4 (30.8%)
Mocs
2 (15.4%)
Sandals
0 (0%)
Not attending
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: OH YEAH! barefoot run!!! whos going??  (Read 47718 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: OH YEAH! barefoot run!!! whos going??
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2010, 09:06:14 am »
You're talking about walking forefoot with shoes.. That isn't the same as barefoot. It seems to me that when you're walking anywhere for a reason you are wearing shoes, whereas when you walk barefoot it is walking for walking. Am I not correct?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2010, 09:08:40 am »
No, I frequently walk and/or run or jog to a special place of mine in my bare feet and I have walked home in bare feet from work and other places at times recently, by coincidence. What constitutes a "place" to you?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2010, 09:10:53 am »
And by what mechanism would walking to a "place" instead of say, around in circles on a race track, better enable forefoot walking? It sounds like magical thinking to me.

Come to think of it, I almost always walk or run "to a place", whether I go barefoot, or in barefoot-style shoes or sandals, instead of on a race track or around a block or on a treadmill. The latter always seemed too much like a rat on a treadmill. It never made much sense to me.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:16:57 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:50 am »
You've been acting much more like that yourself lately. What gives? Whatever it is, please get over it and move on.

My apologies Phil. I am conscious of it. I started writing a reply but I think it got far too long and complicated so I cut it down to this.

I had a significant change in my life fairly recently and have sort of 'let myself go' to some extent.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:05:16 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:00 am »
OK, thanks for explaining. Take care of yourself.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 01:55:28 pm »
Do you actually expect us to believe that Lex also does not walk "to get to places"?

To close the loop on this one, yes, I do walk almost everywhere when time permits.  It is generally a 2 mile walk to most of the places I go like the market, bank, post office, local mall & etc so out and back is a 4 mile trip.  I walk barefoot almost without exception, rain or shine, hot or cold, and probably average 20 - 30 miles per week.  Been doing this since I retired in 2006.  Did 4 trips in one day once so that day alone was 16 miles, but most days are 4 miles and about 6 days per week.  I wear a moderately sized back pack when going to the market and often carry 30 to 50 lbs (15 - 25 Kilos) back home. 

I seldom walk forefoot first unless the terrain demands it and then I just do it automatically.  I can force myself to do it on flat surfaces but it just doesn't feel right and I have to work hard to keep from reverting back to a light heal strike first.  I finally figured out that it was way to much work to continually force myself to do something that my body obviously didn't want to do so now I just walk and let my body choose the foot strike it wants depending on conditions.  90% of the time it is a light heal strike first.

Lex

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2010, 10:32:58 pm »
OK. As a separate issue, do you carry a pair of flip-flops with you to go in to buildings? Have you ever been denied access to somewhere for not wearing shoes?

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2010, 03:11:40 pm »
OK. As a separate issue, do you carry a pair of flip-flops with you to go in to buildings? Have you ever been denied access to somewhere for not wearing shoes?
Yep in supermarkets - because of "hygiene"...ridiculus...
well I have started running barefoot a while ago and i LOVE it! I never get injured anymore - I used to have knee problems, but they quickly went away! I have been walking barefoot before that and once after I started running in FF's and then also barefoot my posture greatly improved-by itself. it is aazing how the body naturally responds to the surface!
The other day I was wearing hiking boots - it is getting winter now here and we made a day hike throught the forests and well I thought I would need shoes -my legs did hurt so much after this! I swear my legs and feet feel way better with no shoes / minimal shoewear!
Nicole

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »
I seldom walk forefoot first unless the terrain demands it and then I just do it automatically.  I can force myself to do it on flat surfaces but it just doesn't feel right and I have to work hard to keep from reverting back to a light heal strike first.  I finally figured out that it was way to much work to continually force myself to do something that my body obviously didn't want to do so now I just walk and let my body choose the foot strike it wants depending on conditions.  90% of the time it is a light heal strike first.

When I walk barefoot or in socks I walk forefoot first, but when I wear sneakers (flat ones) I walk heel first. Forcing yourself to walk one way or the other is pointless. Perhaps the way we walk barefoot has to do with a person's posture or the way their back curvature is and how their weight is distributed. When walking forefoot first I feel more sneaky and fox-like, when I am jogging its usually heel first though, which gives me a nice tempo/speed for running.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 07:48:41 am »
When I walk barefoot or in socks I walk forefoot first, but when I wear sneakers (flat ones) I walk heel first. Forcing yourself to walk one way or the other is pointless. Perhaps the way we walk barefoot has to do with a person's posture or the way their back curvature is and how their weight is distributed. ...
That's an interesting hypothesis, as I do have a mild diagnosed kyphoscoliotic curvature. I'm hoping that barefoot walking might help straighten it a little in the long run, or at least prevent future worsening of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk