Author Topic: Where is everyone getting raw organ meats?  (Read 14505 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Where is everyone getting raw organ meats?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 12:50:27 am »
nah, this person is way to "knowledgeable" about AV, paleo or whatever to be a transport from somethingawful.com

its great to have proof how utterly ignorant and vindictive of fellow humans simple dietary deficiencies/philosophies can cause. here on such a specific minded forum, we might loose track of that.

only someone with a truly unbalanced brain would find this to be a productive strategy for their cause or even personal enjoyment. Seems like a fine strategy for general morons, but for someone one the other end priding themselves on their health its really sad.

funny how this email also turns up on the GITMR forum with controversial posts spoofing the benefits of processed vegan food and chocolate avocados.

pure hate for everyone
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:26:18 am by KD »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:06 am »
funny how this email also turns up on the GITMR forum with controversial posts about the benefits of processed vegan food and chocolate avocados.

You mean him? http://www.myspace.com/thenaughtyvegan
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 01:04:16 am »
    You mean him? http://www.myspace.com/thenaughtyvegan

Really?  This is what that guy comes up with as a way to amuse himself?  I'm disgusted.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 01:38:05 am »
I really suspect someone else based on the arguments/speak, but I guess that IS the name listed in the email. "Avocado" and "Jeff" are both (unconfirmed) aliases of DR on GITMR. "Avocado" always in the same mocking/sarcastic/hyperbolic manner talks about all the benefits of eating junk vegan food - to spoof the David Wolfe types or just conventional vegans which arn't extreme enough I suppose. But perhaps "Jeff" IS just this Keebler Elf guy.

Here is some of his beautiful poetry:

"Every seed bearing plant shall be our food.
To think otherwise is more than just rude!
Mother Earth is dying. It’s just not right!
She needs our help. We have to fight!
A plant-based diet is what we should eat.
The flesh-eating lifestyle is now obsolete."

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 02:35:48 am »
... "Avocado" and "Jeff" are both (unconfirmed) aliases of DR on GITMR. "Avocado" always in the same mocking/sarcastic/hyperbolic manner talks about all the benefits of eating junk vegan food - to spoof the David Wolfe types or just conventional vegans which arn't extreme enough I suppose. But perhaps "Jeff" IS just this Keebler Elf guy.

They're all Keebler elf guys.  I was one too.  People used to call me an elf when I was vegan.  I didn't know why they called me that.  I'm called better things now.  I didn't like being called an elf

While we're on the topic of organs, I just ate a high lamb heart (out of a little Ball® jar) that I bought at WF last week.  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 02:53:08 am »
"Avocado" and "Jeff" are both (unconfirmed) aliases of DR on GITMR.

Can moderators see IP adresses?  Durianrider lives in Thailand.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 03:18:16 am »
... Durianrider lives in Thailand.

durianriders flies around a lot.  Everyone knows he flies in airplanes excessively.  He may be in Thailand right now.  Nice knowing where he lives (I guess).  He's the kind who goes around eating the spiritual heart out of others.  What do you think of heart meat?  I bet horse heart is really sweet tasting.  Oh, your avatar looks kind of like an elf.  It's cute though.  I personally didn't want to be thought of as one in any way, maybe because I was too much of one in a way.  

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 03:55:03 am »
I don't get the Elf thing, what does it mean to be called an Elf on GITMR?

Ox hearts have the most interesting texture, it kinda reminds me of rare cooked roast beef. It might be my favorite organ but tongues and brains rock too. I still haven't had kidneys, a friend of mine told me it tastes like urine so I'm in no hurry to try it, is that true?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 05:02:06 am »
I don't get the Elf thing, what does it mean to be called an Elf on GITMR?

Ox hearts have the most interesting texture, it kinda reminds me of rare cooked roast beef. It might be my favorite organ but tongues and brains rock too. I still haven't had kidneys, a friend of mine told me it tastes like urine so I'm in no hurry to try it, is that true?

The elfin look is in ;)

I like all the brains I've tried so far.  Hearts are ok, a little low in fat for me.  I like bison tongue, but only plain.  Kidneys are good only if they're fresh.  Otherwise they DO taste like strong urine smells.  It's true.  You have to get them locally to make sure they're freshest, FME.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 05:40:47 am »
it means physically looking like an elf.

I only referenced GITMR because there was someone there doing exactly the same thing but making fun of conventional and "high fat" gourmet vegans as 811 types also seem to disfunctionally get too much enjoyment bashing on...if they run out of clever ways to bash RAF eaters. The same kind of character saying things like "why eat all that juicy fruit, I just eat boxes of pasta to gain weight" or whatever transparent crap.

The link posted was of a Keebler Elf looking chef, who seems to also write anti-meat poetry, but I highly suspect he'd be trashing gourmet vegans on GITMR, or making the same inverse statements about hydration/ digestion/being thin/fat etc.. here which clearly have a 811 perspective.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:55:53 am by KD »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 10:53:43 am »
back on the subject of organs, I have a question

I've always assumed that there are no real year-round grass-fed farms in my area, but it turns out there are a few using hay and other grass products and such in the winter.

I'm assuming that getting meat at the store that has a (official) listed shelf life of a few days, is drastically different than picking up meat or organs on site.

For those picking up meats and organs from farms, how long do these last refrigerated? ideally if the relationship works I would still only like to make 2 trips a month or so and definitely not more than once a week.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:07:16 am by KD »

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:52 am »
For those picking up meats and organs from farms, how long do these last refrigerated? ideally if the relationship works I would still only like to make 2 trips a month or so and definitely not more than once a week.
Forever, as long as you can tolerate the "highness" of the meat at that stage. Real meat doesn't go bad, it just breaks down.
I buy my meat once every two weeks and cut meat off the primal cut for all meals until I get to the next pickup day. I had about a pound left over from the previous batch when I picked up my meat last time. It was too tacky to cut it safely (and I don't have a grinder yet) so I tossed it but I'd have cut it up and thrown it in a jar to culture further if I could have.
Organs would be the same way except I'd use up tongues or brains quicker because the fat doesn't age as well.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 08:19:14 am »
Thanks

I personally have assumed high meat was more than just letting something age, that it involed some controls of exposure to oxygen and such.

do you keep everything in the plastic packaging ( you are doing mostly delivery right?) or do you transport to jars and things? are you leaving meat exposed in the fridge? or outside the fridge? Which organs would you then lats longer, more carbs like liver? also would this rule also apply to fats like suet?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 09:45:59 am »
Thanks

I personally have assumed high meat was more than just letting something age, that it involed some controls of exposure to oxygen and such.

do you keep everything in the plastic packaging ( you are doing mostly delivery right?) or do you transport to jars and things? are you leaving meat exposed in the fridge? or outside the fridge? Which organs would you then lats longer, more carbs like liver? also would this rule also apply to fats like suet?
The only real control is making sure you air it out every once in a while. It's one of the simplest things you can make.

I buy my meat from a market ~45 minutes away. They get delivery of a single grassfed steer once every other week and I pick up my chuck primal cut (the full shoulder blade) a day after delivery.
I pick up it up in a large heavy gauge plastic bag they give it to me in. I then transfer it to a large (the largest container they had at the store) plastic Tupperware container. I'd love to use something less reactive, like glass, but it's a ton of meat and I don't have anything else that big.
I'm opening the container each morning before work and evening when I get home to cut my meal of so just flip it then to make sure it airs out good.
I've left the meat out on the counter free to the air before and it worked nicely but gets too smelly for eating in my office. I've also left it open to the air in the fridge but since I share a fridge with my wife, and she eats other things, it can pick up smells and flavors I'm not fond of this way.
When I purposely make high meat it's always in a simple glass mason jar. Just make sure the throat of the jar is big enough to get your hand in or you might need to toss the jar rather than wash it when done. I guess you could reuse it but since I always had multiple jars going at once I never did.

Organs change pretty quickly no matter what organ they are. Maybe it's the higher nutrient content? Liver will last you about a week before you start to notice some changes.

I don't age fat nor do I think it's a good thing. Every time I eat fat that's been sitting for more than a week it's got a deterrent note to the taste. This is enough to keep me from eating it. I keep my fat in the freezer and take it out as need be. I prefer my suet semi-frozen anyways so this works well for me. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk