Author Topic: Orthokeratology foul-up  (Read 1399 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Orthokeratology foul-up
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:40:18 pm »
I mentioned a while back that I would try orthokeratology (nightwearing) contact-lenses since an RPD diet cannot solve all health-problems. Well, I had a go, it was a disaster. I found it extremely difficult to insert the lenses, at one point, at home, I lost both lenses within 10 minutes of each other and spent a half hour finding them(they cost 100s of euros and I was not insured). In the end I just gave up. There was no way I would waste an hour or more a day in inserting the lenses and taking them off.

The only interesting aspect of it all was that I found that my myopia was less(c.-1.5) than it was at the age of 30 when I started this diet(-2.5 in each eye at the time). Perhaps this diet has had a positive effect on my eyes after all.

Well, there are other(slower options). There is this Ultimeyes gimmick which may turn out to be a fraud, and then there is the more hopeful "Plus-Lens Therapy" where one wears plus lenses for reading/TV etc. and goads the eye to becoming stronger and more able to focus at normal vision standards. Takes a  year or so to improve by 1 diopter or thereabouts.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Orthokeratology foul-up
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 02:28:07 am »
How long were you actually able to follow the wearing regimen? Did you notice any changes?

Frankly, I don't blame you for giving up, and I commend your pioneer spirit. I've spent good money on a bazillion health ideas that weren't that good for me. Fortunately, in all my searching, I've found a lot of things that work well. It's not folly, it's research!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Orthokeratology foul-up
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 04:34:23 am »
How long were you actually able to follow the wearing regimen? Did you notice any changes?
I spent half an hour putting them on on the first day then walked around for 2 further hours before the 2nd appointment where I took a further half-hour to get them off. At the time, the eye-doctor told me that I had gained back half my vision in just the 2 hours I had worn the lenses, so it seemed promising. Then I had the awful first night where I spent an hour trying to fit in the lenses for the night and then temporarily losing them etc. Now, perhaps I may be more malcoordinated than other eye-patients or something - whatever the case, I could not see myself  wasting an hour a day putting the lenses on and off. Besides, I sometimes  like to go mountain-hiking for days at a time and such inconveniencies would ruin my holidays.
Frankly, I don't blame you for giving up, and I commend your pioneer spirit. I've spent good money on a bazillion health ideas that weren't that good for me. Fortunately, in all my searching, I've found a lot of things that work well. It's not folly, it's research!
True enough. During my years of ill-health, I  wasted thousands of dollars on things that proved useless to me such as herbal medicine and excessive multivitamin/mineral dosages.However, once in a while, a particular treatment or diet was perhaps very mildly effective  which led me on to try something else that worked a bit better, and so on. At least I was able to get back most of the money I spent on the orthokeratology experiment and further gimmicks are a lot cheaper. If I had gone on for more than a few weeks, I would have been forced , via contract, to spend the whole first year's cost, even if I gave up in subsequent months...
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk