Author Topic: Marinating fish  (Read 6810 times)

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Marinating fish
« on: July 17, 2010, 05:13:31 am »
Hi,

I like to eat fish, especially sardins at the moment because they are very fat and good for blood type O and also not so expensive. But they do not keep very long in the fridge so I thought it would be good to make my own oil sardins.
The recipe says that you have to soak  them first in lemon or vinegar for some hours and than to cover it with olive oil.
After this preperation are the sardins still considert natural or is the acid and the olive oil somehow harmfull to the protein.
Is there any other way to conserve fatty fish. Drying is not an option I think because of the fat oxidation.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Marinating fish
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:25:14 pm »
Use raw apple cider vinegar, raw lemon juice of course. I wouldn't call such natural, and the protein does get denatured a little(though not as badly as with cooking), so it's an option. However I would advise against eating a diet too high in raw seafood(anything above 80% of your particular raw-animal food intake), given my own experiences.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:50:25 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:05:54 am »
Hi Tyler,

why do you advise against too much sea food .I have some circulation problems and with the raw paleo meat and fat eating it got worse.I thought fish would be a good option because it is lighter and thins the blood
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:57:37 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:47:00 am »
However I would advise against eating a diet too high in raw seafood(anything above 80% of your particular raw-animal food intake), given my own experiences.

That's surprising to hear Tyler.  I thought you ate large volumes of seafood?!  Although, the 80% you quoted could be considered most extensive of course!   :)  Out of interest, along with noel, I'd be interested to know why you think this and what your negative experiences were?

Certainly, I do not personally find raw seafood at all satisfying and am usually MORE hungry an hour or so after eating it than I was in the first place!  I also doubt it's validity as a paleo food consumed in any great quantity pre-civilisation besides regions and natives - such as the inuit - whose environment allowed or enforced it.

Following my own numerous bad experiences with raw seafood I eat it rarely and only after marinating.  Tyler probably won't agree with this but I believe I've been a victim of a series of vicious seafood parasites which have made me violently ill.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky or sourced poor quality fish/seafood.  Whichever, it's certainly created a fear of raw fish/seafood for me.  In 10 years of eating raw meats I've never had a similar problem and have never frozen or marinated my meats.

Noel, I would second Tyler's recommendations on marinating.  For many years, I have marinated my fish overnight in freshly squeezed organic lemon juice.  Unfortunately, this can prove a rather expensive hobby due to the high price of lemons (here in the UK at least).  As Tyler stated, it does denature the protein but one's digestive system also does this so, perhaps, it may even be considered a form of pre-digesting.  I would, however, also recommend that you persist with meat & fat as it will be the best longer-term source of sustenance and healing for you.  Perhaps the circulation problems are aggravated by something else?  There is, of course, a whole myriad of things which could cause and/or aggravate this.  Is the meat/fat you're eating high quality grass-fed and grass-finished?

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »
Hi Tyler,

why do you advise against to mutch sea food .I have some circulation problems and with the raw paleo meat and fat eating it got worse.I thought fish would be a good option because it is lighter and thinnes the blood
I once tried a 100% raw seafood diet, and then a 100% (raw seafood-combined with raw plant food) diet. I just did not seem to thrive on such a dietary combination and felt weaker as a result, over time. Lots of raw seafood is fine, the 80%+ figure of mine is just a guess, based on my past experience.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:44:43 pm »
That's surprising to hear Tyler.  I thought you ate large volumes of seafood?!  Although, the 80% you quoted could be considered most extensive of course!   :)  Out of interest, along with noel, I'd be interested to know why you think this and what your negative experiences were?
As mentioned above I had nasty experiences with too much raw seafood(just general feeling of weakness/malaise, and changed my diet before it got steadily worse). But I do find that 10-40%(of my raw animal food intake) as raw seafood is certainly better than no raw seafood at all.
Certainly, I do not personally find raw seafood at all satisfying and am usually MORE hungry an hour or so after eating it than I was in the first place!  I also doubt it's validity as a paleo food consumed in any great quantity pre-civilisation besides regions and natives - such as the inuit - whose environment allowed or enforced it.

Following my own numerous bad experiences with raw seafood I eat it rarely and only after marinating.  Tyler probably won't agree with this but I believe I've been a victim of a series of vicious seafood parasites which have made me violently ill.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky or sourced poor quality fish/seafood.  Whichever, it's certainly created a fear of raw fish/seafood for me.  In 10 years of eating raw meats I've never had a similar problem and have never frozen or marinated my meats.

Noel, I would second Tyler's recommendations on marinating.  For many years, I have marinated my fish overnight in freshly squeezed organic lemon juice.  Unfortunately, this can prove a rather expensive hobby due to the high price of lemons (here in the UK at least).  As Tyler stated, it does denature the protein but one's digestive system also does this so, perhaps, it may even be considered a form of pre-digesting.  I would, however, also recommend that you persist with meat & fat as it will be the best longer-term source of sustenance and healing for you.  Perhaps the circulation problems are aggravated by something else?  There is, of course, a whole myriad of things which could cause and/or aggravate this.  Is the meat/fat you're eating high quality grass-fed and grass-finished?

I avoid marinating whenever possible but don't view it as being anywhere near as harmful as cooking/processing in general.

As for parasites, I would imagine that raw shellfish is less affected re this problem, anyway.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:14:25 am »

Does anyone marinate fish/meat here? How long and where should it be left to marinate?

By the way, the AV recipes book mentions this: "like the digestive acids in our bodies, citrus juices partially break down the components for proper digestion but they do not mutilate or destroy the nutrients, like in the case of coking".

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:07:46 am »
Marinate it as long as you like.  The smaller the pieces you chop it up into, the faster the marinating action occurs, because the meat/fish has more surface area for the marinade to act on.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 06:13:46 am »
I like dipping sauces. I tried marinating and it sort of makes the flesh like cardboard. If you want to have a change in flavor you might like dipping more. Ground mustard seed, salt, avocado, and egg are nice. I substitute horseradish in place of the mustard at times, or wasabi with lemon and ginger for fish wrapped up in nori with cucumber and carrot. As far as parasites go I get the highest quality grass fed or wild meat of there was a question of parasites I think freezing would be more effective.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:44 am »
Does anyone marinate fish/meat here? How long and where should it be left to marinate?

By the way, the AV recipes book mentions this: "like the digestive acids in our bodies, citrus juices partially break down the components for proper digestion but they do not mutilate or destroy the nutrients, like in the case of coking".

I loves me ceviche!!!!!  Sauce for the sashimi - also yum. :D

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:15:23 am »

Michael returns!! Its been a while since you have posted. Are you still using the same email address you used previously for personal messaging as I would like to ask you a question (we have spoken in the past if you remember)?

Thanks,

Phil
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:04:03 pm by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk