Author Topic: How clean is your food ?  (Read 6329 times)

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
How clean is your food ?
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »
If you buy meat or fat from your butcher then how clean does it look like ? Can it have some "dirt" on it. I don't mean it literally but when I bought pork fat from my butcher and started to cut it at home, it didn't look "clean". It had some, for example, small hair pieces on it. Hair pieces were not from a human but similar when you drop a piece of fat on your carpet and pick it up. But they grow their own pigs and I have started to trust them as I recently changed butcher. But I haven't bought fat directly from butcher before so it came with small surprise.

Offt. By the way, the fat feels a lot like a gum. I usually have bought it from supermarket and it is hard and though. Is that right ?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: How clean is your food ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:52:39 pm »
Well, you seem to be referring to grainfed meats which are hardly suitable. As for the tiny hairs issue, I've encountered such in the past and it never bothered me a bit. 

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:16:19 pm »
Oh I try to see the source and the work ethic of the whole food supply chain as far as I can see it.
So over the years of being the marketer of the household we have settled on clean supplies.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:24 pm »
Well, you seem to be referring to grainfed meats which are hardly suitable. As for the tiny hairs issue, I've encountered such in the past and it never bothered me a bit. 

If you were referring to supermarket fat then yes. And good to know. Maybe it's just me for being too clean with food !

By the way the fat which felt like gum is the pigs inner fat. That's why it feels and tastes different.

Oh I try to see the source and the work ethic of the whole food supply chain as far as I can see it.
So over the years of being the marketer of the household we have settled on clean supplies.

Sure, I will be asking more about their meat and work ethics but I can't blast all of my questions out at once. They could get too protective :) You have posted some pictures from the market where you buy your meat. It looks good but they are freely in "open air" so I didn't expect that they are so clean. But eh looks like they take good care of your meat :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
Open air is best for meats.
They are freshly killed at 12mn or later and sold the same day.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

William

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:04 am »
If you buy meat or fat from your butcher then how clean does it look like ?

It's clean.

Can it have some "dirt" on it.

No. The only thing on it is the blue stamp that shows that it has been inspected and passed as fit for human consumption.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:41:59 am »
I'm not really fussed about 'clean'.

I can eat hair or feathers or what ever, but what I don't want is any sort of chemicals touching my food. I even feel iffy about storing my food in plastic.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 04:51:24 am »
raw meat is always clean to me no matter what's the source is.
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:21:16 am »
... The only thing on it is the blue stamp that shows that it has been inspected and passed as fit for human consumption.

I cut the blue stamp off.  What grade ink is that.  Anyone?  What's the source?  Petroleum?  Soy?  When do they stamp it precisely?  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:56:02 am »
   I cut the blue stamp off.  What grade ink is that.  Anyone?  What's the source?  Petroleum?  Soy?  When do they stamp it precisely?  
I cut it off too. I carve out a 1/4 deep pocket around it to make sure I get it all.

My meat is usually pretty clean. Sometimes I'll get a couple hairs on it but it just means it's real and not sanitized IMO. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:12 am »
I cut it off too. I carve out a 1/4 deep pocket around it to make sure I get it all.

My meat is usually pretty clean. Sometimes I'll get a couple hairs on it but it just means it's real and not sanitized IMO. :)
hi dan, i'd love to know who's your farmer? probably, i can shop from him too. my farmer raises all 100% grassfed animals and he's from pa.
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk