Author Topic: free range black pig  (Read 3388 times)

Offline luis

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
free range black pig
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:48:48 am »
In my country, Portugal, we have an old breed of pig called the black pig. This pig is raised and grows all its life in the open country, eating only natural foods like herbs and acorns from the oak tree.
The meat from this black pig is complettely diferent from the regular ones. It has this natural fat stripes and the taste is really outstanding. I have only eaten cooked so far.

Do you think that it would be safe to try this black pig raw? I have to confess that I am worried about parasites. But the truth is that I am getting bored with beef and want to try some different meat.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: free range black pig
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:01:47 am »
    I would try it.  It must be healthier than beef.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:12:43 am »
I have to confess that I am worried about parasites.
If you're worried go to the vet so he will check if the meat hasn't got parasites, particularly trichinella
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:12 am »
If you're worried go to the vet so he will check if the meat hasn't got parasites, particularly trichinella

A vet will check dead sectioned meat for parasites? or are you talking about bringing the pig?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:27:47 am »
Look, the whole parasite issue is ridiculously overblown. I've only ever come across 1 or 2 reported genuine instances within the manytens of thousands within the RVAF diet community, and both of those cases involved going to tropical countries and eating some dodgy meat there. Even then, they reported no side-effects, just parasites being passed into their stools as they went to the toilet.

In my own case, I've eaten raw wild game very frequently and never had a parasitic episode or any bad reactions therefrom.

So go for that raw black pig
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline luis

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:09:46 am »
Thanks for the advice. I will try it and will let you know how it tasted.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:32:39 am »
A vet will check dead sectioned meat for parasites?

A vet who so nearly killed my cat, his main job was checking cut meat for selling to eat for food-borne pathogens it may contain or harbor.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk