Author Topic: Major Food Poisoning in Singapore involving Raw Seafood  (Read 3093 times)

Offline vernon

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Major Food Poisoning in Singapore involving Raw Seafood
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:40:56 am »
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/08/content_11150977.htm

I was shocked when i heard of that. Experts in Spore said that bacteria Vibrio parahaemolyticus is the cause of this outbreak and this bacteria is mainly found in raw seafood. I am not doubting the benefits of eating raw. But how safe is raw seafood?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Major Food Poisoning in Singapore involving Raw Seafood
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:59:37 am »
Just browsed the article. Claimed second victim. So that's...what two victims from raw seafood? This, comparatively, is already several times less victims than recent outbreaks of food poisoning from cooked foods like peanuts and pistachios. If you're scared of raw food, enough to let one article question eating it, than I would stay away from it. I'm on this diet with no fear as I've eaten just about every kind of meat I could raw and never had a problem. Not only that, I don't get sick with the common cold or the flu anymore either, not since becoming a raw foodist.

Can you get food poisoning from raw seafood? Sure. Can you get it from cooked seafood? Sure. Can you get it from any raw or cooked food? Yes. Can you live without eating? No.

JaX

Re: Major Food Poisoning in Singapore involving Raw Seafood
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »
I've eaten so many different types of raw fish I don't even remember what half were called. I've eaten both fresh and pre-frozen/thawed. I even found out, after checking some internet articles, that most of them are NOT sushi/sashimi safe fish (since only a few fish are anyway). Never had any symptoms of infection/bacteria/parasite.

Keep in mind that the article doesn't mention the overall health of the people who got infected.

Someone in excellent health with a great immune system would probably be able to eat peanut butter from the US salmonella outbreak and have no problems. Remember what Louis Pasteur admitted on his deathbed: it's not the germ, it's the territory.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk