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk