Author Topic: help me get enough fat..  (Read 21791 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
help me get enough fat..
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:57 am »
OK so ive switched to completely raw high fat/protein & low carb diet.

i just had a raw grass fed bison heart.. yummy..

I have a bunch of grass fed bison meat but they all look lean, no fat.. im trying to get at least 65% calories from fat..

Right now im eating an avocado with each meal.. plus i eat maybe 12 raw egg yolks a day... id like to avoid oils for fat..

some of you are saying the spleen/suet? what is that and where the heck do you buy that from? i dont see it online and my local health food store doesnt have spleen..

so you guys that are getting 60%+ calories from fat, how do you do it? please share..

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: help me get enough fat..
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:54:09 pm »
i'll add i dont really want dairy... im thinking of coconut oil??

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:15:26 pm »
I don't know if it's because there's something wrong with me, but I can't eat 'much' fat before I'll get diarrhoea(etc..[the many other bad things that come with it])...

It's still a lot by 'normal' standards though..

One thing I'm not sure of though, is how much that is down to the proportion of fat, and how much is down to sheer quantity...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »
Buy live muscle fat.
It should be part of your tbone or sirloin or whatever cuts.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:31:05 pm »
i do buy fatty meats, but i dont think the fat is enough.. a little fat in the meat means the protein count is still a lot higher..

also does marrow go by another name in the store? or do i just go into a whole foods and ask them for the marrow?

Any of u here use coconut oil?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
Buy live muscle fat.
It should be part of your tbone or sirloin or whatever cuts.
If eating carnivorous/"ZC" it's not enough fat GS. You really do need to find some source of supplemental fat if you're avoiding carbs.

some of you are saying the spleen/suet? what is that and where the heck do you buy that from? i dont see it online and my local health food store doesnt have spleen..
You want suet, not spleen. Spleen is an organ itself, the suet is fat from around internal organs (the kidneys being the primary source).
Try these sources:
http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/
http://www.northstarbison.com/
http://www.eatwild.com/<-Find local producers/farmers with this site.
Most health food stores in my experience won't carry grass-finished fat. You can look in the phone book and call all you find but I doubt you'll find much that way.

so you guys that are getting 60%+ calories from fat, how do you do it? please share..
I frequent a farmer at my local farmer's market who has lots of suet & marrow. It's the only way I can meet my fat calorie needs.

also does marrow go by another name in the store? or do i just go into a whole foods and ask them for the marrow?
They'll call it marrow.

Any of u here use coconut oil?
I do not and have not. Some here have or do you use it with some modicum of success but many others have problems with it. You can give it a shot and see how you do with it but know you may have problems with it. Make sure you get unheated oil.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:45 am »
how much fat does the actual marrow contain

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:49 am »
how much fat does the actual marrow contain

By calories, caribou marrow is 97% fat, 3% protein. Caribou is the only marrow i've seen on any nutrition database.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:51:51 am »
hmm sounds good.. what does marrow taste like? and any reputable sites that sell it?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:05:06 am »
I use Fitday to track anything I put in my mouth (I do weight-lifting and like to have a bikini body year round, low BF%) and I thrive on 70-80% fat. I eat mostly raw 80/20 ground beef and raw bone marrow. I also eat eggs, and put in extra yolks. I eat pork ribs and lamb. I don't eat chicken, turkey or fish, except for chicken hearts.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:01 am »
I called North Star bison and they have it  :D

so how do u guys eat it? break the bone and scoop the marrow or what?? sorry for all these noob questions but you guys are literally saving my life here :)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 03:14:04 am »
I think usually they cut it in half for you. They do it with a saw, so I suppose you could do it if they don't. I've just scooped it out with anything... the handle of a teaspoon for example.. If it gets crumbly you can just scrape it out on to a plate.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 03:16:15 am »
how many of those bones/lbs do i need to actually get around 2k calories in fat/day?

Basically if the bone weighs like 1lb, how much stuff can u actually scoop out of it?

I ordered 4lbs, but dont know if that will last a day cause im not sure how much can be scooped from it

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 03:59:52 am »
so how do u guys eat it? break the bone and scoop the marrow or what??
I get full round bones cut into 4-6" segments. I scrape/push the marrow out with a butter knife.

how many of those bones/lbs do i need to actually get around 2k calories in fat/day?
A fair amount. If I'm eating marrow bones as my fat source one day I'll usually go through 3-5 bones.

Basically if the bone weighs like 1lb, how much stuff can u actually scoop out of it?[/url]
A one pound bone is going to give you a couple ounces of marrow. It's a nutrient dense source of fat though so it's worth it. Definitely not the cheapest calorie to dollar source of fat/energy but it's probably the most beneficial easily-purchased source. Suet's sustaining but marrow feels more alive when you eat it. :)

I ordered 4lbs, but dont know if that will last a day cause im not sure how much can be scooped from it
You should be ok for a day, maybe two. Once you know if you like it you can order bigger orders to save on shipping. ;)

sorry for all these noob questions but you guys are literally saving my life here :)
No problem, we've all been there. ;)
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 04:13:29 am »
how many calories do u think u get from 1lb of bone marrow..

wow this diet can get expensive.. i tried to eat a steak with a lot of fat, its sooo chewy i couldnt break it up completely, so i ended up just swallowing it

do any of u kinda just swallow the animal fat after chewing for a bit?

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 04:36:04 am »
quick question, why do u guys discourage nuts?

its such an easy way of getting calories.. brazil nuts/almonds.. i can get hundreds of calories per bite..

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 05:15:41 am »
I buy bones that are already cut and in containers at my market. I let them sit a bit until the bones are not frozen but not soft, and push the marrow out with my thumb. I then refrigerate. Then I can weigh the marrow in ounces before I eat them with my raw ground beef. I eat anywhere from 1-4 oz. at a time.

Nuts are high in omega 6s, have carbs and fiber which takes nutrients from your body.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 05:47:47 am »
how many calories do u think u get from 1lb of bone marrow..

wow this diet can get expensive.. i tried to eat a steak with a lot of fat, its sooo chewy i couldnt break it up completely, so i ended up just swallowing it

do any of u kinda just swallow the animal fat after chewing for a bit?

You should hold the chunk of meat in your hands and rip bits off with your teeth...

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 11:31:49 pm »
It would never be possible to eat significant amounts of nuts in nature. Also think of nuts and seeds like this: They are little uterises and are very estrogenic. If anyone here is eating nuts/ beans/ seeds and yin foods of that sort, please balance them out with yang type foods such as bee pollen, pine pollen, oysters, scallops, etc... Remember this, 1 bottle of soy formula derived from soy beans provides roughly 7 birth control pills worth of estrogen. This is a huge under-looked problem and is one big reason why men are more feminine today and have erection/ testosterone problems. we are giving babies hormones and chemicals in the most crucial stages of development which screws them over for life. We have the worst infirtility counts ever in history now and its getting worse and worse, a big part of that is flax and soy. My advice would be to avoid soy/ flax/ black beans, and all other nuts/seeds/legumes like poison.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 01:37:07 am »
It would never be possible to eat significant amounts of nuts in nature. Also think of nuts and seeds like this: They are little uterises and are very estrogenic. If anyone here is eating nuts/ beans/ seeds and yin foods of that sort, please balance them out with yang type foods such as bee pollen, pine pollen, oysters, scallops, etc... Remember this, 1 bottle of soy formula derived from soy beans provides roughly 7 birth control pills worth of estrogen. This is a huge under-looked problem and is one big reason why men are more feminine today and have erection/ testosterone problems. we are giving babies hormones and chemicals in the most crucial stages of development which screws them over for life. We have the worst infirtility counts ever in history now and its getting worse and worse, a big part of that is flax and soy. My advice would be to avoid soy/ flax/ black beans, and all other nuts/seeds/legumes like poison.

yeah i figured nuts arent the most healthiest things.. how about avocados? right now my diet revolves around meat, eggs & avocados.. what else can i add to this?

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 02:03:18 am »
OMG cutting it with scissors worked.. i just ate a NY strip with a lotta fat on the end and i cut it and i was able to eat the whole thing.. is it weird that the raw meat tastes incredibly good.. it actually tastes better than BBQ'ed meat to me now..

Also, i add a pinch of sea salt.. is this bad at all  :( like a LITTLE pinch, very small i can barely taste it.. maybe next time i'll try it without salt and see how it goes..

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 03:11:59 am »
OMG cutting it with scissors worked.. i just ate a NY strip with a lotta fat on the end and i cut it and i was able to eat the whole thing.. is it weird that the raw meat tastes incredibly good.. it actually tastes better than BBQ'ed meat to me now..
Awesome.
It's not weird at all that it tastes good. Many don't enjoy the flavor of raw meat at first but plenty do. I'd take it as a sign that you're body is happy to get the nutrients in the meat.

Also, i add a pinch of sea salt.. is this bad at all  :( like a LITTLE pinch, very small i can barely taste it.. maybe next time i'll try it without salt and see how it goes..
I sprinkle a dash of sea salt on most of my meat. Some people think salt is evil, some say a bit is ok. I find I need a bit of it in my diet.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 04:40:39 am »
yeah i figured nuts arent the most healthiest things.. how about avocados? right now my diet revolves around meat, eggs & avocados.. what else can i add to this?

It depends, are you zero carb? I think avacados are great. You could add coconut oil and coconut milk, I love the stuff, you can eat it, put it on your skin, anything really. I find that it makes my skin nice and soft.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 06:33:36 am »
zero carb.. but arent people here anti coconut oil??

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 08:24:31 am »
zero carb.. but arent people here anti coconut oil??
Most are.
Some do well with it an advocate it's use. Primal Dieters also advocate Coconut Cream as it's touted by AV in his books.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk