Author Topic: Minor setback - Any comments would be good  (Read 9313 times)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Minor setback - Any comments would be good
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:49:54 am »
Hey,

Been RP for a while now, but just recently switched to one large meal a day. Earlier on in my RP experience I don't think I was eating enough calories, and felt cold at times as a result. I have been increasing my protein and fat consumption of late, and my temperature has much improved.

It is a bit too early to say whether one meal a day is a success yet or not.

This morning I ate more meat than I have done before.
225g of lambs heart, 250g of lamb breast, and 225g of lamb shoulder - all grass fed from my usual supplier.
I am obviously increasing my amounts as I am only eating one meal a day now, as oppose to three. It did feel like a lot to get through, and towards the end I was flagging somewhat, although I wouldn't say I felt full. More just sick of eating lamb!

I felt OK for the 3,4 or 5 hours, and then I started to feel sickly. I have chucked up a couple of times now today, and felt pretty sickly most of the day. I am through it now though.

I know people have mentioned that excessive fat intake can make you sick, however I am fairly convinced that I have eaten that amount of fat before and been fine. I estimate the fat content was about 200-250g.

However, I have never eaten that much protein before. Could this have made me sick?

Or could it be just that the large volume of food that made me sick? If this is the case, could two meals a day be more optimal for myself?

Or could it be dodgy lamb? (Usual supplier, never had any problems before, organic/grass-fed)

What are your opinions on this?

Cheers,

Phil

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Minor setback - Any comments would be good
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:04:41 am »
I found that 2 meals a day works best for me. I happen a couple of times to have only one meal in the evening, but I was so hungry and I ate so much that it resulted in a difficult digestion.

Did you eat that lamb nature or seasoned?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:34:31 am »
I think it's the excess of fat making you feel sick.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:59:51 am »
There was no seasoning on the lamb, if that's what you mean. If by nature you mean on its own, then yes that's how I had it.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:14:00 am »
In this case, if the lamb was ok, unseasoned, not ground and you liked its taste till the end, I guess that by eating such a large amount you triggered a beneficial detox process. Anyway, as I said, two meals a day seem the optimal for most people. If you work, then you can eat at lunch time and once back home in the evening. 

Cheers
Francois 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:26:59 am »
A beneficial detox process! Wow that really is taking a positive outlook on a negative situation. Hehe.

Thanks Francois.

I currently eat my meal in the morning. I know most seem to eat in the evening. Is there a particular reason for this?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:56:15 am »
Yeah I wasn't saying it was necessarily a bad thing or otherwise anyway.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:59:40 am »
Do you eat any fruit or vegetable the rest of the day?

Or you are just 1 raw animal food meal a day + water?

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:32:00 pm »
Yer, GS that day I did NOT have any fruit or vegetables the rest of the day.

I simply had 1 raw animal meal plus water.

Could this have had an effect?

Cheers,

Phil

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »
Yes Technosmith. If you're eating more fat than you can absorb, then eating plants will push it through. So if you've been eating that much fat before and it's not caused you problems, it's because of that. Undigested fat isn't meant to go in to get to the large intestine afaik, and when it does that's when it causes discomfort, I think. If you have any trouble digesting/absorbing fat, then you'll notice it when you don't eat any plants. Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing to put yourself through it anyway, or whether or not a healthy person should have this issue or otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:43:50 pm by miles »

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:24:01 pm »
If that is the case, would you recommend adding plant food, or decreasing fat consumption?

If I was to add plant food, I imagine you guys would recommend fruit as optimum? Would Avocado count as a fruit/plant food, or would that compound the fat issue!

Or perhaps am I eating more fat than I need/ or can tolerate?

Thanks

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:18 pm »
As the instinctos would suggest, go to the fruit market and pick what your nose tells you you feel like eating at the moment.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:42 pm »
If that is the case, would you recommend adding plant food, or decreasing fat consumption?
If I was to add plant food, I imagine you guys would recommend fruit as optimum? Would Avocado count as a fruit/plant food, or would that compound the fat issue!
Or perhaps am I eating more fat than I need/ or can tolerate?

There will always be people, assholes and stupid nutritionists alike to tell you that you should eat this or that and avoid this and that! The dilemma is that no one agrees.

Once you’ve excluded all artificial stuff, cereals, dairy, cooked, processed, mixed and seasoned food, about everything  you like can be tasted. If it smells good to you (and ideally triggers salivation), then why not carefully taste it (in case of doubtful stuff, keep it in the mouth 6 to 10 seconds to allow enough time to spit it if a bad taste appears) and eat as much as you want as long is it still tastes good and no bad feeling appears, just like an animal would do?

I currently eat my meal in the morning. I know most seem to eat in the evening. Is there a particular reason for this?

Yes, it seems better to allow a daily rest to our digestive system. Digestion takes a lot of energy, and apparently elimination of toxins cannot take place during digestion. So with two meals separated by about 15 or 16 hours, that’s fine. For someone who has always eaten raw paleo since birth, this break would probably not be so useful.  

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 12:34:46 am »
If I decrease my fat consumption somewhat then I want to replace the calories lost.

Can this be done by raising protein intake (up to maybe 500-700g), or would I be better to add some carbs?

Still a bit wary of fruit and its blood sugar spiking effect. Guess I could combine some fruit with some avocado, or perhaps some sauerkraut.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24:51 am »
Also Iguana, I find that I struggle somewhat to determine when to stop eating. I just eat everything that I decide I'm going to eat.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 01:42:34 am »
Also Iguana, I find that I struggle somewhat to determine when to stop eating. I just eat everything that I decide I'm going to eat.

You must be very hungry ;) ! I know, the first months or even years we eat raw, we have big needs to fill. Moreover meats from domesticated animals and cultivated fruits remain tasty too long, so that we can eat too much of it. Try meat from wild animals and fruits as wild as you can find. Do not exclude vegetables, fennel, celery, sweet potatoes, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower and so, the instinctive stop is clear with them. With walnuts, chestnuts, etc. too.  

No problem if you eat more than a kg of meat or 30 eggs one day. The amount you eat will lessen with the time, as your body fills up. Just try to vary your proteins source, eating exclusively beef or lamb for years is certainly dangerous.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:51:30 am by Iguana »

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 03:18:55 am »
Cheers for the advice.

Do you adhere to food combining Iguana?

Yer, I'm looking into the possibility of introducing some raw shellfish. The thought of raw scallops is appealing but I reckon they will be expensive.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 03:52:57 am »
I suspect Iguana favours the Instincto habit of "'mono-eating", eating just 1 food at a time.

I buy all kinds of raw shellfish. raw lobster is the most expensive followed by raw scallops. Raw oysters are a bit cheaper(I get an amazingly good deal, buying large numbers of  huge double-oysters clumped together whch the fishmonger sells to me for the price of one in each case, because nobody else wants them). Raw mussels and raw crabs are considerably cheaper, of course(I can get from 150 to 200 raw mussels for just 4 pounds sterling).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 03:58:27 am »
Tyler, what are your thoughts on my initial question?

Should I lower my fat consumption, considering the fact that meal made me sick?

And replace the calories with......? More protein? Or carbs?

Yer, I think I'll pick up some mussels next time I'm at the fishmonger. And maybe some oysters? Is there anything I should check with the fishmonger, or ask him, before buying? You get them live don't ya?

Cheers,

Phil

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 04:07:30 am »
Ultimately, we all come to this diet bearing different health-problems gained on SAD diets over the years, so we all have to do considerable experimentation to see what works for us alone as individuals. That means upping carbs, then removing carbs, increasing meal frequency/reducing it etc., until you find what works for you specifically.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 04:37:11 am »
I suspect Iguana favours the Instincto habit of "'mono-eating", eating just 1 food at a time.

That's a way of practicing favored by Dominique Guyaux http://www.guyaux.fr/ identical to the regular instincto practice except that he eats as you say, one food at the time and up to about 6 times a day. I tried it but it didn't suit me well, I was always eating. I think GCB also tried it but with little success. On the contrary, it suited Alphagruis and another friend of mine well. But I think she reverted to two meals a day now because it fits better with her working schedule. 

Two meals per day works fine for me and most others. Per example today I ate durian (again!) first for lunch, but as I was still hungry and I had no more durian, I ate some persimmons a few minutes later. Tonight I had moufflon first, followed about 20 minutes latter by chestnuts and almost immediately after a bit a cauliflower. Then a few small pears.  

It seems better to leave some time to elapse between different foodstuff, especially after animal proteins. But this time span may vary according to the amount eaten, our mood, hunger and other conditions!  And of course, if we feel satisfied with only one foodstuff, so be it. The more different foods we mix in the stomach, the more complicated the digestion process is, so it's better to limit the number of different things we ingest sequentially in a meal. Also, mixing some may lead to an indigestion: for example, I will always remember not to mix avocados and almonds in my stomach !  >D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:50:31 am by Iguana »

Offline 00nightstorm

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 01:59:52 am »
Hey,

Earlier on in my RP experience I don't think I was eating enough calories, and felt cold at times as a result. I have been increasing my protein and fat consumption of late, and my temperature has much improved.

I was freezing cold when I was eating a lot of fruit.  I cut out fruit and that went away completely.  There are numerous posts of people reporting the same problem when eating fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk