Author Topic: Beef fed with hay and vegetables  (Read 3753 times)

Offline nielsz1972

• Forager
    • View Profile
Beef fed with hay and vegetables
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:00:18 am »
I bought some beef from a local farmer.
In the winter season his animals were fed with hay(90%) and some vegetables like cabbage, carrots and potatoes(10%).
Will this influence the omega3-omega6 balance in a negative way ?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Beef fed with hay and vegetables
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:56:25 am »
The vegetables don't matter all that much. Hay can be bad depending on what kind it is.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:44:44 am »
The vegetables don't matter all that much. Hay can be bad depending on what kind it is.

What hay is bad? From my experience hay is only called hay if it's grass and or alfalfa sprouts
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:06:30 am »
What hay is bad? From my experience hay is only called hay if it's grass and or alfalfa sprouts
Correct.
The more broad term Silage is used for other foods the animal could be fed in winter. This includes grains, corn, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:19:10 am »
    Called silage because it was stored in the silo. 

It was alfalfa grass rather than the little new sprouts, AFAIK.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:33:56 am »
Im trying to find where I read it but apparently hay isn't always just dried grasses.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:02:34 pm »
I think by definition hay is dried grasses, although grasses can include grasses of legumes like alfalfa and clover. Many grass-fed/finished farms use hay and even grow hay as an export. The green parts of wheat and such might be used for straw, but on small grass-grazed farms that don't cultivate wheat or oats this is probably uncommon? and even if so the greens of such plants are different then their seeds/grains.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
Silage is bad hay is fine.  Vegetables are fine. If the cows are fed on herbs like clover etc., that's even better.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk