Author Topic: coconut meat?  (Read 16666 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
coconut meat?
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:46:03 am »
im thinking of buy some coconut meat.. are coconuts ok paleo??

seem to be high in fat, low in carbs..

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: coconut meat?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:13 am »
I don't know if they are completely paleo, but I eat a bit of coconut every day as part of my low carb diet. Meat and coconut seems to work well with me.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:30:11 am »

Yes, coconuts are paleo.
I eat coconuts almost every day.
They grow here quite abundantly.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:59:28 pm »

As long as we are not sure about our origin nobody can actually know what "paleo" really is.  ;)

I LOVE coconuts. For me it's a real super-food. Coconuts always make me happy and optimistic whereas fat from beef and lamb often makes me angry and aggressive. Has anybody else here noticed such reactions?

I can eat only very small amounts of the hard flesh from ripe coconuts otherwise I experience digestive trouble. The soft jelly meat from young coconuts is much better. Selfmade fresh coconut cream (as recommended by Aajonus) and raw coconut milk is fantastic.

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »
I eat coconuts almost every day.
They grow here quite abundantly.

THIS is one reason why I still think about moving to a tropical country...  ;)

Löwenherz

Busgrw

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »
As long as we are not sure about our origin nobody can actually know what "paleo" really is.  ;)

Coconuts always make me happy and optimistic whereas fat from beef and lamb often makes me angry and aggressive. Has anybody else here noticed such reactions?

I can relate to this as i've always thought I get angry and aggressive when eating low carb with beef and lamb as my main foods. Not sure if it was the fat specifically as never really tried and tested my thinking but I may look into it now. I do know that coconut calms me down and makes me feel good though.

B

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:29:40 pm »
I seem to have a slight food-intolerance to coconuts, and to a lesser extent, most other tropical fruits. Like some others here, I have a nasty food-intolerance towards raw coconut oil. In my own case, it gives me very painful stomach-aches.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:17:05 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:27 pm »
coconut meat is delicious to me..as is the milk, but the water is SUPER sweet to me and i cant touch it unless i have fermented it for a few days, then its amazing...i am sure the fresher the coconut the more healthful and i assume less sweet the water is, but still, i love coconuts i wish they grew here......

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 08:49:08 pm »
coconut meat is delicious to me..as is the milk, but the water is SUPER sweet to me and i cant touch it unless i have fermented it for a few days, then its amazing...i am sure the fresher the coconut the more healthful and i assume less sweet the water is, but still, i love coconuts i wish they grew here......

What makes you assume that? Don't you like sweet things?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »
What makes you assume that? Don't you like sweet things?

yeah ive gotten to the point where a lot of stuff is really sickly sweet, but remember taste is relative, its okay to like the taste of different things!  sometimes the thicker the water of the coconut the more syrupy it is, it will give me an acne, ear ache and yucky stomach unfermented.  i assume anything that isnt irradiated, dipped in preservatives, wrapped in plastic, refrigerated, goes through air travel and then also travels by semi and is placed in a sterile grocery store is always less nutritious then something fresh off the tree...as for the sweetness, the sweeter the water the staler it tastes to me, so yes, that is an assumption......

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »
I seem to have a slight food-intolerance to coconuts, and to a lesser extent, most other tropical fruits. Like some others here, I have a nasty food-intolerance towards raw coconut oil. In my own case, it gives me very painful stomach-aches.

I love coconuts but I loathe coconut oil, to say it in your words. Coconut oil is a very processed product stripped of many healthy ingredients in coconuts. It gives me numerous problems.

An introlerance towards such products is nothing bad, IMO. For the same reason I don't eat avocado oil. Whole avocadoes are ok.

Have you tried the soft jelly meat of young coconuts? For me it's food from heaven...

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »

Have you tried the soft jelly meat of young coconuts? For me it's food from heaven...

Löwenherz

No, I avoid even whole coconuts these days.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 10:34:32 pm »
...okay to like the taste of different things!  sometimes the thicker the water of the coconut the more syrupy it is, it will give me an acne, ear ache and yucky stomach unfermented.  i assume anything that isnt ...

I have never seen syrupy coconut water!? I guess these coconuts have been spoiled.

BTW: How do you ferment coconut water?

Löwenherz

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:15:39 pm »
its not really syrup but it tastes much more thick and sweet sometimes and leave a foul taste in the mouth
i have fermented them by adding the contents of a good probiotic to the coconut water and leaving on the counter for a few days, i make sure the coconut water is warm(70-80 deg) when i add the probiotic but havent really ever tried to hold it at this temp...i just make sure its in a warm spot in the house and use patients, it gets kind of carbonated after a few days, you can also ferment the meat...its basically the process of making coconut water kefir but with acidophilus strains instead of kefir strains, theres tons of info on the internet for the kefir

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 06:30:31 am »
i still think a lot of us are not harnessing the power of coconuts..

the meat is HIGH fat and LOW CARB.. i must have eaten 1000 calories of it yesterday.. nice way to get NON animal fat... and coconuts are good stuff.. :)

So now my fat sources are eggs, backfat, some from meat, acovado, and coconuts

im loving life ;)

CitrusHigh

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 06:44:50 am »
isn't that true mrz, that is one of my favorite things about this diet. By it's nature IMO, you're eating the foods you want to eat, nay, love to eat! Today I've been eating grassfed marrow, grassfed suet, pastured eggs, grassfed cream, butter, sweet potato, red pepper, free range chicken....all foods I love!

Offline ls_night

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Paleo Diet News
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 04:06:08 am »
How do you ferment the water? I also find it a bit sweet. And fermentation aides digestion, so it would be a bonus.  :)

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »

I LOVE coconuts. For me it's a real super-food. Coconuts always make me happy and optimistic whereas fat from beef and lamb often makes me angry and aggressive. Has anybody else here noticed such reactions?

I can eat only very small amounts of the hard flesh from ripe coconuts otherwise I experience digestive trouble. The soft jelly meat from young coconuts is much better. Selfmade fresh coconut cream (as recommended by Aajonus) and raw coconut milk is fantastic.

Löwenherz

I get very calm and relaxt from animal fat. I've always had bit of a temper but on rpd I'm calm. I used to get upset very easily and reacted acoordingly, raw animal fat(especially butter prob due to opiates) realy helps a lot. Never noticed any calming effects from vco.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk