Author Topic: Help Identifying Tripe and How to prepare  (Read 13416 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Help Identifying Tripe and How to prepare
« on: December 06, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »
    I just got an untreated sixteen pound tripe.  I expected it to have a honeycomb pattern.  I have never gotten a tripe before.  It smells like fresh farm poop.  It looks kind of like a rug, the vili I guess.  My human family are very upset about the smell, even though they don't mind any of the other raw animal product smells.  So I decided to soak it it celtic salt and filtered water (after rinsing it).  Have you ever eaten an untreated tripe?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline uph0

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Tripe and How to prepare
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:19:45 pm »
There's three types of tripe. Smooth, honeycomb, leaf. Pics: http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Types%20of%20Offal.htm It should washed really thoroughly. Normally its boiled for a few hours to help clean it  but maybe you can use some kind of brush to rub the dirty stuff out than soak it for a while.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:17:19 pm »
I don't see the point in eating the tripe's contents as they contain undigested plant-matter(eg:- grass) from cows etc. Better to get rid of the innards. I have to admit I've always been wary of eating stomach-contents or intestines after some nasty experiences eating cooked versions of the latter in my pre-RPD days.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:52:05 pm »
    Thank you uph0.  That is helpful.  Obviously what I got is not the preferred type.  After soaking it a while, much of the thin outer skin and some of the carpety part part lifted and started peeling off.  I disposed of most of that part in the yard, as it is brown colored like its poo smell.  It seemed natural to peel it off plus that was the part that contacted the animal's stomach contents while the animal was alive.

Thank you Tyler.  I don't know whether I'll buy any tripe again.  I did try it cooked in several different styles as a child.  It's another one of the (cooked) animal foods (no pun intended as this is becoming a popular dogfood) that didn't make my body react.  Maybe that's just because I only had it a few times.  I did cut some up and eat some.  It tasted better than it smelled, it didn't taste bad really and I feel ok.  

One of my cats is very curious about it, but has not considered it as food at all.  Maybe they just think an animal is around and are curious about that.  The other cat who usually eats a lot has absolutely no interest in this.  I try to choose foods I can share with someone.  I am the only meat eater in my house, who is a human.  If I can't give some tripe to my cats for them to enjoy eating, that's a reason I will likely not do this again.

The rest of the soaked, peeled, cut tripe is in large mason jars in my refrigerator.  I'll eat as much of what's there as I can, until I feel a strong enough reason not to.    
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:50:53 am »
I've always been wary of eating stomach-contents or intestines after some nasty experiences eating cooked versions of the latter in my pre-RPD days.

Did you get sick from it?  If so, what symptoms?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:20:51 am »
Helpful tips:

Get tripe in the Summer.  The nasty stuff you rinse off it should be wonderful to pour on unfrozen ground.

Cut the fat-like off the outside of the stomach.  Put that fat-stuff aside.  It's not dirty.  Do not soak it.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 05:19:24 am »
    Most of what I have looks like the third stomach.  Some possibly like the first.  Are they attached?  This was. 

Before I opened the box I had a headache.  As I ate a serving of good sized serving of the tripe today, the headache went away.  I suspect this tripe might be a very healthy food for me.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:05:10 pm »
    Did you get sick from it?  If so, what symptoms?
It just tasted so disgusting that I felt like wretching. Worst of all, it was at an Austrian restaurant so I felt obliged to finish it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:12:22 am »
 ;Dhi, tripe is my very favorite. my pre RAF diet, i tried couple of times in USA, those store brought tripe and  didn't like them at all. when i was in my country, i used to eat them a lot and that one just delicious! i usually ate beef and goat tripe. i always get the feeling to eat them raw way before i know that kind of raw animal food diet exist out there. i never washed them, but i'd seen my mom  washed them with salt and hot water. most of the people consider eating tripe as very dirty thing. so we used to get it sometimes and hide that from other people. it sounds very funny. in US it is very expansive and they clean it with high chemicals i guess. if rawzi gets more fresh tripe, please, inform me. i'll pay for the price and fedex charges. i miss that very much and i think i can eat them raw with no problem. when i started 1st eating raw meat, i just didn't like the taste. still i just don't like the taste of those store brought beef. but the other day when i get that fresh lamb, i just put them in my mouth and that's just delicious. same way, i love the raw lamb fat. they're just tasty that i never process them to make tallow or anything. i just chew them. i'm sure that i will like fresh raw beef someday.  ;D
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:45:14 am »
... tripe is my very favorite. ... in USA, those store brought tripe and  didn't like them at all. when i was in my country, i used to eat them a lot and that one just delicious! i usually ate beef and goat tripe. ... feeling to eat them raw way before i know that kind of raw animal food diet exist out there. i never washed them, but i'd seen my mom  washed them with salt and hot water. most of the people consider eating tripe as very dirty ... hide that from other people. it sounds very funny. in US it is very expansive and they clean it with high chemicals ... if rawzi gets more fresh tripe, please, inform me. i'll pay for the price and fedex ... i miss that very much and i think i can eat them raw with no problem. ...

I have a lot leftover having been soaked in room temperature water and celtic salt.  I'm going away tonight.  I'm going to throw some in the yard.  It did cost more than I think it should, but I know I'm lucky I got it.  I would send what I have here to you or carry it with me or both, but I think it will be problematic this time.  I'm sorry.  If you want next time, lets discuss in the ordering stage.  Orders have to be made before slaughters which are every ten or forteen days I think.  I'll PM you more. 

I have this deep feeling this tripe is very healthy for me and more people should try it. 

I want to get a sharp meat shears like GS to cut it more simply.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:01 am »
dear rawzi, thanks for your  generous answer. here, i want to write something that i was wrong to tell you that my mom uses salt. she never uses salt but calcium sulfate (the white things that can burn your tongue). in my country, they are available , people eat them with betel leaf.
bugs or country chickens

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:54:08 am »
I love Tripe!  One of my favorite foods growing up.  My mother just boils it, chop it into pieces and eat it with a fermented fish paste/sauce.  It's good to me.  It really doesn't have much flavor, kinda like chewing rubber.  I'm glad I was raised around eating organ meats. I'll eat anything. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 12:25:58 pm »
    Hi raw.  I just read or reread your answer now.  That's a soybean coagulant.  What does she eat it for, if you don't mind me asking?  Does it taste good?  Could this be why she's sick?  Or is she using it as some successful medicine?  I hope she continues to eat the good foods, and most of all continues to get well and get done with the symptoms.  I wouldn't mind learning more details of how to make the raw fermented fish that you have in your country.

something that i was wrong to tell you that my mom uses salt. she never uses salt but calcium sulfate (the white things that can burn your tongue). in my country, they are available , people eat them with betel leaf.
In the production of hydrogen fluoride, calcium fluoride is treated with sulfuric acid, precipitating calcium sulfate.
In the refining of zinc, solutions of zinc sulfate are treated with lime to co-precipitate heavy metals such as barium.
Calcium sulfate can also be recovered and re-used from scrap drywall at construction sites.
These precipitation processes tend to concentrate radioactive elements in the calcium sulfate product. This is particularly the case with the phosphate by-product, since phosphate rocks naturally contain actinides. Over 200 million tonnes per annum of calcium sulfate waste is produced by the phosphate industry

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:59:37 pm »
   Hi raw.  I just read or reread your answer now.  That's a soybean coagulant.  What does she eat it for, if you don't mind me asking?  Does it taste good?  Could this be why she's sick?  Or is she using it as some successful medicine?  I hope she continues to eat the good foods, and most of all continues to get well and get done with the symptoms.  I wouldn't mind learning more details of how to make the raw fermented fish that you have in your country.

dear rawzi, i'm wrong to pick up that chemicals that i don't know the english name. it looks very white and could burn your hand . so you figure it out. i'll try to give you the name. in my country people use them to clean the tripes.
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 03:31:58 pm »
I love Tripe!  One of my favorite foods growing up.  My mother just boils it, chop it into pieces and eat it with a fermented fish paste/sauce.  It's good to me.  It really doesn't have much flavor, kinda like chewing rubber.  I'm glad I was raised around eating organ meats. I'll eat anything. 

I like it too, but clean, and I can't seem to find it. 

I was lucky growing up, you could say.  My Mother prepared brains at least once, sweetbreads, liver, we ate lung and marrow, she made tripe too I think once, we ate giblets and hearts, we ate them plain, not in gravy, nothing fermented except sour cream though, a leftover from unprocessed milk days.  Lol, my Dad made sure we ate a little of a lot of different kinds of animals too.

Anyway, I bought more tripe now, but less pounds this time, and I explained to them first that again I want it only fresh not frozen but this time washed, even power washed; because the poopy-like stuff offends my household.  They sent me frozen poopy stinking  tripe in lots of water frozen.  They charged less per pound.  I complained verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry clearly.  They said they will let everyone know at their company and this won't happen to me again.  I wonder though, will they do it to other people? 

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 10:33:04 pm »
Tripe is processed quite a bit, and commonly bleached.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 02:48:04 am »
Tripe is processed quite a bit, and commonly bleached.

Yes, that's why I didn't buy it till months of searching for a farmer who would sell me unbleached, undyed etc.  They often would have dyed it green too.  I've only receive brown covered unpeeled half digested grass covered stink to the high heavens bits of fat stuck in a bunch of spots tripes so far.  I have to take the fat off, wash like hell (of course filtered water etc) and peel the linings off.  I wish they would rinse it first and peel maybe.  It smells terrible when I receive it.  I had no instructions either, so I made minor mistakes.  I wish there was an instruction manual.

I have seen it in a regular supermarket.  It was bright white and spanking clean.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 06:20:32 am »
   Yes, that's why I didn't buy it till months of searching for a farmer who would sell me unbleached, undyed etc.  They often would have dyed it green too.  I've only receive brown covered unpeeled half digested grass covered stink to the high heavens bits of fat stuck in a bunch of spots tripes so far.  I have to take the fat off, wash like hell (of course filtered water etc) and peel the linings off.  I wish they would rinse it first and peel maybe.  It smells terrible when I receive it.  I had no instructions either, so I made minor mistakes.  I wish there was an instruction manual.

I have seen it in a regular supermarket.  It was bright white and spanking clean.
recently me and my family all eating raw beef tripes. i pay almost $40 to $50 for an uncleaned whole tripe. i put that tripe in the freezer for a month. than one of those sunny day, i clean the entire tripes outside in my back yard. i don't use any chemicals. me and my aunt cut them into little pieces. we do have indian knives (some kind of knive that sits on the floor only). it takes hours to clean entire tripes. than i put them in my refrigerator and eat them little by little when i feel to eat. it is absolutely delicious! i realize that putting into the freezer, the dirty parts of the tripes get little loose and using indian knive, it's easy to remove the layers. i'm so happy with my supplier, the entire tripes have so much grass which is very visible. these tripes are naturally little salty (i was salt addict and stop eating any type of salt entirely about 5 months now). i'd love to know the nutritional facts of tripes. i always crave to eat some everyday. i eat it 2/3 times sometimes.   
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk