Author Topic: Raw. Cod. Livers.  (Read 3434 times)

CitrusHigh

Raw. Cod. Livers.
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:23:55 am »
Guess who's getting raw, whole cod livers! That's right, me! So excited. This is a manifestation for me because I even emailed fishermen in norway for these and ratfish livers! And then I check in on my WAPF traditional foods yahoo group today and the first post I see is "wild caught whole cod livers!!!"

I know the salmon fisherman personally who catches them and this is going to kick the llama's ass! This way I'll be able to contrast with Green Pasture's FCLO and see if the scratchiness is due to oxidization or if it's something else entirely. These will be $20/lb, which to me, is a pittance compared to the substantial sum they charge for the FCLO, which is a processed product comparatively.

Let ya all no how it goes. If anyone has any input, or ideas on ways to experiment with this goodness, please lemme know!

Cheers!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw. Cod. Livers.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:09:10 am »
Lucky, powerful, manifesting DAWG!

Let me hit the thesaurus to see how many ways I can say JEALOUS.

Are you going to ferment them the traditional way or eat it fresh? 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:21:55 am »
oh hey, let me know when the next delivery to moyie springs, idaho is scheduled ill take a few pounds :)!

seriously awesome!  that gives me the idea to seek out salmon livers if i am still up north when they are running

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:51:11 am »
they claim the 'scratchiness' is due to the fermentation....  I didn't trust the info and stopped taking it,, or should I say my body stopped allowing me to put in it.  But ever now and then I still wonder.
    One time I was in Norway and asked a fisherman to save the cod liver for me.  He said he through it away, for it had holes all throughout due to disease or parasites.  Wondering what yours will look like?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:54:58 am »
Thanks Dorothy and will do J!

Yeah Van, I remember you saying that, and that is what prompted the comment in the above post.  I guess we'll find out!

Matt only pedals high quality fishies, I've never been disappointed, so I will excpect the same from his cod produce. Time will tell, I'll take pics and be sure to post them!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:21:50 pm »
Woops, I'm open to experiments Dorothy. I thought maybe I'd lacto ferment some of them for funsies, also definitely fresh and raw (CL sashimi anyone? lol!)

I know one thing I won't be doing with them, COOKING boo hiss!!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »
How about putting some in a barrel (maybe a tiny one? :) ) like where you buy your oil from does?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:49:51 pm »
Well, because of the price and my current financial status (LoA : I'm rich biatch! lol) I'll only be getting a couple lbs to start off, so not efficacious for barrels, but I'll use mini barrels eg. quart or half gallon mason jars.

If this works, I may look in to marketing these wares, though I don't know if I can do that ethically with the state of fisheries, we'll see, first things first!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:52:49 am »
I'll be your first private customer and we won't have to tell anyone. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk