Author Topic: Bone broth soup - left over bones  (Read 3829 times)

Offline spitfiredd1

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Bone broth soup - left over bones
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »
So I made some bone broth soup today and I took one of the bones and it was very brittle so I started to chew on it.  It was very crumbly and I was able to get down into the marrow and it was really good.  Is this safe to do?  I felt like if I ate too much I was going to overload on calcium or something so I gave the rest to my dog (i'm sure he loves the fact that I do this for him and I really like giving my dog the best nutrition possible so I don't feel like I wasted anything).  But I was wondering can you do anything with the left over bones?  I feel like it would be very easy to grind up into a powder, but what would I do with that?  Any suggestions?  As an aside I am glad nothing was thrown away.
Other forums I frequent:
Give it to me Raw
30bananasadaysucks.com

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Bone broth soup - left over bones
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »
Spread it on soil.  Too much calcium at once can kill the soil microorganisms, but they will come back after a couple of years, and the calcium is very, very important for plants.

Offline spitfiredd1

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:31:37 pm »
Oh also do I need to store it in the fridge or can I leave it out in a cool dry place?
Other forums I frequent:
Give it to me Raw
30bananasadaysucks.com

Offline spitfiredd1

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:37:46 am »
To be honest I'm rather inclined to chew on a few bones and dig out some of the marrow for myself and then give the rest to my dog. 
Other forums I frequent:
Give it to me Raw
30bananasadaysucks.com

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
I'd store cooked bones in the fridge, if you're planning to munch on them later. Otherwise, I don't guess it matters.

Offline spitfiredd1

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
What do you guys use your bone broth tea's for?  I was thinking of heating them up enough to liquefy the fats again and drinking it straight; or using it as a base for tea.  I guess really the possibilities are endless.
Other forums I frequent:
Give it to me Raw
30bananasadaysucks.com

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:55:58 am »
What do you guys use your bone broth tea's for?  I was thinking of heating them up enough to liquefy the fats again and drinking it straight; or using it as a base for tea.  I guess really the possibilities are endless.

I like it straight, personally, but depending upon the type of tea, I think it could be very good blended with something like that, too. Probably one of the more savory sorts of flavoring. You'd completely lose anything delicate or sweeter in the mix.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk