Author Topic: So in this video a cow eats a baby chicken. Have any farm dwellers seen this b4?  (Read 2837 times)

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
I guess if its shorter than the grass and doesn't run away its fair game. >D Cows don't actually digest plants, they store bacteria that eat the grass, then they digest the huge bacterial loads, which is just like digesting meat. This was probably a learned behavior from watching the herding dogs.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I haven't seen it first hand, but it's easy to find references to grazing animals (cows, horses, deer, elk, caribou, moose, etc.) eating small animals, especially baby birds and less frequently live fish. Our notions that these animals are obligate herbivores is false; very few animals follow any extreme diet, with perhaps the exception of giant pandas that only eat bamboo and koalas that only eat eucalyptus leaves.

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
It's hard to tell for sure from the video, but like you say the cow may have seen other animals eating chicks or may have been egged on a bit.

Has anyone who's lived with cows seen them seeking out grubs or eating meat opportunistically?

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Maybe it's just me, but we thought the cow looked a bit skinny. It almost seemed desperate to just eat something - though I don't see why the grass wasn't appealing. The quality is a little poor, but maybe the grass was dry and unappealing.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I figure the cow was starving.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
The chick was tied down.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk