Author Topic: Eating clay can lead to anemia as well as parasites.  (Read 2692 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Eating clay can lead to anemia as well as parasites.
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:41 am »
I was just looking up for some info in an Ayurvedic text when I noticed it said:
"Eating clay can lead to anemia as well as parasites. Iron deficiency anemia leads to eating clay, which can cause anemia (cause becomes affect)"

The book is "Textbook Of Ayurveda, A Complete" Guide To Clinical Assessment" Vasant Lad M.A.Sc. Volume 2

I read of PPL on here that do this, so I thought I would mention it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Eating clay can lead to anemia as well as parasites.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:57:31 pm »
Does the text elaborate on the connection between consuming clay and parasites? From a quick google-search I see a lot of info about people using clay to eliminate parasitic infection, which is what I assumed it might be good for (starving parasites of nutrients).

As you know, Ayurvedic medicine is ancient and I think in that time people were likely to gather their own clay and eat it. Top soil and other moist, nutrient-dense earth eaten along with the clay can contain opportunistic parasites that the text may be referring to.

Offline snowfox

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:06 pm »
Food-grade diatomaceous earth is fed to livestock to prevent and/or kill parasites. It also works in humans.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:22 pm »
diatomaceous earth isn't clay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk