Author Topic: Raw prawns...  (Read 3607 times)

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Raw prawns...
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:51:46 pm »
When I was in Italy one new year we had a starter of raw prawns at a restaurant - they were amazing, really sweet - I'm a bit nervous about trying them without having caught them myself or knowing the source though...

I asked my fishmonger and he said that the larger prawns they had were wild (because they can't farm them at that size) but they had been frozen - has anyone tried previously frozen wild prawns? Any tips on eating raw crustaceans?

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Raw prawns...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:01:31 am »
Yeh...don't tell an Aussie you like eating raw prawns  :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 03:41:04 pm »
I avoid eating previously frozen shellfish. I did try prefrozen scallops once and it was a disaster, they tasted so bland by comparison to the real, only previously chilled, kind.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »
I ate a raw scallop today...very nice, I recommend it if you get the chance.

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »
Cool, thanks for the tips! I figured as much, I don't really like meat after it's been frozen so I probably wouldn't like fish / shellfish either...

Shame as I really liked the prawns when I had them, guess I'll have to wait until I'm next down on the coast or in Italy  :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »
When I was in Italy one new year we had a starter of raw prawns at a restaurant - they were amazing, really sweet - I'm a bit nervous about trying them without having caught them myself or knowing the source though...

I asked my fishmonger and he said that the larger prawns they had were wild (because they can't farm them at that size) but they had been frozen - has anyone tried previously frozen wild prawns? Any tips on eating raw crustaceans?

I eat raw ocean prawns once in a while when I feel I have the money.  They are expensive here.
Usually they are freshly caught.
In Manila, they've been in ice buckets I presume.
Just see to it they are fresh.
I usually have some real vinegar so I can sanitize them just in case of bad handling practices.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:02:08 am »
Hi GS, thanks for the tip - I've been wondering about the sanitising thing - I've actually been rinsing my meat & fish before eating, in the same way I would rinse an apple or whatever because my feeling is that I don't know how it's been handled so it might have some other, not so good, bacteria on it...

Do you sanitise all food or just prawns / seafood? Do you always use vinegar and does it leave a taste?

I do wonder if rinsing with water really does anything...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk