Author Topic: Question re dehydrated raw meat  (Read 2457 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Question re dehydrated raw meat
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:31 am »
I wanted to ask how much the meat has to be dehydrated for it not to rot? If all the water-content has to go, then the resulting stuff is so dry and tough I have to chew it for ages. I suppose I could add some raw liquid fat on the stuff to moisten it as I think that would not lead to the dried meat aging.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Question re dehydrated raw meat
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:19:09 am »
How thick are the slices?  In the past I have had more problem with outside molds forming on the meat that was not sufficiently dry when storing.  I don't think any of it has ever rotted, but it tends to get eaten up within a fortnight.  I slice it pretty thin so that if it does get really dry, it is not too hard on the teeth and jaws.

Offline ciervo-chaman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:44:31 am »
have you tried rehidrating with water first? i have never done that.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »
have you tried rehidrating with water first? i have never done that.
Hmmm, I am planning on going into the French Alps  to hike there, and there are numerous mountain lakes and streams there. I will experiment here in a few days or so to see if rehydration is quick enough.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:15 am »
Ive air dried fatty meats at room temp with just a fan blowing on it and they have been just fine. The fat does seem to keep things tender, but if you try to put it in a container for long term storage the fat will become sour....but if you are only going for a few days, keeping semi dehydrated fatty meat in a small cooler would feed you for short trips.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk