Author Topic: Brix and health  (Read 41707 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Brix and health
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 05:33:27 am »
I rarely eat tomatoes, and then only the very small tomatoes, since they generally are higher Brix.  As for lemons and limes, who eats those?
I don't like tomatoes, but I make fresh lemonade by squeezing fresh organic lemons into water. I use it instead of the HCL tablets that others have recommended to improve digestion. I figure it's more natural and closer to raw Paleo and I also like the taste. Instead of replacing my low HCL with processed HCL tablets, and thus possibly inhibiting my body even further from producing HCL, I instead use lemon juice and sometimes unheated coarse natural sea salt (salt is used by the body in producing HCL). Lemon juice is not purist, completely unprocessed, raw Paleo, but it's less artificial than HCL tablets, it was prescribed by my naturopath, and I like it, so I went with it, even though I'm skeptical of naturopaths' recommendations (but even more skeptical of allopaths' recommendations, based on personal experience and reading about others' experiences and scientific research on the abysmal quality of modern medicine).

So, in general, people tend to gravitate toward the higher-Brix types of fruits for eating fresh and raw. I think that's natural and sensible.The key is to not accept the lower-Brix ones, and buy only the higher-Brix ones.
OK, so you determine which foods to buy based on Brix and presumably you also determine which sources to use based on testing several foods from each source, yes?

Once you determine which foods to buy and which sources to use, wouldn't the highest Brix fruits/veggies also tend to taste the best, so one could simply use one's taste preference (and overall Instincto alliesthetic senses) to determine what to buy? Wouldn't this Instincto method also be a decent stand-in technique for those of us who don't plan to buy a Brix device?

If you buy a fruit/veg and then it tests lower than 12 Brix, do you throw it out or compost it or what?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:46 am »
I don't like tomatoes, but I make fresh lemonade by squeezing fresh organic lemons into water. I use it instead of the HCL tablets that others have recommended to improve digestion. I figure it's more natural and closer to raw Paleo and I also like the taste. Instead of replacing my low HCL with processed HCL tablets, and thus possibly inhibiting my body even further from producing HCL, I instead use lemon juice and sometimes unheated coarse natural sea salt (salt is used by the body in producing HCL). Lemon juice is not purist, completely unprocessed, raw Paleo, but it's less artificial than HCL tablets, it was prescribed by my naturopath, and I like it, so I went with it, even though I'm skeptical of naturopaths' recommendations (but even more skeptical of allopaths' recommendations, based on personal experience and reading about others' experiences and scientific research on the abysmal quality of modern medicine).
OK, so you determine which foods to buy based on Brix and presumably you also determine which sources to use based on testing several foods from each source, yes?

Once you determine which foods to buy and which sources to use, wouldn't the highest Brix fruits/veggies also tend to taste the best, so one could simply use one's taste preference (and overall Instincto alliesthetic senses) to determine what to buy? Wouldn't this Instincto method also be a decent stand-in technique for those of us who don't plan to buy a Brix device?

If you buy a fruit/veg and then it tests lower than 12 Brix, do you throw it out or compost it or what?

It's possible to find high-Brix lemons, it just takes a little work.  I've seen lemons wedges in restaurants that sunk to the bottom of my water glass, they were so high in minerals. It's rare, though.

You're right, it's definitely possible to do it just by taste after you gain some skill, but, to some degree, you have to learn the skill separately for each fruit species. At least, that's been my experience. 

If I buy a piece of fruit under 12 Brix, I do usually throw it out, unless it happens to taste really good for a 12 Brix fruit. That's very rare.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 09:39:55 am »
All the fruit/berries I buy taste excellent, so I guess that's a good sign then.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline rusella

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 07:19:02 pm »
Hello Guys!
 I am newbie here recently join this community..............................How can i prepare 1l of 50 brix sucrose solution?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 07:28:20 am »
Hello Guys!
 I am newbie here recently join this community..............................How can i prepare 1l of 50 brix sucrose solution?

We don't deal with sucrose here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk